alarm will not disarm

l2wboard

TDI
98 beetle tdi
I have a 1998 TDI Beetle, I went out to my car and the alarm would not disarm from the driver door, passenger door, and trunk, The passenger and trunk lock would not function.

I had the car towed to dealer and they said censers in the two doors would have to be replaced at 300.00 per and the door bow would have to be replaced also on the driver side. They named off a few other things and the total was over 1,500.00. (I know about the service guy gets paid more on what he can have you sign up for after he gets the car) I feel the car is only worth that. I called them to have the car towed back home and they said the car started up. I cleaned out the car and been driving it just not locking the door.

One question can I disable the alarm? I work in some pretty bad areas it would be nice to be able to lock the car doors.

Two can I go to the junk yard and replace the three locks and ignition.

what I have tried, disconnecting the battery and holding the poss and neg together for over a minute.

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need both door latches. There are microswitches in them that stick and go bad. You may be able to fix them yourself, I guess. Some people have.

That car must be in pretty sorry shape if you only think it is worth $1500. :(

l2wboard

TDI
98 beetle tdi
Will any micro switch work? The dealer said they had to order the parts and it would take a week.

I bought the car in 2005 for 3,500 it has some body scratches a few from me but most from other people hitting my car in parking lots. There are a few more things wrong than the door switches. That would total more than 3,500.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Especially the middle one. Go to post #74 (page 5) and check the first link to a vwvortex thread.

And in regard to switches, if it ever rains where you live (true, unless you live in the desert in Chile) then you will want to avoid the Radio Shack switch in favor of a better sealed switch. You will go through some time and labor to replace the switch so you may as well use a good switch.

But if you read the vortex thread, you may see that the problem is very likely to be pin solder joints that have broken rather than the switch. Of course, by now it could be both!

Good luck,

PH

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
It is not door micro switch that is bad in your latch,.
It is micro switch for locking and unlocking .Those switches are inside on electrical part. CCM do not see car is unlocked and setting alarm.
Other way to fix this is to get remote programed , unlock with remote will disarm alarm.