Steering lock /Key cylinder issue

2manycars

TDI
'01 & '02 Golfs, '02 '03 '06 Jettas
So my wife take her '06 Jetta has a failed steering lock or key cylinder, the key will only turn far enough to unlock the steering. I pulled the lock assembly and ordered a new lock and key cylinder matched to the car. The parts show up, all good so far, I start looking into how to install the key cylinder into the lock and start finding these horror stories of folks locking up their new parts and have to order a 2nd set some locking those up!

What looks to be the correct method is set the key cylinder to the ON position insert a pin to hold the locking arm in the unlocked position and setting the steering / ignition lock also to the ON position and pop th key cylinder in, OK sounds good. The new OEM steering lock right out of the box locked up, it will only turn maybe 10 degrees. Every thing I see online of people working on these they turn with no problem. Am I missing something or is the lock I got defective?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

jef00001

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 2006.5 Jetta TDI sold
Same problem, I think my new ignition lock cylinder is also locked up. We’re you able to get yours working?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The ingition switch housing should come with it already turned to the on position and usually a rubber band around the column lock so it doesn't pop out should someone decided to turn it to the off position.

Ideally, you remove the rubber hands after ensuring the housing is in the on position, install it into the steering column so the column lock can't come springing out and thus allowing several other lock housing internals to come apart. Then install the tumbler (also in the on position, but I don't believe needs the pin to keep the retainer piece retracted--it should compress and allow it to be installed easily. Mostly just need the pin to remove the tumbler from the housing).

It is possible to re-assemble the housing should all the internals come flying apart, but you're going to spend a couple hours cursing while these little pins and springs come flying out as you attempt to get things reassembled in the right order. Feels like playing with a Chinese finger trap. And of course if one of those pins or tiny springs flies away and you can't find it anymore, give up and buy another whole assembly anyway!

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
When I had the steering lock issue, the tumbler component itself was not the problem, the steering lock assembly was. These are not the same things. The tumbler fits into the steering lock assembly, which has an inherently weak design that causes all the problems.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If your parts guy is worth a damn, he would have opened the box in front of you. Showed you the lock is not popped, and explained that at no point should you monkey with the lock until you put the ignition cylinder in.

If anything gets moved without the ignition cylinder installed, the lock will pop up and there is absolutely no way to reset it. You will be stuck buying a new one.

I can’t tell you how many I have sold where the customer monkeyed with it and the lock popped up. I only know it was their fault because I inspect every one and initial inside the box so I know I looked at it just before sale.

Here’s a pic. If the tab is up as circled in this pic, it’s done. Buy a new one.