what are you paying for 60,000 mile service

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
2010 GOLF TDI 6MT
the only thing i looked at and thought about doing myself besides Rotating Tires was the AIR FILTER Change, how easy is that?
thanks
I replaced my entire box with an APR CAI. the swap takes a total 40min tops, with the longest part in removing the stock box.

Last edited:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I replace my entire box with an APR CAI. the swap takes a total 40min tops, with the longest part in removing the stock box.
If the question was "what should I buy that is a complete waste of money?" That would be the perfect answer.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
If the question was "what should I buy that is a complete waste of money?" That would be the perfect answer.
Have you tried one? Listen, I have read all about what most ppl on here think about Oil Air Filter's and RAM Air Intakes for TDI's, and IMO APR's CAI works as advertised. If you have used the product on your vehicle and you're not satisfied, then take your beef up with Arin@APR, instead of being a lowsy troll...

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
With all do respect, I am not the one that answered someone with something else completely meaningless to his question. How I am the troll....I don't know.

Listen, if you feel like it made a difference and you are happy with it....good for you. It's your money. I will listen to the numerous gurus and work on these cars all day every day as well as the multiple people on here who have tried them and admit that it doesn't do anything other than make a bit more noise rather than listening to APR (Can't see them saying anything different), who is in the business of making money, and now you.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
With all do respect, I am not the one that answered someone with something else completely meaningless to his question(1). How I am the troll....I don't know(2).

Listen, if you feel like it made a difference and you are happy with it....good for you. It's your money. I will listen to the numerous gurus and work on these cars all day every day as well as the multiple people on here who have tried them and admit that it doesn't do anything other than make a bit more noise rather than listening to APR (Can't see them saying anything different)(3), who is in the business of making money, and now you.
(1) I was replying to RomanL over how easy it is to swap an air filter, I responded that you can do the whole box in 40min, using my CAI as an example.

(2) Troll

(3)What APR say's about their CAI.

(4) Can we go back to topic now??? Troll???

Last edited:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
(1) I was replying to RomanL over how easy it is to swap an air filter, I responded that you can do the whole box in 40min, using my CAI as an example.

(2) Troll

(3)What APR say's about their CAI.

(4) Can we go back to topic now??? Troll???
(1) Exactly. Please, tell me how that helped RomanL no how long it will take to change the filter element on a VW CAI?

(2) My post didn't cause disruption with anyone but you. If someone posts about a CAI, you had bet that most will make sure that he doesn't waste his money. I don't know if RomanL has read up on CAIs or not, but what if he would have read your answer and thought "hmmm, if it's that easy, I will just pick one of those up". At least my reply would most likely make him do some research and see that they are a waste of money unless he wants a tad bit more sound or is in to all things ricer.

(3) Don't know why you show that, but okay. I am guessing you believe since APR says it is true, it must be. You are a vendor's dream. Like I said earlier, APR is in the business of making money. Not sure how much money they would make if it said what everyone already knows.

(4) Not as long as you reply by calling me a troll when that's not the case.

JPG

TDI
"10 TDI Sedan United Grey
RomanL, if you are in long beach, why don't you visit Raven Motorsports? I will be visiting them very soon for my 80 k mark after I do all the service myself and to just get it checked over in more detail. I got a friend with a mkV Jetta wagon and often brags about the service and friendly mechanics. Its worth a shot if you live near a trustworthy TDI mechanic. :)

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
^^ thanks guys.
JPG i am in long beach,
but i also work up in West LA, so my Santa Monica VW is convenient to take it to before work.
but maybe ill check them out for my next service, we'll see

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
(1) Exactly. Please, tell me how that helped RomanL no how long it will take to change the filter element on a VW CAI?

(2) My post didn't cause disruption with anyone but you. If someone posts about a CAI, you had bet that most will make sure that he doesn't waste his money. I don't know if RomanL has read up on CAIs or not, but what if he would have read your answer and thought "hmmm, if it's that easy, I will just pick one of those up". At least my reply would most likely make him do some research and see that they are a waste of money unless he wants a tad bit more sound or is in to all things ricer.

(3) Don't know why you show that, but okay. I am guessing you believe since APR says it is true, it must be. You are a vendor's dream. Like I said earlier, APR is in the business of making money. Not sure how much money they would make if it said what everyone already knows.

(4) Not as long as you reply by calling me a troll when that's not the case.
(1) If it takes 40min to swap the whole box, then doing a filter swap takes under 40 min. Now RomanL knows it takes less then 40min and has a point of reference.

(2) You are turning this into a debate about APR's CAI, it's not... There are other threads on this form that cover that topic. So plz go back under the bridge Troll...

(3) I will refer back to my second comment on this thread, and will not repeat myself on this subject.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
i wasnt asking what DO THEY DO?
i read my manual
i was asking WHAT DO PEOPLE PAY for 60K service.
this was simply to compare what other dealers are charging.

i will be using the dealer (same one i've always used as he's always offering cheapest rate) this was simply to compare what others are PAYING

I am sorry I answered you, since you know it all.

You wrote: "what are you guys paying for standard dealer service for 60,000 miles?"

They do the 60K service genius.... Ha-ha. Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. Please write "mo-better" in the future. Your sentence structure is facacta.

If you meant is it worth it or a fair price.... that would have been clear. Also is it too much to ask to capitalize? Really how hard is it to hold that button down. Are you always this rude to people trying to help you? Really.

Last edited:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
I am sorry I answered you, since you know it all. :p
You wrote: "what are you guys paying for standard dealer service for 60,000 miles?"
They do the 60K service genius.... Ha-ha. Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. Please write "mo-better" in the future. Your sentince structure is facacta. :D
If you meant is it worth it or a fair price.... that would have been clear. Also is it too much to ask to capitalize? Really how hard is it to hold that button down. Are you always this rude to people trying to help you? Really. ;)
i honestly have no idea what you're going on about here?
you agreed that your answer was completely different from what i asked? im not sure how much more clear i could have been? thanks for your answers i guess?? :confused::confused:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
anyways, i just got back from the dealer and have my total just in case anyone is interested:
work done:
1. Oil & Oil Filter change (every 10K)
2. Fuel Filter change (every 20K)
3. Engine Air Filter (every 60K)

i declined:
1. wash
2. tire rotation *(switching out tires next week myself)

Total $250
but they had a holiday 15%off if you bring in a toy (except on oil change)
so it saved me another $25

total paid $225

Last edited:

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
anyways, i just got back from the dealer and have my total just in case anyone is interested:
work done:
1. Oil & Oil Filter change (every 10K)
2. Fuel Filter change (every 20K)
3. Engine Air Filter (every 60K)

i declined:
1. wash
2. tire rotation *(switching out tires next week myself)

Total $250
but they had a holiday 15%off if you bring in a toy (except on oil change)
so it saved me another $25

total paid $225

I got some timebefore 60k , but I'll be declining the air filter swap. I'll be out of warranty but if I can save a buck to replace the filter myself then it's worth the 30 min to do the work myself. Also I agree with you on the Wash and rotation. The last time I let VW wash my car it took a week the get the smell of the dirtbag German mechcanic out of the vehicle...

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
I got some timebefore 60k , but I'll be declining the air filter swap. I'll be out of warranty but if I can save a buck to replace the filter myself then it's worth the 30 min to do the work myself. Also I agree with you on the Wash and rotation. The last time I let VW wash my car it took a week the get the smell of the dirtbag German mechcanic out of the vehicle...
yea i looked it up after i was back from the dealer, seems that AIR ENGINE Filter is a very easy 6 screws job, so at 120K ill probably do it myself.
but i was satisfied to be out the door with $225 total.
also on the receipt i think they marked $25 for the filter cost, so im sure its even cheaper if you buy online. so you can save decent amount by doing that yourself if you have the time

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
yea i looked it up after i was back from the dealer, seems that AIR ENGINE Filter is a very easy 6 screws job, so at 120K ill probably do it myself.
but i was satisfied to be out the door with $225 total.
also on the receipt i think they marked $25 for the filter cost, so im sure its even cheaper if you buy online. so you can save decent amount by doing that yourself if you have the time
Money vs. Time, that's what it always seems to come down to. That said I'm sure you can get better service and value if you bring it to a trusted guru vs. a stealer.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I could be totally wrong and misinformed, but I can't get my head around this "guru" talk. These cars are so much different than the previous generation diesel cars, I simply don't believe there are real gurus out there for this new TDI. In fact, I think I'd be afraid about something as simple as using the correct oil. What about the piezo electric injectors that fire 5 times per cycle of the engine? Do the gurus know all about this new engine? I doubt it, at least from what I've seen of that kind of old-school mechanic. I'm not saying the dealer is so great, but I honestly think it is likely safer than an old shop that worked on the old diesels.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
You could have saved a whole page of arguing as well as a little bit of money by reading post 11:

Very easy. Remove the various captive phillips head screws surrounding the air filter housing. Lift up the top of housing, remove the old air filter, install new air filter making sure the seal is flush with the housing all around, retighten the captive phillips head screws. That's it.
Too late now though. ;)

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
You could have saved a whole page of arguing as well as a little bit of money by reading post 11:

Too late now though. ;)

You're absolutely right... I vote that the moderator delete the entire argument between me and "WutGas?" as it is meaningless to this thread.

rmchung

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDi
Paying $225ish is not bad at all. When you price out the parts (oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter) that stuff comes out to $140ish.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Paying $225ish is not bad at all. When you price out the parts (oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter) that stuff comes out to $140ish.
bought those 4 filters online from a quality aftermarket supplier...82.50 TAX included....shop around....the oil is extra

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
i agree
it was convenient for me, and i thought price was good. i was ok wiht paying it, since i was not looking to do it myself.

rmchung

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDi
bought those 4 filters online from a quality aftermarket supplier...82.50 TAX included....shop around....the oil is extra
Umm..yeah, so add in oil at anywhere from 8-$10 a liter and you have close to $140. My point is that if people are expecting to pay like $200 for the job, they may not realize how much just these few parts cost in total.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Umm..yeah, so add in oil at anywhere from 8-$10 a liter and you have close to $140. My point is that if people are expecting to pay like $200 for the job, they may not realize how much just these few parts cost in total.
fair enough

g3rald

TDI
MK7 GOLF TDI
I was quoted $1100 Canadian plus tax for the 60K service today. Norden VW in Edmonton, Alberta said they would do all these checks, change the engine oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, fuel filter, cabin air filter and engine air filter. FML. Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet but I wanted to share. When I asked how much it would cost without the checks, they said 900...

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
That seems a little expensive to me even with the transmission fluid change included (which makes it a 40k or 80k miles service). I think I paid around US$ 700 for my 40k miles service, including the DSG fluid and filter change, which is less than CDN$ 1000, I believe. For comparison, for the 80k miles DSG service I paid about US$ 150 at an independent Bosch place, and did the rest of the service myself.
But all this does not belong in this thread, which is for the service without DSG fluid change.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I was quoted $1100 Canadian plus tax for the 60K service today. Norden VW in Edmonton, Alberta said they would do all these checks, change the engine oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, fuel filter, cabin air filter and engine air filter. FML. Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet but I wanted to share. When I asked how much it would cost without the checks, they said 900...

Call 3 different dealers, get 3 different prices. $1100 is way out of line for the 60k service.

https://owners.vwmodels.ca/maintenance/timeline/

60,000 km
Volkswagen Original Replacement Parts

Addition of Uree Ad blue
Oil filter replacement
Castrol Edge Professional Oil change 5w30 Syntec VW507.00 Required
Pollen filter replacement
Oil pan plug change
Fuel filter replacement
2 Years unlimited Kilometer Parts & Labour Warranty
Multipoint inspection performed by an authorized Volkswagen technician

Battery Check
Windshield Washer Fluid
Brake Fluid Level and Condition
Coolant Resevoir Fluid Level
Hoses for Heating, AC and Coolant
Engine Air Filter
Air Conditioning and Pollen Filter
Engine Drive Belts
Shocks / Struts and Suspension
Steering and Steering Linkages
Exhaust System (leaks, damage, loose parts)
Transmission/Clutch Operation, Linkages
Windshield Condition
Wiper Wear and Spray Nozzles
Electrical Inspection (horn, signals, lights)
Tire Wear Inspection
Tire Rotation
Brake Pad Wear
Body: Visual Check
Vehicle Road Test