Automatic folding mirrors, installed, PICS/MOVIE

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy said:
T12 is the mirror harness, T29 is the window motor/controller harness________________
Driver's side: T12/1 to T29/13, T12/3 to T29/9
Passenger's side: T12/1 to T29/16, T12/3 to T29/26

Take the scotchlocks and on the mirror harness scotchlock pin 2 and 8 together. Wiring done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanna make sure I understand this correctly:
T12/1 to T29/13, T12/3 to T29/9 means T12 pin 1 connects to T29 pin 13 and T12 pin 3 connects to T29 pin 9

Is that correct?

Thanks

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Yep...
That's it.
T12 is the harness at the end of the mirror. T 29 is the harness that plugs into teh mirror motor.
Simply slide the purple retaining plug out on T 29, plug one end of a 000 979 133A wire into the corresponding slot, run it to the male side of T12, open the connector up and plug in the other end. Done.

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
Sorry to drag this up from the dead but I finally got around to installing my mirrors(4 months later) and made the connections exactly as listed and double checked them but my mirrors don't adjust or fold and my windows don't go up or down consistently.

HELP!!!

thanks
Jason

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
yes, i replaced the motors. I got them brand new from the dealership so I don't know what year they are. My VW is a 2002

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Did you ground the folding mirror motor? I think pin 2 needs to connect to pin 8 IIRC. It's been a while.

L

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Nefarious...
I need the PN's on your window motors and your mirrors. Are they definately from a 2002 Passat that had folding mirrors? You then extracted the electronics from the Passat motor housing and replaced them with the electronics in your Jetta motors?
- I found that if you installed Window motors from a pre 2002 car into a 2002 > car, the mirrors would not respond. Has to do with the cars electronics being converted from static to dynamic can-bus in 2001.

How did you get them new at the dealer? The window motors for the Bora equipped with power electronic folding mirrors are ONLY sold in Europe/UK. Passat GLX's in the US have a power folding mirrors, which makes them much easier/cheaper to source... but you have to replace the electronics to install the motors into the Jetta, as the motor housings are different.

Either way, whatever you installed, your mirrors should continue to "adjust". If they won't even adjust, I suspect you have window motors for a 2001<... and the CCM can't communicate correctly.

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
I'll check the PN as soon as I get back into town. As for getting the motors, I had Blitzen155 on vortex get them. He asked what yr my car was so I assume they are correct.

And yes, i tied pin 2 and 8 together.

Thanks for all the help
-Jason

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
So you are saying that if you have an 01 you need the earlyer mirrors? Don,t want to buy the wrong ones.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Jerry,
Yep. If you have "static can-bus" you'll need to find folding mirror motors from a 2000/2001 Passat GLX (with folding mirrors.
While trouble shooting my mirrors, Lito sent me a spare 2000 Bora motor. When i plugged it in, I got NO response from anything.

Only issue, not sure power folding mirrors were offered on the Passat before 02. Might have to get some motors from Nathan.

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
I bet you have folding mirror motors for a 2001 <.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the pn for the 2001-earlier and 2002-newer?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have everything for the memory seats/memory mirrors for now. Later on when i find a good deal on the folding mirrors i will go that way.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I finally remembered to get the PN's while.
1J0 959 802 G/04L
1J0 959 801 F/04L

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...
2000-2001 motors per ETKA, which are totally incompatible with YOUR 2002 car... Hate to say it, but please reread my FIRST post on this topic... The appropriate part numbers are listed there.

You need 2002+ motors.

1C0 959 801 B
1C0 959 802 C

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Would it be much trouble to list
the PN's
for the 2002+ (my car is '03 but Nov/02 on the door)
so the motors and housings PN's
and i want to get the Big Passanger mirror not the chubby one.Perhaps a British Driver side mirror as Lito once suggested.
So that i can send them to GSXR600 who's been kindly PMing me.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only problem with the Right Hand drive mirror is that you cannot adjust it like the US passenger's side mirror. If you're the type that needs to see the side of your car in the mirror, then don't do it.

The best you'll be able to pull that mirror in is to see 18-inches beyond your rear fender. The right hand driver's side is not meant to adjust that much.

It'd be like sitting in your passenger's seat and trying to ajust your driver's side mirror so you could see the side of your car. It ain't gonna happen /images/graemlins/frown.gif

L

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be much trouble to list
the PN's
for the 2002+ (my car is '03 but Nov/02 on the door)
so the motors and housings PN's
and i want to get the Big Passanger mirror not the chubby one.Perhaps a British Driver side mirror as Lito once suggested.
So that i can send them to GSXR600 who's been kindly PMing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

BoostTDI, the part numbers I listed on the first page are the 2002+ numbers: From my first post

First, a parts list. The parts listed are for late 2001 models and beyond (vehicles with dynamic Can-Bus). The parts list is the same for 2000 and before vehicles, but the window motors are different.

Window motors,
drivers 1C0 959 801B,
passenger 1C0 959 802C

German electrically operated/heated folding mirrors
Drivers side: 1J1 857 507 (F or G) F - without memory, G- with memory
Passenger side 1J1 857 508 (F or G or AM), one is the stubby mirror...

Newer style mirror control knob with folding mirror control: 1J1 959 565 A

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Lito thanks for explaning this more deeply.

So.. for my November'02 ( 03 title )
i'll need ...

drivers 1C0 959 801B,
passenger 1C0 959 802C

German electrically operated/heated folding mirrors
Drivers side: 1J1 857 507 (F or G) F - without memory, G- with memory
Passenger side 1J1 857 508 (F or G or AM), one is the stubby mirror...

My question can i somehow get a BIG passenger mirror.
Is that what AM above means ?That if i order the above number with AM option i get - stubby mirror.
Aren't those Passat mirrors the same size, can't we just take a complete assembly and change only the mounting part of it?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have to disassemble the mirror at this point

There is a microswitch that need to get attached underneath which the stock Jetta housings don't have a provision for. It's critical to the folding operation as the microswitch tells the mirror when to stop folding

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
Thanks for all the help. Now I get to fight with the dealer since they are the ones who sent me the wrong PN. This should be fun.

Anybody have pre2001 car that wants to buy these motors?

blowfish

Hi Guy,

Can anyone ever think if we can use our keyfob to lock the door and at the sametime fold the side mirror?

Hope can have this function, its cool'em

Anyone please advice?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As a matter of fact...autowindow's controller can do just that. I've got mine just haven't installed it yet.

Lito

blowfish

Hi,
Can you help mew to understand more, cos, the street are to narrow and brain are not so active hehe, i will forget eventually, cos got tonnes of work to do.
So if can get this working we will be so happy.
Hope you guys can help?

See you all

blowfish

fuzion

I'm going to have to bring this topic up again as ive just recently found it (better late then never, gimme a break!).

My question is this, can i just get s/h auto fold mirrors from a bora or a-like and also the different mirror switch (with heating, fold option on it) and will it be plug and play? Or will i have to change it all.

Also, why do the power window regulators need to be changed in order for this mod to work?

Any info appreciated guys! sorry ;P

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
In need of a '04 golf drive side mirror.

PM me please with info, I'll buy the pair. Dumb story, but the car was parked in a narrow road section, nice option with the auto fold!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
From the first post:

Since the folding mirrors are controlled by the window motors they have to be replaced. The Jetta motors don't have the proper electronics installed in them. The only difference between standard Jetta motors and Bora motors with folding mirrors is the electronics inside them.
Also from the same original post:

I studied the motors for a while and then decided they can't be much different than the Passat window motors. Passats in the US come with an optional "folding mirror with memory" optiion. .....Turns out the only difference between the Bora and Passat motors is the housing. 2 minutes of dissassembly and the "electronics" can be swapped into your existing Jetta window motor housings creating "frankenmotors" that are identical to Bora folding mirror motors.