Thoughts on going from 2010 JSW to 2015 GSW + Kerma Tune

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I turned in my 2010 JSW last Friday and picked up $16K. Last month I bought a 2015 GSW with 14K miles for $18.3K so it was a cheap upgrade for an almost new car. For others who are in the same boat, here are my thoughts on switching:

Pros:
1. The GSW is refined in many ways. I keep looking at different buttons and knobs and think how it's placed better or looks nicer.
2. I like the backup camera, KESSY, push button start, different hatch handle, paddle shifters on the GSW
3.The DSG feels smoother, as though it slips a little more when I let off the acc. It handles shifts in a smoother way overall. I don't like how it now revs at 1000RPM until I press the brake hard to make it drop to 800 at red lights.
4. The 150HP engine is nicer than the 140HP one. I can tell a difference from the SCR and extra power (* more on this below)

Cons:
1. The oil filter is now under the car instead of upright.
2. Need to buy DEF fluid
3. I have to reinstall all my old mods again.

Kerma Tune:
I noticed after the gen3 fix, the engine just doesn't feel the same. Mileage is still ok. Power is muted. I had REVO on my 2010 and overall happy with it. It made more power on the low end and smoothed out the power curve. I got it for $400 on sale and was happy with it. REVO doesn't do the 2015 GSW and it looked like only Malone and Kerma does it when I looked. I liked the idea of having the Q loader to reinstall tunes. I had to revisit the shop a few times to reflash the REVO when the dealer overwritten it. Kerma is $650 and I was hesitant to pay that much. I was thinking of passing.

After a few days of driving and noticing the engine feels a little sluggish (like me without coffee in the morning... a little slower and strained). It kept bugging me so I pulled the trigger and ordered the Kerma tune. It arrived yesterday. The ECU file is small (20kb) and the new tune is 1.7mb. It took a min to copy the original tune. It took 20 mins to write the new tune. It had to erase the old files and rewrite a bunch of times (like all the screens during upgrading my laptop from windows 7 to 10).

After I got the Kerma tune loaded... It really is worth it. I have no regrets! The engine pulls harder and the car feels a lot faster/more aggressive. Mileage so far went up too. To use the coffee analogy, it feels like I gave my car some redbull and it woke up and is ready for action.

I did a lot of research before and didn't find much about Kerma tunes on the 2015s and so I wanted to post this. I been on TDICLUB and driving TDIs for the past 10 years and tried various engines/cars and I really think this 2015 GSW is the best one. If you are in the same situation, I would not hesitate getting it tuned.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
As for the MPG, while it may get slightly better actual mileage on the tune (miles/gallons), the MFI scaling factor for MPG may be off much more, MFI shows 55MPG but you may actually be doing 48MPG.

Either way enjoy your tune.

Also you can buy DEF straight from the pump at larger turckstops slightly cheaper, it was 2.78/gal last time I filled up, all depends which you enjoy more, tuckstops of walmat.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
can anyone comment on the impact of said tune as it pertains to the extended warranty? Can the original tune be easily/undetectably flashed back onto the ECU if a warranty issue comes up and you need to bring the car to the dealer?

I heard that there was some sort of "flash counter" but have never dealt with these 15's before

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
can anyone comment on the impact of said tune as it pertains to the extended warranty? Can the original tune be easily/undetectably flashed back onto the ECU if a warranty issue comes up and you need to bring the car to the dealer?

I heard that there was some sort of "flash counter" but have never dealt with these 15's before
No one is going to have a direct answer for this, but I read the emission warranty and under the section, Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty, it states the following.

"Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the customer."

So I would assume that if you don't go crazy with the tune, you may still be able to have the warranty. I've heard of dealers signing off for some people that a stage 1 tune would not void the warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is a gamble to tune and then hope they don't find out. If the warranty means anything to you leave the car alone. The cost to repair will have some influence on how hard they may try to get out of it. I also wouldn't rely on the quote above from the settlement document. If there is suspicion/proof of tampering I don't think the judge would agree to that as that is exactly what VW is in trouble for (tampering and lying about it).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Flashing via ODB port toggles the flash counter, only bench flashing doesn't. If you have your tune installed and bring it in and they compare the car to stock file they will be able to flag you.

If you reprogram the ECU back to stock via ODB port, the comparison won't flag, they'd have to go by comparing the flash counter.

If VW tracks the flash counters they could claim you voided your warranty for that HPFP/DPF/Adblue heater you're looking to have replaced on their dime.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
It is a gamble to tune and then hope they don't find out. If the warranty means anything to you leave the car alone. The cost to repair will have some influence on how hard they may try to get out of it. I also wouldn't rely on the quote above from the settlement document. If there is suspicion/proof of tampering I don't think the judge would agree to that as that is exactly what VW is in trouble for (tampering and lying about it).
I heard the EGR flap opens a lot more under the "fix" and that it prematurely wears. The tune should prevent premature wear and prevent it from having problems in the first place. I am a gambling man (my biggest loss was $12,000) and I am willing to take a gamble on this one. I think the odds are very low of needing the emission warranty before it runs out.

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
I have had the Kerma tune for a while now on my '15 GSW I bought new…

I have not gotten the VW fix yet so I am using the latest tune from kerma for a car without the diesel gate fix.

The MPG reading is probably about 10mpg off, if it shows 45mpg, you're getting 35mpg.
Id be interested to hear how much yours is off or is mine the only one having this issue?

I put the car back to stock to take it in for the fix and will retune with the new tune from Kerma once it gets out… Hope it all works well.

My dealership doesn't mind tunes and will still fully cover the warranty with or without tunes.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Rocketchip also has tunes for 2015 cars.

I think anyone who takes a dieselgate vehicle to the dealer for warranty work with a tune installed is looking for trouble. It may not matter, but it would be safer to flash the car back to stock before the dealer visit.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
The MPG reading is probably about 10mpg off, if it shows 45mpg, you're getting 35mpg.
Id be interested to hear how much yours is off or is mine the only one having this issue?

I have noticed that my MFA Mileage is off by 8-10% my Fuelly has my records and its all over the map and not at all consistant.

My Fuelly calculated mileage is between 43 & 44 mpg tank over tank.

MFA will usually show 47-49 for the tank average. so no, you are not alone.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
My GSW (gasser) was off 7-8% optimistically.
You can adjust the compensation value with VCDS/OBD11. Now its only off 1% or so. (stock, no tunes)

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Can confirm, my computer is 10% optimistic. Was showing around 48 mpg for a tank but my fuel receipts indicate only about 44 mpg actual.

Tuning the car didn't really help, now the computer shows around 55 mpg for a tank but only 50 mpg according to my fuelling.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Any instructions on how to do this?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6...4/adjusting-fuel-consumption-vag-com-2857893/
I believe that worked fine for instruction for me.
"Correct Fuel consumption in DIS (C7): (Revised)
[17-Instruments]
[Coding - 07] > [Adaptation - 10]
Scroll down about 20 items in the drop down list until you see something like fuel consumption adaptation - change the value from 100 to higher or lower:
Example - if your DIS is consistently off by 7% to your actual calculated mpg:
You RAISE the number to the percentage if DIS is OVER reporting mpg (i.e. 107)
You LOWER the number to the percentage if DIS is UNDER reporting mpg (i.e. 93)"

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
I have the stage 2 Kerma, its pretty good. It doesn't pull hard to redline unlike my MK4 with malone stage 4. I realize this isn't a great comparison but its the best I have. Has anyone found a way to get more linear power from a kerma tune on the MK7?