60,000 miles
one owner
manual transmission
¾ tank of fuel
No prior problems, except for coolant sensor, replaced 6 months ago
Brake light recall completed a few weeks ago
Sliver paint
Fully stock

I drove it about a mile and parked, when I returned to the car after about an hour it would turn over but not start. It seemed to turn over normally. It would turn and appeared to "cough" once on what seemed like the first or second cylinder, but not start. The "cough" is at the point when it normally would start.

It has the original (5 year old) battery, but it does not appear to be weak. I do plan on trying to get it jumped as soon as I find someone with car and cables. The battery test out at 12.3V (tested after several tries to start it)

The immobilizer seems to be OK as all the dash lights appear to be working and the immobilizer light comes on at test, but does not come back on or flash.

It does turn over and all the lights in the panel seem to be functioning normally (including the glow plug light indicating a normal glow plug delay for the temperature) so it would appear the 1090 relay is OK.

Battery contacts were checked and the ground cable was cleaned. There was no apparent change.

I plan on checking the battery voltage under starting load and a jump start.

Any ideas?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
fuel purhcased from a trusted source?
can you see fuel moving in the line between the filter and injections pump?

Try replacing the fuel filter and filling it with PS white. If it dies again after that runs out, try diesel 911 in the tank, and get the car moved to a heated garage. I'd let it warm up inside the garage for a day or so and try again.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
dieseldorf said:
Joe, how cold is it?
It was about 28º F at the time I parked it (yesterday). The next day it was about 16º F when I tried it again today.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
tditom said:
fuel purhcased from a trusted source?
can you see fuel moving in the line between the filter and injections pump?

Try replacing the fuel filter and filling it with PS white. If it dies again after that runs out, try diesel 911 in the tank, and get the car moved to a heated garage. I'd let it warm up inside the garage for a day or so and try again.
Fuel was from a trusted source. I had used about a quarter of a tank over about four days. It had been colder during that time than when I had the problem.

I have considered that problem and I will follow up on it before it gets towed.

My fuel lines are opaque so I don't get to see if there is any movement.

Thanks

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
GGC said:
Anti-shudder valve?
That one I had not thought of. Frankly I don't know from ^&* about them. I will take a look at my Bentley manual (CD version) and take a look around the Club to try and educate myself on it. I have seen some messages about them but I have not paid that much attention to them

What can you tell me about them?

Thanks

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
It's in front of (or more a part of) the EGR valve. The control for it is on the back side when standing in front of the car. Wiggle it to see if it is free.

It acts like a throttle plate and blocks off the intake when the motor is shut down. it's supposed to reopen within a few seconds, but if it sticks, you're stuck.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
GGC said:
(and McBrew) Anti-shudder valve?
Thanks

That was it. I now have my NB back home in the garage.

Next step? I suspect that it will do the same thing again. I would like to assure reliable operation so do I replace the valve, clean the valve (after removing it, I understand) or what.

Could it prove to be a one time event and I should just wait and see?

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
For what it's worth, my brother's antishudder valve stuck closed on him at about 30,000 miles or so. He was at a 7-11 and couldn't start his car. He called me, I told him to check it, and he popped it back open. His car is now at 140,000 miles and it has never happened since. He has also never cleaned his intake.

In other words, it could be a one time thing.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd wait and see - you know what to do if it happens again. It's simple to "fix" and get on the road again. If it becomes a problem, or if you're in there anyway, clean it up.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Cleaning the intake is one of those preventive maintenance things that is good to do. When the weather gets nice, take a look and see what you're up against. Be careful with the valve and connections: the pushrod thing is easy to break.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
weedeater said:
Cleaning the intake is one of those preventive maintenance things that is good to do. When the weather gets nice, take a look and see what you're up against. Be careful with the valve and connections: the pushrod thing is easy to break.

I think that will be my plan. I plan on taking a look at my intake this summer, maybe at a Get Together in Ohio. Either way it should be more comfortable then than now in an unheated garage.

Again, thanks everyone.