www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old January 3rd, 2018, 22:43   #16
benchote13
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta, 2000

No I think we were both referring to the big bolt in the middle of the pump head. Where is the leak coming from? If it's from the head seal, you may have pinched the seal or didn't clean the head and the seal groove well enough or perhaps your leak is from the aforementioned bolt in the middle of the pump head. It has a seal that may be leaking and you need a special socket or a customized one to re&re the bolt.

My seal change appears to have been successful as it's been a couple months and it's still dry. BIG SHOUT OUT to Crawdaddy for lending me the tools required and to Nigel/Wingnut for coming through with the seal.

If done carefully, it's not a difficult job, and can be done on the car as per the video, just need to make sure you clean everything well, including the little seal groove and don't pinch the seal on the way back in. I powerwashed the pump beforehand and cleaned it with break cleaner as well.
benchote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:50   #17
BakoTDI
Veteran Member

Oh ok, I hear ya! Dang it! I guess I will have to get that seal back out and replaced with the second one I got in the kit from dieselgeek. they called it, if you damage the first one, you'll need the second one!
BakoTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 17:39   #18
BakoTDI
Veteran Member

Default Update:

so I cleaned up the area around the pump using brake cleaner. I removed the fuel injection lines and disconnected all the electrical connections sitting under the injection lines, just to have some room. Stuffed plenty of paper towels to catch as much fuel as I could. Removed the bolt sitting in the middle of the larger bolt with the weird head (pic below) and used this tip (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...90&postcount=3) to get the pump on cam. Got the pump head to expose the seal and used a q-tip to wipe off any debris that might have fallen in the groove of the o-ring. Used some air to blow off any loose debris in the gap or on the o-ring itself. Not sure if that did anything but once that was done, I slowly tightened the head bolts (T-30) to get the head back onto the body. Put everything back together and primed the pump using a mity-vac. Anyway, cranked engine a bit and got the engine to run.

checked for leaks and so far, a day later, haven't seen any. I think the most important part is to make sure that you bolt up the head back onto the body of the pump as evenly as you can so that the seal doesn't catch on any side.

Thanks for all the awesome input from the TDI Club community!

Old March 12th, 2018, 00:31   #19
p377y7h33f
Veteran Member

i know this is necromancy, but i wanted to share how i pinched my first head seal, and how i've been on my knees for the last two hours trying to get the o-ring into the groove all around.

it was at the bottom, of course. i didn't bother with the mirror the first time around, and now that i saw how badly i pinched the seal, i made sure to check the entire groove. the tiniest mirror i could find still doesn't fit all the way under the head because of that damned "cold injector" valve, and opposite of that damned valve i can barely see a tiny piece of the old seal stuck in the groove, preventing the new seal from snapping in. i got to it with a curved pick, which was nothing short of a surgical procedure, but i still can't see whole entire groove, and not sure if i may have pushed that piece deeper under the pump or if it has fallen out, or if the new seal is 100% in place all around. what a PITA!

having no spare seal, i'm hesitant to drive the head back in blindly. it's probably about a 1/2 inch of the groove's length that escapes my mirror, and the only confirmation i can come up with is the way a trimmed q-tip slides under the head and that it feels like the seal is fine all the way around.

so far every mention i've seen of removing that valve requires the IP to be out of the car. did i say this job turned out to be a major PITA? gonna have to risk it, can't afford more down time. with my luck that blind 1/2 inch will be out of groove.
SBC Stage 2 Daily, Garrett GT1749VB, Bosio DLC1019, ARP Head Studs, BRM Oil Pump Sprocket, 1.8T Pancake, DG Racepipe, New South Performance Boost Gauge, Frostheater, Koni FSD, BFI Rear Torsion Bar, Seat LCR Strut Mounts, R32 Front Springs, European Towing Rear Springs, BMW M 17" Wheels with ECS Tuning 20mm Adapters
p377y7h33f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2018, 12:35   #20
BakoTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p377y7h33f View Post
gonna have to risk it, can't afford more down time. with my luck that blind 1/2 inch will be out of groove.
what helped me the second time (with same seal) was to grease up the seal and use some q-tips to clean off the groove...then used some carb cleaner to blow off debris, and at the same time it dries off very fast. I made sure to cover the bolts holding the pump head on with tape to avoid any nicks on the seal. I definitely recommend using a mirror and some picks to make sure the groove is nice and clean. Your wife's or GF's compact's mirror will do the trick if you don't have an automotive mirror.

Wish you the best p377y7h33f!
Old August 24th, 2018, 20:20   #21
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

In case someone comes on here looking... RoselandTech has both the Bosch and Dieselgeek seal kits in stock... Purolator delivery was $16... got here in a jiffy...

Y.

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote