'01 Strut & Shock Mount Question

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
My son replaced struts and shocks recently...

Rear mounts have been dosed with lock-tite and still seem to keep coming loose.

Front struts have been chucking after about 500 miles. Some have suggested that the upper rubber mounts may be upside down.

The rear I can probably figure out. Perhaps a Nylock bolt or something of the sort. The front I really need to know about. Have yet to see a diagram which clearly shows the correct position for the mount.

Thanks for your ideas.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
Most of those bolts are one time use with specified torque and then another quarter turn. I would have to go find my laptop to be sure. I had a few pounds of new nuts and bolts last time I did my shocks and struts. Did you get new bolts and nuts when you did the struts and shocks? Did you get new mounting hardware for the rear and new bearings for the front?
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=36_62

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Totally new hardware front and rear. Torqued to specs. Actually the rear isn't an issue as I can take care of the problem one way or another.

The front is really where I have the problem. The upper rubber mounts are tapered and I wonder if they're upside down? As I remember the tapered side was placed inside the tower... This by a shop the first time it was done. We merely duplicated the procedure when new struts were installed.

Thanks for any ideas.