My new CCV system...Version 3.0

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ok, I did it again. I made another CCV seperator system. This one I hope will be better than my last one (Ver 2.0). Here is a link to it in case you haven't seen it yet.

This time I used a hydraulic filter instead of a fuel filter. It is made of a stainless steel wire mesh filter media instead of the paper media found in the fuel filter I used last time.

It is has a 150 micron rating instead of the 10 micron of the fuel filter. And since it is stainless steel mesh, it wont absorb the oil and saturate the paper, causing it to clog. It flows very well and shouldn't get plugged like my last one.

Here are the pics:

And with it installed:

It was a snap to install. Just drilled one hole in the rad support and it fits very nicely under the support and clear of the filter housing and cooling fans. The cover will still fit over it, I just need to lengthen the one hose from the CCV puck so it bends around the mounting stud.

I will test this set-up for the winter and post my findings as I get them.

Parts were quite cheap too. The filter is a Donaldson hydraulic filter part number P550274. Cost was C$ 23 at Princess auto

The head was C$10, also from Princess Auto. The 3/4" 90* elbows were C$2 each and thread perfectly into the head.

And the hose was $3. You need about 4'

Manufacturer....................Part #..............Princess Auto SKU #

Filter: Donaldson...............P550274...........8038697
Head: Unknown.................FH125..............8006258
90* elbows: Hypropumps....BG-3EL34.......34332 07243

Total cost was under $40 and install took less than 10 minutes.

I just wanted to say thanks to Greg aka Dieseltwo for telling me about the filter. He saw my version 2.0 system and suggested trying this one. So I am. Thanks Greg.

Any opinions and comments are welcome as I am testing this setup and would like some feedback.

Thanks

EDIT: I am no longer using this system. Although it was effective, I decided to go with the setup Kayakkermit is using: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/11189Installing_the_KCTDI.pdf

Its simple, cheap & effective. No need to change filters, just empty the strainer once a month or so.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
That looks great!! I will be very interested in your results to consider one for my Golf.

Are you still using the original CCV to feed into this?

Thanks for all your work for this site!
-tom

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yes, I am still using the original CCV puck as seen in the photo. It is just a matter of rotating ot 90 degrees so the outlet points to the front of the car and then running 2 hoses to the filter. Very easy & clean instalation. my previous system was clamped to the oil filter housing. This made it hidden when the cover was on for the stealt look, but can be a pain to fabricate a bracket to make this one fit, so I attached it under the rad support. Its very sturdy and almost out of sight.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
HAY Wingnut if you make the tubing long enough like say in the boot you won't need the filter

only joking ?

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
You should incorporate some sort of spring loaded pressure relief valve to open incase it clogs. Kinda like the provent.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Funny you should mention that. the head does have a pressure releif valve in it. But the spring is very stiff. I am going to find a waeker spring and do just that.

I will post pictures of the head in detail when I get around to modifying it.

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Hows the filter working for you? Seems like a good idea. Can you tell how much oil is making it through?

Walter

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
To early to tell. But the inlet hose to the filter is turning black and the outlet is still clear. And it still blows through very easily.

I'll update more when I get more data.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
Yeah, how's this system working for you?

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Whip out your Princess Auto catalogue boys and girls, I may have found a better AND cheaper solution.

Inlet water strainers pn 8016504 ( 19.99 ) or 8016498 ( 29.99 ) They are on p. 111

Possibly v4.0 ?? I'll root at Canadian Tire today and see if they have anything similar ...

Last edited:

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
weasel said:
Whip out your Princess Auto catalogue boys and girls, I may have found a better AND cheaper solution.

Inlet water strainers pn 8016504 ( 19.99 ) or 8016498 ( 29.99 ) They are on p. 111

Possibly v4.0 ?? I'll root at Canadian Tire today and see if they have anything similar ...
try this out yet?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
well just bought the parts today from PA 41 bucks will do the install later tonight

weasel

TDI
None.
Nope, not yet. Haven't made it out there yet. I should be able to go the following weekend. Can't justify ordering when I know I am going to pick up a whole bunch of stuff there. Never seem to leave empty handed ...

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
well did the install tonight wasn't to bad just trying to get the 3/4 tube over the ccv puck outlet was kinda a pain, I think it looks nice :), gotta be better than smelling the ccv smell from the elephant hose

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Had one question here wingnut do you have any problems with the tubing on the cover? Just checked mine looks like it's touching, doubt it would be warm enough to melt but...

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
oldpoopie said:
You should incorporate some sort of spring loaded pressure relief valve to open incase it clogs. Kinda like the provent.
Shouldn't be a problem - it was designed to flow oil. At 150 micron it will take a long time to clog up. A Provent coalescing element on the other hand filters down to just a few micron.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
In cold weather condensation will clog it quick as it freezes in the filter media, assuming it gets well below freezing where you are. I have seen pics here of a 3/4" hose plugged full of ice, how many microns is 3/4 of an inch? ;-)

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
hey Wingnut having any issues with the oil not all staying in the filter? had mine on for over a week works well but notice some oil comming out of the filter hasn;t made it close to going back into the system... just wondering if you had the same thing happening

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Purchased the goodies for this today, thanks for the tip! Will install and have a 2500km roadtrip starting this afternoon. Will report back. I purchased the 8016498 - they didn't have the other in stock so I couldn't even compare.
One question - leave the strainer in or take out?
Another question - they were out of braided tube, purchased the plain jane tubing like wingnut's original picture. Should be safe with this or is braided tubing something I should look at getting.

weasel said:

Parkboy

TDI
Golf 2002 silver
Spicy, got your setup online yet. I am in Eddytown too, wonderin if it can handle the cold weather that we should get sometime this year.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Parkboy said:
Spicy, got your setup online yet. I am in Eddytown too, wonderin if it can handle the cold weather that we should get sometime this year.
Don't razz me too much about the zap straps, I was in a hurry... :D (of course I haven't mounted it properly yet). Anyways, it is doing it's job properly, lots of airflow, and you can see the return line back is quite clean. The reservoir did not have much gunk after 3000kms.
Of note, I left the engine cover off, from what I could see it appeared to kink the return line so I did not want any chance of that.
Of course I could probably still be running my elephant hose in our banana belt.... +7*C today!!!! (instead if -27...). Great to hear you're from around here!!!
Anyways, here it is:

weasel

TDI
None.
I got my stuff last weekend, installed already too :) I left the strainer mesh in and I stuffed it with stainless scrubber pad just for some more surface area. Haven't bothered to look at the hose to see how well its working. Was going to today, but blew a wheel bearing.

Spicy: I would worry too much about the clear hose you got. I think that the braided stuff is more durable, so replace when convienient.

TDIpurdue

Veteran Member
TDI
My first car: Jetta, '01, silver, automatic
I think the braided hose is actually made for higher temps, dont have to worry as much about melting. it should say at the hardware store which ones are made for high temp (output lines for dishwashers?)

weasel

TDI
None.
Just wanted to update on my CCV mod. After having it in for a month now, I was really impressed with how much oil it removed. I was also shocked at how much water was in there too ( condensation I guess ) 50/50 I think ? The only mod I am going to do to it is to add a drain vavle and a long hose.