Molded fuel line to filter Q

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I am getting ready to replace my fuel filter and during the last replacement, I found the molded lines were starting to show some slight exterior cracks.
Before I dive into replace the filter, I'd like to get the new lines first.

The pair of molded lines that need to be replaced is VW part number 3B0130295AA and cost about $50-$60.

Photo courtesy of club member blechale

The alternative is using bulk 5/16 fuel line, any objections to this? Or am I going to be annoyed with the lines flopping all over the place because the molded bends are critical?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
It would not cost much to find out. That hose pair does not look very "molded".
Zip tying them together and onto surrounding components can help guide them around the space...so long as they are not free to rub holes in themselves or the component.

Last edited:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I decided to go ahead and try it with the bulk hose. Purchased 3 feet of 5/16 inch Gates Barricade for $15.
Here is the stock molded hose.

Here it is with the bulk hose.

It's not too bad but it does touch the firewall while the molded hose does not. I would imagine in time the vibrations would cause a wear mark on the the firewall and insulation.
Personally I would prefer the molded hose because it fits better. But if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, the bulk hose can be made to work.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I know I have to do mine sooner rather than later. But, I think I'll find a long piece of heat shrink tubing instead of the two bands like yours. Thoughts?

I decided to go ahead and try it with the bulk hose. Purchased 3 feet of 5/16 inch Gates Barricade for $15.
Here it is with the bulk hose.

It's not too bad but it does touch the firewall while the molded hose does not. I would imagine in time the vibrations would cause a wear mark on the the firewall and insulation.
Personally I would prefer the molded hose because it fits better. But if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, the bulk hose can be made to work.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I know I have to do mine sooner rather than later. But, I think I'll find a long piece of heat shrink tubing instead of the two bands like yours. Thoughts?
I just took the bands from the old lines. It doesn't need much to keep them together. After a few days of driving, I could see wear marks starting on the firewall.

Initially I thought of zip tying the lines to something to keep it away from the firewall. The charge air tube seems to be the best, but it's too far way. If you zip tie close to the charge air tube it will cause a severe bend to the line. If you let it loose, it will just vibrate and probably wear a hole on the line or charge air tube.

I like the idea of trying the shrink wrap. Perhaps it will work in using the shrink wrap and heat it to mold the bends to prevent the lines from touching the firewall.

But of course if you don't have the time or patience to go through that, I will just recommend buying the OE hose and be done with it.

On a side note. The metal lines are kind of flimsy and can easily bend. Instead of twisting and twisting the old hose off the metal lines, just take a razor blade and cut a slit to release the hose from the metal line. It will save you from deforming them.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Thinking out loud... Encase the two hoses in heat shrink tubing. Connect the hoses, but do not shrink just yet. Take a piece of fairly rigid wire and zip tie it to the hoses to hold them in place. Then heat shrink the tubing and tighten up he zip ties. Instead of using zip ties, you could use some bands of heat shrink tubing or a slightly larger diameter tubing to fit over the hoses, the first heat shrink tube, and the wire.

Edit: you could use the wire to form a bracket rot two (like a muffler hanger) to attach to whatever is handy.