Limp Mode? Not resetting on re-start

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
UPDATED
Just starting a long road trip in my 2004 Golf TDI and, of course, check engine light comes on.
Feels like turbo is not boosting, but can still accelerate reasonably on the flat & maintain 110 - 120 km/hr.
Took to a local mechanic who said the error was "low turbo boost error", 16686 and reset it.
The intercooler hose was loose at the part where it connects to the top of the engine - sliding in & out about 1/8". I wrapped it with self-sealing silicon tape & it doesn't move any more. Was able to drive around town with no issues, but once I got on the (level) highway, the check engine light came on again, after about 25km. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/a4/TB_head_rem/pdtb13.jpg
Turbo itself is also leaking oil from both sides.
Main question is - Is this limp mode? From what I could read, limp-mode should reset when the engine is turned off & on again. That is not happening - engine.
Thanks for the help
Andrew

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I've had to change that same hose due to worn out nubs/barbs. In your case, if you don't know the code that the CEL was displaying I would go ahead and have the vacuum system tested. The turbo actuator might not be holding a vacuum, which was my problem. I forgot the DTC at the time, but managed to chang a leaking BW actuator with a Garrett actuator. That cured my limp-mode which it seems you are experiencing, but I had to have the software changed to accept the new actuator(VNT delete).

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Thanks for the quick reply,

I updated the description with the error code. Now I've also found that the turbo itself looks to be leaking oil - from both connections. There is some white smoke, but I'm not sure if that might be because engine oil is slightly high?

A

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Thanks for the quick reply,

I updated the description with the error code. Now I've also found that the turbo itself looks to be leaking oil - from both connections. There is some white smoke, but I'm not sure if that might be because engine oil is slightly high?

A
Oil should not be "high".

Not sure about the turbo on the PD (I never had one), but you're pretty much describing a turbo going belly-up for the ALH.
Have you verified your intercooler and pipes are puddle-free?
Needless to say, the whole charge air system, pre-intake, needs to be fit, and tight. Shouldn't have to use tape.
Recommend: make sure your mechanic is familiar with your '04!

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Thanks for the comments & suggestions ... ended up taking it to a "guru" here in Calgary who determined that the turbo was seized & needed replacement. Cost about $3,000 CDN! The "loose" intercooler line turned out to be "worn, but ok for now".

So, in this case, it wasn't any of the more affordable fixes ... it was just a plain ol' dead turbo. The fact that "limp mode" was not resetting when I cycled the ignition might have been an indication that something was seriously wrong.