windshield defective

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Noticed when driving directly into sun late afternoon that windshield appears to have minute pitting. It isn't pitting, its the laminate layer and with the sun hitting it directly, looks like its sand blasted, although surface is smooth. Its easy to see and looks like glass is dirty. My detail shop checked it out as they had coated the windshield with ceramic -pro "rain". They removed the rain and it made absolutely no difference and spent a hour cleaning and cleaning glass. I'm going this afternoon at 4pm, when the sun is at optimum angle to show dealer. If it was good Saint-Gobain, French glass instead of whatever, I'm sure it wouldn't be bad. Anyone else notice this problem? Doesn't show up at nght, only visible with sun. Polarised sun glasses really make it easy to see.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Sand pitted glass becomes obvious at night, each little pit shows up as a sparkle when headlights hit the shield.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Yeah, I haven't been impressed with the glass in either of my Mk7s. Not terrible, mind you, but not great either. I really got spoiled by my Gen 4 4Runner. Those things have extra-thick windshield glass to avert chipping, due to the angle of the windshield, and the quality and sound deadening of the glass is impeccable.

Probably wouldn't hurt to try waxing the windshield. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be a worthy experiment.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
there are no surface pits, and the rain coating made no difference. Its definately in the plastic laminating layer

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
I've noticed the "hazing" too. Buffing, waxing, rainXing doesn't help, so I assume it's the inner laminate.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dealer confirmed that the haziness is from the laminating plastic layer. Parts dept told me there were 14 different part numbers for mk7 windshields. I certainly don't want another crappy Mexican one. I'll bet shaded ones are available from Saint-Gobain in various colors. On my black b5.5 I used a grey shaded one that was much better than the original green one, much better as for uv and truer color light transmission. I recommend anyone with mk7 carefully check their shield. Easy to do with a bright flashlight or directly into sun. Make customer service aware that this is totally unacceptable to have used cheap glass. On a windshield, wintertime with the sun glare its a definite safety issue.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you don't want another crappy Mexican windshield, how do you stand driving a crappy Mexican compact car?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Car is fine, windshield is awful. Seats sucked, replaced with R seats, headlights were pretty bad, replaced with Ed's, windshield will be fine too once its replaced with a quality one.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I too was amazed that there were so many windshields with the MK 7. I want to replace my windshield too eventually as the first owner managed to scratch the windshield by not replacing the wiper blade. I am waiting until spring. My windshield also has what looks like pitting like the original poster indicated. Because my car has the windshield wiper sensor, that is yet another part number in the mix. I will probably do this out of pocket as I don't want a claim on my insurance.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Leicaman, glad you saw the defects as well, being an optical expert. There may be a way to determine the manufacturer from the part# I've read that when they have a cracked one for no obvious reason, they've been replaced with Saint-Gobain. I'd almost bet VW knows about the crap guality of the original install of Mexican glass. There is a huge glass distributor close by and Ill find out if they stock golf mk7 w/shields in S-G

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Leicaman, glad you saw the defects as well, being an optical expert. There may be a way to determine the manufacturer from the part# I've read that when they have a cracked one for no obvious reason, they've been replaced with Saint-Gobain. I'd almost bet VW knows about the crap guality of the original install of Mexican glass. There is a huge glass distributor close by and Ill find out if they stock golf mk7 w/shields in S-G
I would have lived with the "pitting" (not happy of of course), but the windshield wiper scrape, has put me in the replace eventually camp (like this summer). If there is a good solution, I have time to wait out the solution. If it is something that can be had from the dealer's parts dept., I get 20% off list as my local VW club has such an arrangement. My glass guy said' he'd charge me $100 to install. They have my confidence as they have done several of my windshields through the years. Will just hurry up and wait. If it was really sand pitted, then the front end of the car would show the rash, but in this case it does not.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depending on the angle the sun hits shield, it can appear as a scummy area that isn't clean or at this time of year, driving Westward at 4 pm when the graininess of te laminating plastic layer makes it really obvious. All w/shields have a dot number that identifies manufacturer of the glass and other spec. I will find out Tue what other shields are available and post along with the dot number.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just some points of reference; not sure if they help you at all:

Windshields on both my 2015 GSW and my 2016 GTI are Vitro brand. Markings are:

// VITRO
E9 in a circle
DOT46 M431A AS1
43R - 000499
CCC in a circle
E 000298
A

GTI is exactly the same markings except ..6 instead of ...5 (likely model year)

Also, the GSW has:
Saint Gobain driver and passenger front glass
Vitro driver and passenger rear (and mini panel) glass
Fuyao driver and passenger rear quarter glass
Saint Gobain rear glass

GTI is Saint Gobain everywhere beside the windshield

From some internet research, Saint Gobain has had a Mexican factory for 20 years. Fuyao does not, but have recently opened a plant in Ohio.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Windshield is the most expensive piece of glass in the car. Vw probably saved a lot by going with a cheaper lower quality windshield. Quite a few of these reportedly stress crack as well.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
sand ~ rocks ~ chips

My $.02

Either drive in front (faster) than the hoard

Or leave a lot of space in front of your car.

After a car (or truck) in front of you lifts sand, rocks, etc, give it enough time to settle

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Customer service says the regional rep will call me tomorrow after 5pm. I told them I don't want any more Vitro windshields with lots of other good choices. My glass installer confirmed that Vitro was a bad choice. Will post regional reps response tomorrow.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I assume the culprit here is the transparent metal heat-rejection layer. I wonder if there is such a thing as a Mk.7 non-insulated (i.e., no sputtered metal layer) version, maybe for cold climates. Hopefully not necessary if other OEMs don't have that graininess in the metal layer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
St Gobain's in our Alltrack, with light/rain sensor.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Someone from regional, or so they said called me Friday to tell me that after they got the pictures and the service dept description of the problem, I'd have to wait till the end of January for the district service rep to look at it. I told him that he could look all he wants at the 'shield once it replaced with a decent piece of glass, but for me to have to drive west as I do every day late afternoon is totally unacceptable when the problem can be fixed in a couple hours at the most. Think I'll call cs tomorrow morning and rip someone there a new tailpipe.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some yanker from regional called me telling me the district had looked at my 'shield and saw no problem. He looked at it without heading into direct sun. For anyone interested, lots of choices available for good glass. I'm putting in a securit grey tint with grey shaded band at top. Blue or green tint is availabe but a black car looks best with grey. total cost installed $325 but if your car has sunroof its an extra 100 although its the same windshield. Rain sensor shield is almost same price. If vw had agreed to replace glass I'd probably get same garbage Mexican Vitro without shaded band that I really like. Hope tis helps those like Leicaman who wanted me to post this.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW sent their glass inspector to the dealership to inspect the 'shield. The moron from customer service called me to tell me the claim was denied because the glass inspector had"removed" the clouded areas. Looks like he tried using some sort of abrasive on the outside of the glass, scratching it to the point of being completely unusable. Center area of 'shield 6' x 12' is now totally scratched as if someone used a scotchbrite pad on it. Where does vw find these people to hire? Maybe if they raised what they pay, say to 8-9 /hr they. can find better people....or maybe to what mickey dee pays. If it wasn' so sad, it'd be funny, I'd just imagine that I'm in another remake of Dumb and Dumber.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ordered new 'shield this morning with grey shading and grey tint. will post numbers as soon as its installed

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No top shade windshields apparently exist for golf.It is st gobain-securit grey tint. It is wonderful...all the bad stuff, hazy lam layer, distortion right side, grainess, gone forever. vitro shield is presently in trunk/back seat nd will probably will be in a courtroom before it goes to the dumpster. What a pleasure to have quality glass without the scummy oem glass. no vw logo, like I would really care, since I beginning to detest the customer service dept almost as much as other vw owners. Wanna know how much I bet...300 installed

TDI
none, Passat V soon
No top shade windshields apparently exist for golf.It is st gobain-securit grey tint. It is wonderful...all the bad stuff, hazy lam layer, distortion right side, grainess, gone forever. vitro shield is presently in trunk/back seat nd will probably will be in a courtroom before it goes to the dumpster. What a pleasure to have quality glass without the scummy oem glass. no vw logo, like I would really care, since I beginning to detest the customer service dept almost as much as other vw owners. Wanna know how much I bet...300 installed

Glad you got a good glass windshield installed, in spite of VW customer service.

If you DO take them to court, make them pay. It's a safety issue.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is indeed a safety issue. With sun setting close to horizon, its blinding without my maui jim's polarized sunglasses. opps, was, cause its been replaced with st gobain-ecurit.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good price. Did it come from St Gobain’s Mexico plant? No laminate layer (which seemed to be your issue) or just a better one?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some yanker from regional called me telling me the district had looked at my 'shield and saw no problem. He looked at it without heading into direct sun. For anyone interested, lots of choices available for good glass. I'm putting in a securit grey tint with grey shaded band at top. Blue or green tint is availabe but a black car looks best with grey. total cost installed $325 but if your car has sunroof its an extra 100 although its the same windshield. Rain sensor shield is almost same price. If vw had agreed to replace glass I'd probably get same garbage Mexican Vitro without shaded band that I really like. Hope tis helps those like Leicaman who wanted me to post this.
Thanks for your efforts in this. Crap like this makes me an unhappy camper!