Car won't start, not typical issue, HELP!

mendoncyclesmith

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hey folks, so I really don't know where to post this, so I'm doing it here, since I'm not a mechanic, nor do I try to be!

I have a repeatable "issue" with my 2005.5 Jetta.

If I'm in a rush, and forget to wait the few seconds till the glow plug light shuts down, the car starts as it should, at least in warm weather. I do understand I should wait, and generally do.

However, if, in that rush, I happen to release the key from start, to, run, before it has fired up, the car will not start.

I can crank it for 30 seconds straight, nothing. All that happens then is a warning chime, and a message on the dash about motor oil pressure.

First time, I thought I'd triggered the Immobilizer function, then I learned it allows the car to start briefly, then shuts it down, this is not that, then.

Twice I have cranked it repeatedly over a period of days, to finally get it to cough, then, eventually start.

I have dragged it to pop start it too, it does so immediately and runs without issue afterward.

My question is twofold.

What the HELL is going on?

And is there ANY way that I can kick it in the pants when this happens, as pop starting it is not always an easily available option.

So far, these things have yielded no results.

Waiting, even days.

Multiple crank attempts (well, twice it did, but nearly drained the battery, so not really a viable option or one I want to rely on).

Disconnecting the battery (even overnight).

Touching battery leads together once both are disconnected.

Jump starting with jumper pack or other car.

Keying the vehicle several times before cranking to "super heat" the glow plugs.

Screaming obscenities.

Pleading with the diesel gods.

Etc.

Plainly, I try beyond all reason to not do this, but now and again it just happens.

If this is normal, I don't know why I never had it happen before, but this is my third TDI. Had a 2000 Jetta, and a 2002 Passat, never once did this happen, and I cannot say if I ever did this exact behavior, but I have to think I must have at least once or twice.

Thanks for reading my ramble, hoping I'm not just blessed with a vehicle possessed by a demon......

mendoncyclesmith

TDI
2002 Jetta
And I just found the "no start" thread, happily, I did not find my issue listed in a few minutes of searching, so, it stands as unique (unless I just missed it somehow)!

Truly, not trying to waste experts time here, all my local gurus are stumped, and most options tried, were suggested by them.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Sounds like your in-tank fuel pump is inoperative or failing.

If you turn the key to "run" and leave it there, do you here a hum in the back of the car? alternatively, you can listen at the fuel filler neck and have someone turn the key on while you listen.

mendoncyclesmith

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hmmm, would the exact action I take, cause that?

Car starts and runs normally, every time, for over a year, unless I stupidly release the key before the motor has started to actually run.

Thanks.

mendoncyclesmith

TDI
2002 Jetta
Worth noting, I can recreate this right now, it's not a mysterious random thing.

I'm curious if this may be unique to my car ( I did buy it used with 140K on the clock so who knows what it's seen), anyone with a 2005.5 Jetta willing to do the above and see if it happens to them?

Please know, I'm not trolling, I just don't do much work on my own car, so car forums aren't a place I hang out. I'm a 15K + response , active member on a similarly popular bicycle forum, and am keenly aware that I don't want to be that guy who annoys everyone when they don't get answers to their weird question, so feel free to tell me where I should head if it's not here....

Thanks all.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Worth noting, I can recreate this right now, it's not a mysterious random thing.

I'm curious if this may be unique to my car ( I did buy it used with 140K on the clock so who knows what it's seen), anyone with a 2005.5 Jetta willing to do the above and see if it happens to them?

Please know, I'm not trolling, I just don't do much work on my own car, so car forums aren't a place I hang out. I'm a 15K + response , active member on a similarly popular bicycle forum, and am keenly aware that I don't want to be that guy who annoys everyone when they don't get answers to their weird question, so feel free to tell me where I should head if it's not here....

Thanks all.
Are you able to find someone local with a VCDS to see which, if any, codes your car has. This would help in determine what steps to take next instead of guessing.

mendoncyclesmith

TDI
2002 Jetta
That's not a bad plan, I do know folks, but I guess I'd need to take it to them, trigger it, and have them read it, then pop start me to make it functional again.

Just an odd way to do it, hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I guess I was hoping someone with better mechanical understanding would be able to think it through, "when this is done, that is started in motion, but then by doing this, it inhibits that" etc.....

I'll check with my local mechanic, see if their willing to entertain my request!

So, I'm curious, anyone else want to try this, and see if it happens to them? For all I know, it's *normal*!

mendoncyclesmith

TDI
2002 Jetta
Okay, so as luck would have it, I was at my local garage yesterday, and they had a chance to plug it in.

No codes stored whatsoever.

I also, after they scanned it, tried to recreate it. I can only assume that due to being warmed up and running, it didn't do it.

So, not sure how I'll get a scanner to my driveway, or if it even matters now, since no codes were listed, and it's done it a few times since it was last connected to a scanner....

Asked the mechanic too, he said that it sounded odd for sure, and not normal as far as anything he'd heard of, and they do a lot of high end stuff as well as a ton of diesel, very good shop, reputation wise.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Sounds like your in-tank fuel pump is inoperative or failing.

If you turn the key to "run" and leave it there, do you here a hum in the back of the car? alternatively, you can listen at the fuel filler neck and have someone turn the key on while you listen.
His car is a 2002 year model which does not have a lift pump in the tank, unless it was added as modification.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
That's not a bad plan, I do know folks, but I guess I'd need to take it to them, trigger it, and have them read it, then pop start me to make it functional again.

Just an odd way to do it, hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I guess I was hoping someone with better mechanical understanding would be able to think it through, "when this is done, that is started in motion, but then by doing this, it inhibits that" etc.....

I'll check with my local mechanic, see if their willing to entertain my request!

So, I'm curious, anyone else want to try this, and see if it happens to them? For all I know, it's *normal*!
Which no start condition did you follow in this link?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398

Seems to me either 5 or 6.

Unfortunately the pictures are in photobucket hell. Did you follow this thread?

mendoncyclesmith

TDI
2002 Jetta
Which no start condition did you follow in this link?
So yes, as pointed out, it's a 2005.5.

#5 is closest, but assumes the condition is ongoing or constant.

My car starts, runs, and performs, 100%, all the time, every time, until I screw up in a hurry, and release the key from start, before the motor has actually turned over.

#6? It cranks just fine, its not slow.

If you think something in #5 is germane, despite my circumstances, please let me know.

Thanks!