MKIII Front Wheel Bearing Labor Cost

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
Well, I am happy to say that my little '98 Jetta project has really come together - will have to share some pics once the weather permits a good wash.

The last major thing I need to do is the front wheel bearings.
I can hear the dreaded "howl" coming from the right front.

While I have done all the other work myself - thanks to this great group on the forum - after looking at the work involved in doing the front bearings, I've decided to let my local shop do them.

When I asked today for a price - he estimated 2.25 hours per side (getting both done), plus an alignment (said he would remove the hubs to press out/in the bearings).
Now he said that things might go well - might be as low as 1.5 hours per side - just wanted to give me a higher ballpark figure so I don't get upset if he runs into problems.

Do these labor times sound about right?
This mechanic is good and I trust him to do it right and not rip me off.
Just wanted to hear from some of you who have done this if the labor times seem about right.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
I had a front done a couple years ago, at a Ford Dealer. I think it was 106.00 dollars for labor and I supplied the bearing. So Id guess to say
around 150.00 parts & labor, each. I did the rears myself, they are a different animal.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I did mine on my 04 golf with a sir b-90 tool and did a write up on it. You need to do about 3 wheel bearings to pay for the kit in saved labor but I wouldn't take mine to a shop if I could help it. As for the time that sounds right.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
Thanks for the input so far -

$106 for one side is about in line with my place - 2.25 hours @$42.00

coalminer - I would like to do it myself, but without that tool, I would have to remove the hub assy, then take it to him for the press work - then also back to him for the alignment - so I figure I would just let him do the whole thing.

Edit: could you link me to your write-up?
I actually have 3 to do (2 on the Jetta - 1 on the NB) - maybe it would be worth it for me to buy the tool......also a link to the tool?

Thanks!

Edit II: I found your write-up - excellent!
I also found the B90 tool - seems to be ~$329
Averaging out the labor cost for the 3 @80 per bearing, I would have $240 - if I knew I might use the tool more, I would go that route, but just don't see me doing another couple bearings in the future.

So, for now, I am going to continue with the original plan - at least I know the labor time is appropriate.

Last edited:

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
quote:$106 for one side is about in line with my place - 2.25 hours @$42.00

...42.00 an hour is cheap, competition is good for the public but hard on businesses.
I got my truck brakes done yesterday at a small shop for a very reasonable price. Some garages are slow business wise and more willing to negotiate.
It's hard and I can relate, had to do it many times running my own small business.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Have you tried just tightening the driveshaft retaining nut? Maybe the bearing isn't that worse for wear. When I got my A3 (September '07), had to change the right front CV boot. I didn't have bentley back then so didn't know the proper torque spec for the driveshaft retaining nut. About a year later I was getting that horrible bearing howl. Car was in at a local shop and I told him about that. He checked the wheel for vertical play and there was some. So he just tightened the nut till there was little play and the wheel turned alright.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and I was getting the bearing noise again. But this time, I had bentley and a torque wrench. I torqued that sucker down properly (195 ft lbs!) and it seems to be holding up well, no noise. I think these bearings are pretty tough.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
Well, the deed is done.....

I could have suppllied the bearings myself, buying them from one of our trusted members, but I know that the shop needs to make a little on the parts as well as the labor to survive.

I insisted on non-Chinese junk bearings - told me he can get American made bearings. He used BCA/National bearings - charged me $74.89 each. I did look these up, and could buy them myself for ~$59, so not that bad - far cry from the price from one of our vendors though.

Anyway, charged me 3 hours @$45 = $135
Plus the bearings - $149.78
Alignment - $41.95

Grand total with tax was $346.33.

Yes, I could have saved ~$75 if I had supplied the bearings, but I'm sure he would have made up for his profit some other way.

So, being this is a job I didn't want to tackle myself, I don't think I did too bad.