97 Passat TDI Engine Cover

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
96 came with the same cover. So did any of the A3 Jetta TDIs.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
BKmetz said:
96 came with the same cover. So did any of the A3 Jetta TDIs.
Yep, 97 B4 as well, also A3/B4 covers are different.

bmixon, why do you want one so badly? Pretty much for looks. A lick of sound deadening assuming it's still got the foam, but aside from that it's just in the way!

bmixon

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Jetter_Sprinta said:
Yep, 97 B4 as well, also A3/B4 covers are different.

bmixon, why do you want one so badly? Pretty much for looks. A lick of sound deadening assuming it's still got the foam, but aside from that it's just in the way!
You're right, I wanted it pretty much for looks and I had read that it helps with the sound deadening. I just got the car last night and it is so nice and very clean under the hood that I thought it would give it the finish look. When I was looking for a TDI Passat, everyone had a cover so I got use to seeing the cover on the engine. Other than the sound deadening, does the cover provide any other function (likes helps the engine warm up faster and helps retains the heat in the winter months). I live outside of Philadelphia and it can get cold. I know if just a piece of plastic.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
warm up faster, I highly doubt it.
retain some heat, I'll buy that it would help slow down the cooling, but I'd doubt you'd notice any difference.
There is a pretty good chance that if you are able to find a used one that the foam will be gone anyhow. You'll have to improvise one in there, or bendova & go new:eek: .

It does give a nice finished look though:cool: .

Where did you get your 97? Have you any pictures? Miles?

bmixon

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Jetter_Sprinta said:
retain some heat, I'll buy that it would help slow down the cooling, but I'd doubt you'd notice any difference.
There is a pretty good chance that if you are able to find a used one that the foam will be gone anyhow. You'll have to improvise one in there, or bendova & go new:eek: .

I brought this car from a Volkswagen dealer in Virginia and had it delivered to my house. It was a one owner and only had 67730 miles on it. I had to act immediately or I would have lost the car to someone else. The owner traded it in and brought a brand new TDI. I was able to verify the mileage with Carfax, the owners name and address and the car was always services by Volkswagen. I was able to verify when the timing belt had been changed (at 54000 miles), whether it had been serviced properly and any warranty work done to the car. The car looks almost brand new inside and outside (at least to me). I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
paramedick said:
Nope, A3 Jettas are different shape. Have one here in the shop.
Hmmm.... I've worked on a bunch of A3s and didn't see any difference, but then I wasn't looking that close either. Learn something new everyday.

bmixon

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Photos of 97 Passat TDI

Jetter_Sprinta said:

Here a couple of Photos of the car. (97 Passat TDI) If you see anything strange about the engine, please let me know. I am still a newbie.

Last edited:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Very nice! It even still has the G12 coolant--that's often a rare find in some of these cars...
Personally I took off the engine cover on both of my cars--I think a nice polished engine looks better than a piece of plastic over it. The '97 cover I gave away, and the '98 cover I threw away. Oh well...sorry I can't help you with that.

Please feel free to check out my for sale thread if you need any filters or oil etc.. for your car, I deal a lot with the A3/B4 crowd!
Cheers,
-BB

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Wow congrats on the beautiful low milage car!! A B4 TDI with such low milage is a rare find indeed. My favorite color too. Take good care of her!

I've never seen a B4 engine cover that still had the insulating foam intact. I keep my cover on, mostly for the tiny bit of sound deadening that it provides. Takes away a very small bit of the clatter when at idle, but that's about it.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've thought of taking one of those tin-foil looking survival space blanket things and folding it up and attaching to the underside of the plastic engine cover. Maybe it's a good idea maybe bad, but seems like it might restore the insulating function of the now-MIA foam...

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Nice find! Even the headlights are pristine...

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Nice car. It's a small point, but the coolant return line going back to the reservoir is routed incorrectly. It is supposed to be between the two intercooler tubes, not underneath them. Look close and you'll see two "ridges" on the tubes where the hose is supposed to be within.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I don't recall seeing a yellow dipstick and guide tube before.
My (very early) 97 came with G11, not G12.

bmixon

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Thanks for the tip about the coolant return line going back to the reservoir. I will fix that in the morning. The only thing I know about the G12 is that the owner manual that came with the car had an insert that said "The coolant additive in your vehicle is different than the one specified in your Volkswagen Owner's Manual. The Coolant additive in your vehicle has the designation: G12 A8D. Never use any coolant additive other than our G12 A8D additive".

Thanks for your comments. I am still reading the owner manual and ordering the Bentley manuals.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Very nice looking car. I'm a recent B4 convert. They really are nice, and there are still some great ones around. Enjoy it. Mine came with an engine cover but no foam. On my A3 I put some sound deadening on the foam-less cover and reinstalled it, but I have to say I really didn't notice much of a sound difference.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
Nice car. It's a small point, but the coolant return line going back to the reservoir is routed incorrectly. It is supposed to be between the two intercooler tubes, not underneath them. Look close and you'll see two "ridges" on the tubes where the hose is supposed to be within.
Noticed that too, in addition it appears that those same two IC pipes are not fastened together which keeps that hose in its place. You'll see the location for the screw while relocating the hose. Be sure the engine is cool or you have bled off the pressure from the coolant bubble before removing the hose.

IndigoB4Wagon said:
I'm a recent B4 convert.
some people are slow to lean :p ;) !

bmixon

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Jetter_Sprinta said:
Noticed that too, in addition it appears that those same two IC pipes are not fastened together which keeps that hose in its place. You'll see the location for the screw while relocating the hose. Be sure the engine is cool or you have bled off the pressure from the coolant bubble before removing the hose.

some people are slow to lean :p ;) !
Jetter: I rerouted that hose this morning while the car was still cold. I noticed that screw missing but I thought if might be one of the holes for the engine cover. You really do have excellent eye sight to be able to pick that up off a photo. I don't have a Bentley manual yet. Does anybody have an idea what size bolt/screw that might be so I could go buy another one tomorrow. Thanks again for pointing this out.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The screw has a coarse thread, almost a sheet-metal screw. A wood screw may do the trick.
And the A3 cover will fit on the B4, but a B4 cover won't fit the A3.
The B4 cover has a longer 'nose' over the alternator than the A3. The A3 radiator is closer to the engine and moves the A/C line closer, too. The B4 cover would interfere if installed on the diminuitive A3.