www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old September 16th, 2013, 17:19   #16
jedorme

Default Which Cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos_V View Post
Thanks, I'll continue answering any other VCDS related "sales" questions in this thread as needed. Just Ask!
Santos (or anyone else with the answer) - I'm looking to get VAG-COM for use with my new (2013) Touareg V6 TDI, but have a question about the correct cable. If I only want to scan this car, can I use the Micro-CAN interface cable or do I need the Hex-CAN cable? I've been told I can save $100 by getting the micro one but the Ross-Tech site seems to say I need the Hex one. Thx.

Jed
Old September 17th, 2013, 13:08   #17
Santos_V
Ross-Tech AssociateVendor

Hi Jed,

HEX+CAN is the only compatible interface.

Micro-CAN does not support the T'reg since its not based on the golf V/VI chassis. Here is a listing of Micro-CAN compatible vehicles
Old September 17th, 2013, 15:48   #18
jedorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos_V View Post
Hi Jed,

HEX+CAN is the only compatible interface.

Micro-CAN does not support the T'reg since its not based on the golf V/VI chassis. Here is a listing of Micro-CAN compatible vehicles
Santos: Thanks for this info. Soon as I can afford it, I will get one for my TDI. Cheers,

Jed
Old October 8th, 2013, 14:09   #19
annieneff
Veteran Member

Why wouldn't I want to just buy a cheapo whatever--ebay for instance-- dongle, and then a Ross Tech "license" for the software? Is there anything particularly unique about your dongle (...kind of a personal question, I know. But I have to ask)? It looks like your dongle would be beneficial for newer cars, but for my b4's it wouldn't matter much.
I don't mean to be insulting at all with this question. Just curious.
annieneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 14:54   #20
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieneff View Post
Why wouldn't I want to just buy a cheapo whatever--ebay for instance-- dongle, and then a Ross Tech "license" for the software? Is there anything particularly unique about your dongle (...kind of a personal question, I know. But I have to ask)? It looks like your dongle would be beneficial for newer cars, but for my b4's it wouldn't matter much.
I don't mean to be insulting at all with this question. Just curious.
There are actually two different versions of VCDS available. There is the full VCDS and there is the shareware version called VCDS-Lite. With older VWs, (K-Line comms) you can often get by with a cheap generic cable and VCDS-Lite. These cheap generic cables do not include any "dongle" so they will only work with the "Lite" (shareware) version of VCDS

VCDS is a full featured program but it requires a genuine Ross-Tech interface cable (generic ODBII cables will not work with or without registration). It is the genuine Ross-Tech interface cables that contain a "dongle" to unlock the full capability of the program (the registration is in the interface cable). The only thing that "registration" of a used cable gets you is direct tech support. The program will work perfectly with any genuine Ross-Tech smart interface cable whether you register it or not.

VCDS-Lite is a shareware version of VCDS and will work with any good ODBII to USB cable. However, it does not support all of the functions of VCDS (full) plus it does not support CAN bus cars.

Here is a full list of what VCDS-Lite will and will not do: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/index.html

Have Fun!

Don
Old January 9th, 2014, 13:35   #21
GearHd6

I'm pretty new to all this Ross Tech stuff but the more I deal with my VW's the more I think I want/need one. I've got an 02 and an 05 Passat V6 and now a 2014 Jetta TDI. It seems like I need this VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN (all VAG 1995 to current model year) for all my cars. Am I right in thinking this? Is this really my only option?

Thanks.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 14:09   #22
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
I'm pretty new to all this Ross Tech stuff but the more I deal with my VW's the more I think I want/need one. I've got an 02 and an 05 Passat V6 and now a 2014 Jetta TDI. It seems like I need this VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN (all VAG 1995 to current model year) for all my cars. Am I right in thinking this? Is this really my only option?

Thanks.
Yes, in order to be able to talk to all of your VWs (2002 - 2014) you will need an interface able to do both HEX (K-Line) and CAN communications. Therefore a HEX+CAN ($349) is your only option for use with a Windows PC. Ross-Tech is now very close to releasing their new HEX-NET wireless device. This will cost a little more that the HEX+CAN interface cable, but it does not require a Windows computer. It will work with any device with wi-fi and a web browser (Android phone or tablet, iPad, iPhone, etc.). This device is supposed to be released this month for somewhere near $400.

Have Fun!

Don
Old January 12th, 2014, 08:32   #23
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
<snip> Ross-Tech is now very close to releasing their new HEX-NET wireless device. <snip> This device is supposed to be released this month for somewhere near $400.

Have Fun!

Don
We can only hope. I had just backconverted a Dell Mini 9 that I had Hackintoshed to run Win 7, and it has the VCDS software installed. I was all ready to buy the cable when R-T finally announced the release for this month. If this misses fire again, I'll probably just buy the cable and use the netbook....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:16   #24
Rico567
Veteran Member

First time I've seen an actual specific date for the release of the new Wi-fi version of VCDS. Straight from the Ross-Tech FAQs:

"Launch Date: Monday, February 10th!"

At last......

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 14:49   #25
NitroBike

TDI(s): Jetta2001
Default Ross Tech Micro-CAN

I sold my 2010 TDI and have a virtually new one I will sell for $160 delivered. You can contact me at philschmidtTF1@gmail.com

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html

Phil
NitroBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 17:09   #26
redneck47441

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta

So I have a 2014 Jetta and want to get the vcds all I do is buy the hex-can cable and download a program then it just plug it up to laptop via cable?
redneck47441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 17:57   #27
tadawson
Veteran Member

Pretty much sums it up, yes . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 19:21   #28
redneck47441

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta

Thank you sounds easy enough.
redneck47441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 23:24   #29
tadawson
Veteran Member

www.ross-tech.com, the only source for a real Hex-Can cable . . . The FAQs and info there will tell you everything you need, and you can download the software as well.

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 21:39   #30
SKIN

TDI(s): Golf MK6

Which one of these will do the de-pressurize command on the fuel system?
SKIN is offline   Reply With Quote