Broken power mirror fix

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
So your mirror goes up and down, but not right to left? or the opposite? or Not at all? well as long as you can hear the motors turning you may be able to fix it!

After purchasing another mirror to replace my broken one (broken in a different way) I got one that would not go left to right. I have taken apart mirrors before. I had to do a hack job temporary fix on my old mirror. So I figured I would try to fix this one. I actually fixed the one on the car and recreated the defect on the one on my desk to take pictures.

First step is to remove this little black rubber nubbin.

I prefer to get my little pick tool under the top flap stab it in there and pull it out.

Next slowly maneuver the mirror glass till it is flush to the colored part of the assembly.
Then you can insert your tool (screwdriver, pick tool, whatever as long as it fits in the hole.

You are trying to move this clip toward the front of the mirror, the tool needs to go in that hole and then you will need to gently pull the handle of your tool toward the front of the car.

The cover should be released and you should be able to slide it up. Go straight up all the way and it should come right off.

Now you need to remove the glass. There are 4 clips that hold it to the round mirror adjustment assy. You can either pry off each clip individually, or just move the mirror to one side and gently pull it off.

Disconnect these 2 wires.

Now the ball circled in blue is ok and in the right position. This one controls the up and down. The ball circled in red has popped out of its "socket." This is why my mirror would not move right and left.

Closer

Last edited:

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
It should not look like this:

It SHOULD look like this:

Now I slowly moved the ball portion above the socket portion by prying on it with my pick tool.

pull out gently on the black ring and align the ball and socket

pinch the ball back into the socket

Fixed!!

Reconnect the wires to the glass, pop the glass back on, slide the painted cover back on, and push the rubber nubbin back in. You are all done. Enjoy your properly working mirror!

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Mike96ZJ said:
First step is to remove this little black rubber nubbin.
Sorry to intrude but my rubber nubbin is missing and the frame rattles, could that be the cause?
Does this nubbin have a part number? anyone know it?

thanks

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
I don't think think that would be the cause might just be a rock or a piece of broken plastic you could take off the mirror to have a look it's pretty easy to pry off.

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
Nice! Such a simple fix for an issue that I'm sure sent lots of people off buying new mirrors.