Why I love my TDI

tkindler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2003, white
In April 2003, I made a 2000 mile trip from Louisiana to Indiana and back in my previously owned PT Cruiser. This past spring, in April, 2005 I made the same trip with my Jetta TDI. Just for grins I decided to compare my fuel cost on the two trips...I know, I know, I really need to get a life, but hey, it was raining this afternoon.

In 2003, with the gasser, I used 72.655 gallons of Unleaded regular at an average price of $1.44. Total cost for fuel: $105.33.

In 2005, in my Jetta, I used 38.351 gallons of diesel at an average price of $2.15. Total cost for fuel: $83.19.

Even with the increased price, I came out way ahead. As prices have increased, and people complain about the high cost, I just smile,
knowing I made the right decision to buy the TDI when I did. Besides that, the Jetta is a whole lot more fun to drive.

tkindler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2003, white
Went to Terre Haute. My son plays college baseball and they had some tournaments at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology there.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Terre Haute is about 40 miles (as the crow flies) south of me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The biggest reason I loved my '78 Rabbit was that even during the fuel crisis I felt like I could go anywhere I wanted. My wife and I cruised all over Southern California that winter, not caring about what fuel cost. There were no lines for Diesel, and an Iranian station (of all things) in LA had diesel for 36 cents/gallon. I usually could fill the car for $3.00.

Twenty-seven years later I feel the same way--I went for a drive to New Hampshire to try out my new springs and shocks in my '97 yesterday just for fun. It probably cost me $20, but that's pretty inexpensive fun. And I know I'll be hard-pressed to wear the thing out, too.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Three dollars? Stop, you're killing me. That's (barely) enough to get you one gallon now.
I had an 81 back in the late 80's, and worked about 35 miles from where I lived. It was all highway, and I could easily get 45 MPG. A crude car for sure, but real cheap to keep. Every now and then leaving a light I'd miss the shift and start in 3rd instead of 1st, but the car just chugged away.