My alh rebuild

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
A little background, I got my tdi back in December in a trade. It had 290k at the time. After 18k miles (I commute 120 miles a day) the motor gave out at my work which happens to be a full vw/audi repair shop.

Here's a pic of when I first got it

I forgot to take some pictures of the very beginning but oh well.

Got the motor pulled and everything separated.

By the end, I made a serious mess. I have lots if parts to clean.

Also debating that I may need to balance my crank, this wear is only present on 1,2,3 main caps. However, PO at some point resealed the front seal cover. When I removed the crank bolt I noticed that is was not as tight as it should have been.

By the end of this build not only am I planning a complete refresh, also planning on reupholstering my interior some, 1.8t brakes, long beaches, and some other goodies/mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The scoring on 1,2&3 bearings is due to oil starvation. Usually due to oil pan getting punched out and then the oil pump turns into a air pump and pushing all the oil out of the first few bearings.

Looks like my red 99.5 that I am rebuilding only your shell is a lot nicer...

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
After tons of research over the weekend that's the same conclusion I came to. Pickup tube wasn't clogged but it wasn't totally clean either. I've decided to simply have the crank polished since there is very very minor wear present on the main journals. Later this evening I will be measuring all the bores and the pistons to ensure everything is in spec before I put everything together, otherwise of course I'll have to get some new rods and pistons coming. Also, this shell isn't without it's flaws, I did have to clean it up a bit and later in the build when I start the interior work, you'll see the real wear and tear on this car.

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Got the pistons separated from the rods and measured the diameters. They're all serviceable according to Bentley. Tomorrow I'll pack em up and ship them out to get the skirts re-coated. Also sending the crank to my machinist to have the journals polished.

Did some cleaning...

And more cleaning...

And finally a freshly painted block.

Got lucky enough that my coworker felt really nice today and refurbished my headlights.

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
As if I didn't have enough alh's to work on, putting a new (used) motor in a customers car today because he windowed his block..

Also, these came in the mail today with a fresh new coating from Calico! Looks like I will be assembling my shortblock tonight!

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Progress was stalled since last week because I broke a piston ring. :/ however, a new set showed up today so I was able to make some headway.

TDIno

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Jetta
nice work. keep us updated with the progress of your build

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Sorry I haven't updated this, life has been very demanding.

I finished assembling the long block last week and I got it bolted into the car. Shifter is hooked up and I had some wiring repairs that I took care of. Also had to weld on one of the nuts for the core support back on. Should have some more news in a few days.

TDIno

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Jetta
Nice to know its running well now. What's your next plan with it?

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Currently waiting on my vnt17 to 15 adapter then I will be breaking everything in. I installed a hybrid vnt17/15 that I put together a while back.

Then I'm going to retrofit a 1.8t pancake pipe and put together a upgraded upper intercooler hose.

Need to drop the car off for at the exhaust shop as well for a 2.5 inch straight pipe.

More to come

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Update, the car has about 500 miles on it now, currently letting my father drive it around for the break-in since my commute is 55 of highway one way. The engine is running very well and the hybrid turbo is working well also. After the 1000 mile mark I will start driving it to work and start adding some of my other goodies to the car.

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
So far so good. The car is performing beautifully. I have added the late style cupholder to the car finally. Also installed a used sport suspension setup from a 04.5 GLI this evening to replace my "original" 319k suspension. Also fitted some wheels that I may or may not keep but currently I am happy with how it sits. Going to be adding some more goodies to the car after the holidays.

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Just discovered your thread, subscribing!

Looking good! I like the black grille, have you considered "joey modding" the headlights to match?

Thanks! I've debated throwing on some smoked lamin-x first to see if I like it.

Quick update, lowered the car more with bilstein struts and Nuespeed race springs. Also debase he the rear jetta emblem and added a red tdi badge as well as a red tdi grille badge.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Thanks! I've debated throwing on some smoked lamin-x first to see if I like it.
Ah, but the beauty of the "Joey-Mod" is that you only darken the parts that do not need to reflect light from the bulbs and it is also a good time to install new crystal clear glass lenses. Edit: your lenses look good and clear already.

TDIno

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Jetta
bilstein struts and Nuespeed race springs - sweeeeeet! looks more badass now than the last time i check out this build. nice work!

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Haven't posted in a while, time for more progress.

Came into a brand new set of PP357's for free so I decided to install them on a core set of injectors. Being that this was my first nozzle swap, the injector bodies leaked. So after that learning experience, I finally got time to reseal them (this time doing a better job of cleaning the caps as well)

Side note, pending the injector reseal is a immediate success, I'm fabricating a front mount intercooler for the car next.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Have you set the pop pressures? In my experience they will pop too low and ruin the nozzles after a while if the pressures aren't set...

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
Have you set the pop pressures? In my experience they will pop too low and ruin the nozzles after a while if the pressures aren't set...
To be honest, no, I did not set pop pressure, just straight nozzle swap. I wanted to see whether or not fresh nozzles would cure a power issue that I have been experiencing.

This summer I'm sending another set of injectors to dbw for a set of 764's installed, not fiddling with those.

TDIno

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Jetta
we've seen good progress on your build, pal. your car looks nice

Katahdin

TDI
2003 Wagon ALH
How did you go about the VNT15/17 hybrid? Im interested in how it compares to the VNT17 and such.

Jetfox

TDI
2000 5MT Jetta
How did you go about the VNT15/17 hybrid? Im interested in how it compares to the VNT17 and such.
It's not as good as a true vnt17. The car is faster than stock and I do believe it is a great mild upgrade, but unless you're building it yourself with parts you already have like I did, I would buy a vnt17. My vnt15 was going bad when my motor died so it was a no brainier to piece it together. Used the cold side impeller and housing from the vnt17 on the b5.5 PD Passat
I have been making some new additions on the car, currently dabbing up a front mount intercooler, swapped on some Aristos, repainting the front bumper, gauges, modifying a TT strut brace and some other stuff lol. I'll add some pictures as more stuff develops.