Upgrade for climate control and radio controls for Golf Wagon

hotzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Okay,

First, it’s good to be back! I had many great years on the site with my dearly departed 2002 Golf TDI which I lost in a flood but I am back now!

I just picked up a 2015 Golf Wagon with the S package. I wanted to know is it possible to upgrade the climate control system to the auto zone climate control system and Navigation/ touch screen radio by finding a donor vehicle and replacing just the control units or do these jobs require a little more getting “into the weeds” to make it all work? Thanks for any replies and glad to be back in the diesel world!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Okay,
First, it’s good to be back! I had many great years on the site with my dearly departed 2002 Golf TDI which I lost in a flood but I am back now!
I just picked up a 2015 Golf Wagon with the S package. I wanted to know is it possible to upgrade the climate control system to the auto zone climate control system and Navigation/ touch screen radio by finding a donor vehicle and replacing just the control units or do these jobs require a little more getting “into the weeds” to make it all work? Thanks for any replies and glad to be back in the diesel world!
....good question. I have the 2015 Golf (S) Wish I had the *auto* temperature mode like my wife's '15 RAV4 LIMITED. On hers it comes with both side controls. -- sweet :D
... welcome back to TDi. Question, did you get a used unit or a new unit?

hotzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Thanks for the welcome back. I have not gotten anything yet. I wanted to come to the experts before I start trying to figure out what parts I need before I go shopping. This is the best forum for TDI info hands down!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would imagine there is way more to it than just replacing the head units. Last time someone asked this on an earlier model there were many, many parts needed to do this and much work tearing the dash apart to get it done.

hotzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Hey gang, how do you know which model head units for the radio have the Apple Car Play. I wanted to know if I can find a donor radio head unit that has the Apple Car Play. Any part numbers would be appreciated

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hey gang, how do you know which model head units for the radio have the Apple Car Play. I wanted to know if I can find a donor radio head unit that has the Apple Car Play. Any part numbers would be appreciated
You need the MIB2 unit from 2017 models or later (maybe 2016 has it also, not sure). It is a different size an it may be more than just the head unit. I suspect this is more complex than you may expect. The old days of being able to swap the radios between cars with a trim plate and a few wire nuts is long gone.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
You need the MIB2 unit from 2017 models or later (maybe 2016 has it also, not sure). It is a different size an it may be more than just the head unit. I suspect this is more complex than you may expect. The old days of being able to swap the radios between cars with a trim plate and a few wire nuts is long gone.
Correct. Its not easy. Also involves dealer coding, etc.

There are a couple of threads on vwvortex about it.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I'm halfway through it. Did all the hardware changes which was not bad at all. Just waiting to get component protection removed.

Correct. Its not easy. Also involves dealer coding, etc.
There are a couple of threads on vwvortex about it.