www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old March 7th, 2015, 20:59   #31
TNriverjet
Veteran Member

Got mine, and it works. I recommend following the update procedure in post #13. The update took a while for me as I was fighting with my Norton software blocking the process. Once I disabled, I was able to get the update to "take"

I'm still trying to figure out to retrieve the SKC codes from the NB cluster...
1996 Stewart & Stevenson M-1078 (sold)

Last edited by TNriverjet; March 7th, 2015 at 20:59. Reason: Clarify which car for SKC
TNriverjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:18   #32
nacnac238

I bought the VAG-401 around 2 years ago to prime the fuel system after changing the fuel filter. When I originally tried this using basic setting option 35 for the fuel pump it only engages the fuel pumps for approximately 1-2 seconds.

Do you have an upgrade in the software where they may have change this to be the 30 seconds for the fuel system?

Let me know. Thanks
nacnac238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 14:46   #33
sprinks
Veteran Member

just picked one up via ebay and the make an offer option. thanks for the tip on that everyone. Definitely got it for lowest price i've seen thus far in here. Will come in handy seeing as i have the 80k service quickly approaching and need to do fuel filter and dsg service.
Old July 8th, 2015, 14:07   #34
Spiked1Z
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 city, 47 Highway

I received the xtool vag401 a week or so ago that I ordered from amazon for $60 - it was pretty difficult to understand how to update the software, and I'm not even sure what it did... the website is a chinese special http://www.xtooltech.com/ and takes some clicking around to find the update download.

So far I have used it to check the DSG temp, run clutch adaptations, check Torsion value, scan for faults, comfort module adaptation (just turns on and off all the do-hickys) - I did try the data logging feature, and it produced a nice size chunk of a file, but nothing I found could read the file... I tried different unicodes and all, another chinese value point... :/

My instrument cluster has a fault, and did before when was scanned by a VCDS, and it showed the same fault.

I tried to program a new remote (same key & transmitter) and I haven't had luck.. I tried using the central comfort module (as its called in this tool) and found the key 1 adaption setting but it didn't seem to work (it connected just didn't seem to do anything after pressing buttons on the remote).. Also there is a remote program option under "Special Functions" that didn't work for me either (also connected, just nothing happened) ...

Thinking this might be due to my cluster having a fault (it displays error for the first minute or so after startup, then works fine, tracks miles and speed just fine) However before my remote battery ran out I was able to use the remote lock/unlock doors and open the truck. Going to have another go following the Ross-Tech instructions more closely..

next thing I plan to try is disable DRL, locking Beep, undoing one touch windows (i hate those things)

Last edited by Spiked1Z; July 8th, 2015 at 14:30.
Spiked1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:27   #35
cqk56

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI
Default Xtool

I bought one of these Xtool Vag401 for fuel filter changes and to read codes, I tried to run the fuel pump following the procedure on the youtube video, all that happens is the glow plug light goes on then off, also the screen looks different from the video. Does anyone know if the fuel pump code is different on this tool?

Also tried to get an update online at the xtool website but I have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting this thing updated. Any advice from someone who has one of these, I really don't want to spend 300 or 400 dollars for a ross-tech to just do filter changes. Thanks
Old February 5th, 2016, 15:36   #36
Dorkage
Veteran Member

Another positive XTool VAG401 review here.

This works better than my sketchy version of VCDS Lite and as a bonus it seems to read the pins for the cluster. Took awhile to find the Haldex for my R32, but I eventually did. It has all the labels for both of my MK4s.
Dorkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 14:10   #37
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqk56 View Post
I bought one of these Xtool Vag401 for fuel filter changes and to read codes, I tried to run the fuel pump following the procedure on the youtube video, all that happens is the glow plug light goes on then off,
Now that I have a MkVI, I can confirm this. With version 8.41 of the software, at least, when I go to Engine/basic settings/035, the pump comes on for a second or so, and then back off. Of course, that's with the filter canister full (I haven't opened it to change the filter yet), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I should have my upgraded VCDS cable in a few days to compare.
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 15:07   #38
FERDROCK

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Have any of the experts chimed in on this tool? Thinking about buying it, but no one seems to have done a comprehensive product review. From what I know the entry level software from Ross-Tech is $99.00, plus i would still need to spend a few bucks on the cable. Am I missing something - like maybe the VCDS software is available for free? Thanks and responses are appreciated.

Last edited by FERDROCK; March 8th, 2016 at 15:11.
FERDROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:22   #39
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERDROCK View Post
Have any of the experts chimed in on this tool? Thinking about buying it, but no one seems to have done a comprehensive product review. From what I know the entry level software from Ross-Tech is $99.00, plus i would still need to spend a few bucks on the cable. Am I missing something - like maybe the VCDS software is available for free? Thanks and responses are appreciated.
Yeah, I can answer the last part. Useful VCDS software is not available free. R-T is very up front about it on their site. They state they can't compete with the Chinese manufacturers at the low end, so they don't. What pretty much anyone is going to want costs $350 for the cabled version that goes to a PC, and the "HEX" version for $450 that is a wi-fi module that plugs into the port and will work with anything that supports a web browser. You can get the complete rundown of the available products on the Ross-Tech web site. There are some cheaper products, but they're not very useful

But I am pretty much interested in what this XTool will support -that someone has used it to support- in the following functions:

1. Reset service reminders on MFD.

2. Turn on fuel pump.

3. Register temperature of DSG

4. Show ash accumulation in DPF.

5. Show DEF (AdBlue) level. (only in 2012-2014 Passat and 2015 TDIs)

6. Allow activation / deactivation of features like rain-sensing wipers (if car is so equipped), auto-close windows & sunroof, DRLs, Remote Start, etc.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage

Last edited by Rico567; March 9th, 2016 at 12:38.
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:06   #40
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
2. Turn on fuel pump.
Doesn't work for me. It turns it on for a second or so, then it turns back off. Works properly with VCDS. I've heard others say it works for them though.
Quote:
3. Register temperature of DSG
4. Show ash accumulation in DPF.
5. Show DEF (AdBlue) level. (only in 2012-2014 Passat and 2015 TDIs)
All of these should be measuring blocks and shouldn't be a problem. If you can give the blocks to check, I can test 3 and 4 on my car. A little bit of Googling tells me that the DSG temps are in measuring block 019 of the trans, and the DPF status is in block 108 of the engine; my unit read both of these without problems.
Quote:
6. Allow activation / deactivation of features like rain-sensing wipers (if car is so equipped), auto-close windows & sunroof, DRLs, Remote Start, etc.
These are set via long coding. The VAG401 can do long coding, but I wouldn't want to. If you have instructions, for example, to turn on bit 5 of byte 9, you'd need to count over to byte 9, convert it to binary, change bit 5 to 1, convert that back to hex, and then make the change.
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:35   #41
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
Doesn't work for me. It turns it on for a second or so, then it turns back off. Works properly with VCDS. I've heard others say it works for them though.
All of these should be measuring blocks and shouldn't be a problem. If you can give the blocks to check, I can test 3 and 4 on my car. A little bit of Googling tells me that the DSG temps are in measuring block 019 of the trans, and the DPF status is in block 108 of the engine; my unit read both of these without problems.
These are set via long coding. The VAG401 can do long coding, but I wouldn't want to. If you have instructions, for example, to turn on bit 5 of byte 9, you'd need to count over to byte 9, convert it to binary, change bit 5 to 1, convert that back to hex, and then make the change.
Thanks a bunch; this helps. Yeah, for the long coding part I was just hoping it would be something easier. I've read a little bit about how it's done with VCDS, dicey enough with that, I'm not about to try it if I get an XTool.

- Adam Savage
Old March 10th, 2016, 14:09   #42
Rico567
Veteran Member

Although I can't find anything definitive, there's some anecdotal evidence in online reviews that XTool works to do things like read the temperature of DSG oil in older models, but can't do it in newer cars, like our '13 Passat. More information needed.

- Adam Savage
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:35   #43
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
Although I can't find anything definitive, there's some anecdotal evidence in online reviews that XTool works to do things like read the temperature of DSG oil in older models, but can't do it in newer cars, like our '13 Passat. More information needed.
It reads the DSG temp just fine in my '13 JSW. I'm glad to check other things if you like.
Old March 11th, 2016, 10:23   #44
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
It reads the DSG temp just fine in my '13 JSW. I'm glad to check other things if you like.
Glad to hear about the DSG temp. At the price, I think I'll pull the trigger if it'll turn the big service reminders off (I just DIY'd my 40K, and am expecting one any day....). Will it turn service reminders off in your '13?

- Adam Savage
Old March 11th, 2016, 10:41   #45
79jasper
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta

I know it's a different "tool," but I heard with most readers such as torque or the like, actually read Dsg temp as engine temp.
Any comments on that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

79jasper is offline   Reply With Quote