Help Vag Com IMF adaptation

mainjet

Veteran Member
interesting enough I tried an idea I had this morning. I went out and took the old ASV that I took off the car and placed it on the top of the engine. I then unplugged the connector from the insalled new ASV. I started the car and then shut it off. The old ASV swept shut/open/then shut open. I tried this a couple times then I plugged the connector back into the new installed part and started the car. After shut down I could her the ASV sweep closed and open, closed and open. I tried just turning the key but not starting the car. When I shut the key off I can hear the ASV working several times. Also you hear like a buzzing of some sort almost sounds like a faint tone/sound buzzing while the ASV is sweeping. When it finishes then buzzing stops simultaneously.

Also, once I performed this test, I was now able to clear the fault code with VAGCom. It had gotten to a point where I could not clear the code at all.

I don't know what all this means right now but it does tell me a few things.
1. I don't have to start the engine to hear the ASV working.
2. I know exactly what it sounds like now so I know what to listen for.
3. I know the new ASV (and the old ASV) are working properly.

So I think that I continue to narrow it to some kind of wiring problem. probably not a ground problem because it is intermitant, unless it's a chafed ground wire?

What do you guys think?

mainjet

Veteran Member
chased wires again last night until 1AM. All the wires look good. I do however have Mickey Mouse building a house between my hood and hood insulation. So originally I figured it was going to be that little rascle. Then I tried to get the wiper arms off so I could take off the cowl to inspect that wiring there. I could see under the cowl where the mice had built a nest right by the ECM/ECU.

I could not get the wiper arms off. I but break free on there and I used a little cheap puller and they still would not come off. So I had to clean the nest out the best I could stickeing a shop vac hose in there. Got it all cleaned out and using a mirror I can't see anything wrong. But I really can't see that great either. So I had to quit for the night.

If I could get those arms off I really have to believe that the mouse made some trouble under there.

mainjet

Veteran Member
Thanks Oilhammer.

Can I unplug the ECU without causing any problems? I read somewhere during all of this that unplugging it will erase some adaptations, true?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can unplug that one, it won't bother anything any worse that what you are already dealing with. Seems to me you still have to check the wiring there anyhow.

mainjet

Veteran Member
Well I have checked the wires again with no luck. I did get the wiper arms off and the cowl. I checked the wires going tot eh ECM the I could for visual damage. I did not see any signs of damage.

I hooked the ASV wiring into the old ASV and laid it on top of the engine. I notice that if I turn the key on but don't start teh engine and then shut it off the ASV does nothing. If I do the same thing and pause waiting for all the sensors to "click and pop" then turn the key off the ASV does nothing. BUT, if I turn the key on and immediately turn it right back off before the other sensors all get set then the ASV operates.

This hints to me that it is getting the power that it needs to work but that some other sensor is blocking it from operating.

I had my wife oeprate the key while I giggled and moved wires to see if there was any change - there wasn't.

Any thoughts on this?

muellgre

TDI
'06 Jetta
Did you ever get this resolved mainjet? I'm having a very similar problem. I haven't yet inspected the wiring and will do so tonight. I too have a new ASV and have never seen either the new or old ASV move when the engine is shut off. I will try your suggestion of quickly turning the key on/off tonight to see if the flap moves. Please let me know if you did get this resolved.

audiphile

Vendor
TDI
shop full of swaps
When found in a VW Golf/Jetta (1K): 1.9l PD-TDI (BRM), check Engine Control Module (ECM) Software Version:
03G-906-016-AB @ 7328 or 7550 as well as 03G-906-016-AC @ 7280 or 7551 do have a Software Error which requires a special Adaptation for the Intake Manifold Flap Motor (V157) which at this Point can only be performed with the Factory Tool.