So long and thanks for all the fish...

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Well, I got rid of my 12' TDI... For the first time in 12 Years, no VAG product is in the garage.

Loved the engine and the torque... but after many, many, many, many visits to the dealer for stupid body and fitment issues (just about every panel in my car has been pulled at least once, car was sent out to body shops to have welds redone. Last problem was the sunroof shade rattling (the slide broke), and then I notice after that the motor is starting to struggle, and it seems yet another weld has gone south (body flex caused a noise on the roof sounding like a loose weld, similar to the other ones they fixed. Lucky most people wouldn't notice it at first...

But... Dealer now considers that to be a "adjustment" as no parts are needed, so it would come out of pocket.

Basically got tired of fighting the car, having one thing fixed, and a few weeks later something else is loose/broken on the car... all with 17K on it.

Anyhow, I shopped the car around, and well... I can tell you, the HPFP issues and the body panel issues are known out there... I got some almost insulting offers. KBB "Excellent" trade on a TDI Prem+Nav DSG is only $19,500 now. Some of the local dealers are dumping loaded 13's for $23,800...

Seems the Passat TDI is killing Jetta TDI sales and resale values.

I'll probably hang around... still curious if/when VW figures the HPFP issues out... I think Diesel is a fuel. I'm also watching how Mazda's Diesel will end up (with LOW compression, which might be the solution!) But it's not here, and too soon to tell once it does...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Well I suppose that's how to play it safe, Zaphod. I guess I'm out for excitement, adventure and really wild things. ;)

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Damm shame, Mexicans must have been unhappy the day the car was built. My 2009 JSW has been perfect,knock on wood. In the old days they said it must be a Monday car. I would dump the car with those issues as well. Good luck on the next choice.

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
Well, keeping my fingers crossed, but I love my Jetta. No rattles or squeaks, and I'm impressed with the smooth ride, particularly as I run 45 psi in the tires.

Interesting about the low compression Mazda diesel, as the gassers go the other way. The new Mazda3 (which I test drove earlier this year) has a 12.5:1 compression ratio, and still runs on 87 Octane.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Well, keeping my fingers crossed, but I love my Jetta. No rattles or squeaks, and I'm impressed with the smooth ride, particularly as I run 45 psi in the tires.

Interesting about the low compression Mazda diesel, as the gassers go the other way. The new Mazda3 (which I test drove earlier this year) has a 12.5:1 compression ratio, and still runs on 87 Octane.
The 2.5l Skyactiv is 13:1 on RUG... If you look at the design, it's a high-tech version of Hondas old CVCC... in that a "rich" mixture is used to ignite a "lean" mix. Honda did it with a "chamber" around the spark plug... Mazda does it via a "cone" in the piston... when the piston is fully compressed the fuel is injected into the cone and ignited... it's so rich it doesn't knock, and the slight delay of the intake valve pulls in air outside the "cone"... the lean mixture.

Mazda also reconfigured the intake and exhaust manifold tuning them for this action.

Yeah... I'm impressed with it... That's why I just bought a '14 Mazda6.

Last edited: