2013 Passat TDI Extended Warranty - valuable or waste of $$$

FILMORE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
My apologies if this has already been discussed previously, but I'm getting ready to take delivery of a 2013 Passat TDI SEL and I've always purchased an extended warranty for my vehicles which has more often then not came in handy to repair items when they start to fail. My question is: Do I really need an extended warranty and if I do, are there companies that will sell directly to me or am I forced to go through the dealership and pay $$$$ in overhead? Thanks!

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
It's really a personal choice but IMHO the extended warranties are a waste of money. There are other companies out there that will offer extended warranties so you may want to get a few quotes to compare apples to apples.

I'm guessing that the $2-3k extra that you may spend on an extended warranty would be more than sufficient to cover most repairs.

Are you a DIY person or to you typically use the dealership/mechanic for your maintenance needs?

FILMORE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Definitely not a DIY - would use the garage/repair shop. rydogg - thanks for replying. I was just coming in to delete this post because I see a similiar post under VW's page which I'm reading. Thanks for the support!!

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Warranty a Ripoff

My apologies if this has already been discussed previously, but I'm getting ready to take delivery of a 2013 Passat TDI SEL and I've always purchased an extended warranty for my vehicles which has more often then not came in handy to repair items when they start to fail. My question is: Do I really need an extended warranty and if I do, are there companies that will sell directly to me or am I forced to go through the dealership and pay $$$$ in overhead? Thanks!
:) You're right about this being asked before. It is asked about twice a week and a scroll to the bottom of this page will give you links to lots of reading.

Nevertheless, rather than wasting money on an extended warranty from the dealer or other source, why don't you check into Geico Insurance's Mechanical Breakdown coverage. It gives you bumper to bumper coverage up to 100k miles or 7 years for a fraction of what an extended warranty will cost. It is far and away the best buy if you are looking for peace of mind.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
Here is one way to look at it depending on price and longevity, both of the cars potential to last and the owners interest in keeping the car for a longtime. I just got a Tacoma and bought the 100k btob for $1200. I drive 10k/yr or less and will keep this truck for as long as humanly possible. For sake of argument, say 12 years. (My 95 yota/w plow is for sale after 17 yrs). So for 100 bucks a year......peace of mind. Thats easy money... TDI could last a long time....you gonna keep it for a longtime, or do you like to drive new cars or like to trade up? If thats the case don't get the warranty. Hope that helps ya.

merk

soutthpawd

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The only warranty worth anythin is an OEM extended warranty. Also there are select deductibles. 0 50 100 bucks etc. Get the zero. Als those warrantys usually cost the dealer 1/3 to 1/2 what they sell for. Never pay more than half retail for a OEM warranty. Its great negotiation tool to complete the sale on your part.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will lose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay. Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price. They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money.

Good Luck

Note: recently it was pointed out that if the owner, or often the mechanic, fails to notice or properly evaluate a reasonable cost, it is easy to settle for a settlement cost far less than the real value and adjustment amount.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This has been discussed ad nauseum in the Passat forum.

The consensus is that we will argue about it until our fingers fall off or the keyboard breaks. It's up to you to decide whether or not it is work it for your own piece of mind or whatever.

Warranty companies are for-profit businesses and thus you need to be aggressive and/or lucky to come out on top. The odds are against you.

The other side of this argument would be akin to buying health insurance for the peace of mind of not having to pay out of pocket for a major problem.

Jason and I skipped the extended warranty and will deal with anything that comes up if/when it happens & both of us have very good health insurance.

Your mileage may vary! Good luck. :)

JDS

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
I would say as long as it is a factory warranty that will be serviced at any dealer, YES! I am not a first time VW owner, but I am a first time tdi owner. Purchased a 2012 Sportwagon in July and it is already in the shop with less than 700 miles on it. They have no clue what is going on with it, and we have requested a replacement vehicle. I would seriously doubt that my case is the norm, but lets face it: modern cars rely more and more on complicated electronics. I am an extremely savvy mechanic, but most mechanics will tell you that some of the hardest problems to diagnose are not mechanical, but electrical. I for one am past the point in my life where I want to be laying on the ground with a Fluke and a wiring diagram trying to figure out why my car is or isn't doing...well, whatever! If your key-less entry, key-less ignition, beautiful panoramic sunroof, or anything ECM related stops working two years after your factory warranty period is up, you will be sorry you didn't spring the extra. If you never have to use it, consider it cheap peace of mind on what could have been costly repairs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I didn't buy it but think that the one the dealer tried to sell me was fully refundable if you never used it. Of course then you have to determine if the return on your $2000 (estimate) would be better in your hands or the insurance companies. Call your auto insurance company and ask them if they have some type of major repair policy or for clarification of what falls under the comp portion of your current policy. You're already paying them for something you hope to never use!

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
I would say as long as it is a factory warranty that will be serviced at any dealer, YES! I am not a first time VW owner, but I am a first time tdi owner. Purchased a 2012 Sportwagon in July and it is already in the shop with less than 700 miles on it. They have no clue what is going on with it, and we have requested a replacement vehicle. I would seriously doubt that my case is the norm, but lets face it: modern cars rely more and more on complicated electronics. I am an extremely savvy mechanic, but most mechanics will tell you that some of the hardest problems to diagnose are not mechanical, but electrical. I for one am past the point in my life where I want to be laying on the ground with a Fluke and a wiring diagram trying to figure out why my car is or isn't doing...well, whatever! If your key-less entry, key-less ignition, beautiful panoramic sunroof, or anything ECM related stops working two years after your factory warranty period is up, you will be sorry you didn't spring the extra. If you never have to use it, consider it cheap peace of mind on what could have been costly repairs.
This is why I got the warranty on my Tacoma....electronics...and it was not expensive....$1200