Compounds for the Passat

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Think that turbo is going to stay secret for a while, lol. Glad I'm not the only one who can't identify it. Too bad we have to wait until the dyno to see how this B5 will run. I'm with A5INKY about loving the simplicity of the setup. It's not always easy keeping it simplistic.

What are your summertime highs over there JFettig? What would be the higher pressure the HP is running at? 23-25 psi? Those untreated air temps at 85F air temps would be what, 650-750F? You mentioned water injection. Big giant FMIC or going to A2W2A?

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
now THATS what I'm talking about! I'd love to see the pipes all welded up once done, I LOVE this stuff. Nice work Jon!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
It is a TD06. I'll post up more info later.

Michael, it gets up into the 80's regularly and up over 100 sometimes. I'll have to look at my numbers but I don't think it gets nearly that high coming out of the outlet. Especially at low pressure ratio. I'll assess inter-stage cooling when the time comes. I have run the numbers both ways, its not that significant but its not insignificant.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Turboguy, 12mm for the 3 and 4 bar MAP sensors and 18mm for the 6 bar and 2.5bar(early) bungs.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Think you will have this beast ready this spring/summer if Eric does a get together again?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm hoping to have it running in a few weeks, might be waiting on some stuff before I start turning up the fuel.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Got everything welded up last night, hopefully thermal expansion doesn't kick my butt!

Just burned those together on the inside and welded the outside

Need to tweak the HP outlet flange then flat sand it, and also flat sand the EGR pipe flange. Surprisingly nothing else really warped and the wastegate dropped right on. I talked to a fabricator at a local performance shop, at first he recommended a flex pipe but then said I could probably get away without, especially after I told him the pressures it'll see!

I'll clean up the EGR port and the other welds maybe this evening.

Jon

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I'm curious why the pipes to the wastegate are so long? Seems it could go a lot closer to the manifold, on top of the starter - it looks like it'll be down next to the CV joint there?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Mikkijayne - that long pipe is only 6", in order to get the outlet to go into the primary I had to make it somewhat long, probably not as long as it is, but close. It will not fit up on top, that was my first choice, routing is already extremely tight. Both the VNT actuator, intake, and turbine housing of the primary are in the way. I'll take another picture later on, I'll be working on it tomorrow. It hardly goes past the back of the block.

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
Awesome work, Jon! That car is gonna be spectacular! Envious, definitely envious.
I'll be copying this in a few years once I get this BHW swapped into my Audi.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Little bit of work done this morning, heading back into the garage in a few.

minor porting of the EGR port

Somehow I missed this interference, its very minor

die grinder

Picture for Mikkijayne

It doesn't show very clearly, but there is probably 10 inches to the axle.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I see what you mean now :) If it were where I was thinking of it'd probably be in the way of the downpipe.