BEW Glow plug harness

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
A simple, maybe even philisophical question...

Why are the wires on a replacement harness so long?

I have enough wire to connect my glow plugs to the Jetta parked next to me at work!

It looks like the wires are twice as long as needed to get back to the relays.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
A simple, maybe even philisophical question...
Why are the wires on a replacement harness so long?
I have enough wire to connect my glow plugs to the Jetta parked next to me at work!
It looks like the wires are twice as long as needed to get back to the relays.
Because they are meant to replace aaalllllllll the way back to where they originate in the harness...

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
8.5 feet? Hoping there is not that much wiring harness loom, tape, clips to replace this.

I was thinking of cutting and splicing fairly close to the glow plug end of the harness.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I too did the splicing using only a foot of the 8ft. of wire that came with the new harness. Can't imagine that the original harness is that long from the GP's to the left side cowl.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Schultz-I was worried about splicing it so close, and cutting off the extra wire that could be used as backup for the Trans Atlantic telephone cables. Don't be, works perfect and saves you tons of time....

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A friend of mine has all 8 ft wound up in the engine compartment. He has it connected properly he’s just prepared for that Trans Atlantic phone crisis Vince is talking about.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
LOL, don't complain about that extra wire. You'll need it somewhere.

I think I've used all of my extra for other repairs. Frankly, I wish they would have sent more.:D