www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old October 13th, 2016, 15:51   #16
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

Computer Battery on both
dieselherb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 21:22   #17
tadawson
Veteran Member

Thanks . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 20:04   #18
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

anyway I can bypass something so I can set timing and IQ?
Old October 14th, 2016, 21:50   #19
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Looking at the logs could fix your issues permanently... what's the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
Please post the debug logs you're getting with your *current* version of VCDS... the version that's giving you all the communication errors.
Otherwise everyone's just batting at smoke.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:59   #20
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

Not sure how to load the logs on here. Which ones would be helpful?
Old October 16th, 2016, 21:58   #21
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Jef can suggest any specific logs he had in mind, I was thinking start with the line-by-line readout you get doing an autoscan.

Cut-n-paste to here will work fine, and probably best to <S>ave the scan to a file on your computer and then cut from that file... if you just try to grab it off the screen as it scrolls by something might get missed.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Old October 16th, 2016, 22:42   #22
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
Jef can suggest any specific logs he had in mind, I was thinking start with the line-by-line readout you get doing an autoscan.

Cut-n-paste to here will work fine, and probably best to <S>ave the scan to a file on your computer and then cut from that file... if you just try to grab it off the screen as it scrolls by something might get missed.
An autoscan might help but I am not sure. It couldn't hurt to post it.

However, I doubt that much more help will be coming from Jef. The latest versions of VCDS require a firmware update for the interface cable itself. If the OP's interface won't accept the connection from the latest version, it is probably not a genuine Ross-Tech interface cable (or else he has Windows USB issues or a faulty cable). If I am correct and it is not a genuine R-T interface cable, I would not expect much help from R-T support people. If the problem is with a Chineseum interface cable, support will have to come from the thieves who sold him the cable (and cracked software version 11.11.5) in the first place.

Have Fun!

Don
Old October 17th, 2016, 07:07   #23
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Ah, but posting the auto scan will clear up the providence of the interface once and for all. And, if it's an off-shore clone that in itself is likely a strong possibility as to the comm issues and potentially diminished returns to troubleshoot deeper.

Old October 17th, 2016, 07:16   #24
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

I don't think the problem is with VCDS, since it works fine with 10 others cars. What I need most is to be able to set timing and IQ.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:33   #25
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Well, you need a functioning interface to talk to the ECU to read the timing and set the IQ., and not to put too fine a point to it... but I think it boils down to:

- if it's a genuine interface...that's one possibility eliminated (ie it's not flaky offshore hardware with cracked firmware/software, that's struggling a bit in an engine swap situation) and a bunch of folks here will likely be happy to help further

- if it's a cloned interface with pirated software...that could be the problem in and off itself, and as this forum does not condone piracy any further discussions to further troubleshoot are best taken up with the seller of the hardware/software, as posted above.

Not saying one or the other is the case... just pointing out that the road forks at this point.

Old October 18th, 2016, 08:24   #26
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

I have a friend that has a commercial VCDS. Maybe he will let me borrow it over the weekend
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:53   #27
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

Let start with this, on the interface, the part you plug up to the car is a sticker. What is the information on that sticker? A photo would be fine.

It would be correct to assume that we (Ross-Tech) are not inclined to invest any effort for some one who is using a clone product.

With some of your statements provided, I have my doubts you are using a legitimate Ross-Tech interface. But before any one passes final judgement, I think it is fair to ask for some proof to show you have the real deal.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!

Last edited by jef@rosstech; October 18th, 2016 at 11:17.
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:53   #28
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

I bought the cable and program from someone either here or Vwvotex
Not knowing or care what its origin as long as it worked. Been using it for 5 years.
Like I said I'll try my friends original business quality
Old October 18th, 2016, 14:49   #29
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselherb1 View Post
I bought the cable and program from someone either here or Vwvotex
Not knowing or care what its origin as long as it worked. Been using it for 5 years.
Like I said I'll try my friends original business quality
Yes, but Jef is saying if it's an authentic cable, he'll provide some support
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:51   #30
dieselherb1
Veteran Member

OK tried the official Ross-Tech cable with the current program. Same too many communication errors.