CubbyChowder's TDI Build Thread

CubbyChowder

TDI
2003 2-door Golf TDI
First off, I'd like to say that all the cool dudes on TDIclub.com have helped me out numerous times throughout the past year or so. I am more active on VWvortex (don't worry, I'm not one of those a$$holes who will tell you to "lower it" :D). I refer people to TDIclub.com pretty frequently because it is such an informative and helpful site. I would be pretty lost without it.

My TDI wont match everyone's taste, but I appreciate any comments or criticism! I am fascinated by TDI's compared to all the other engines offered on the MKIV platform, and plan to learn a lot more in the future. I am basically copy/pasting this from VWvortex so it's in chronological order. Here is my story:

After hopping around from one MKIV to the next (as well as some Honda's), I've finally settled on this 2003 Candy White 2-door Golf TDI. This one is a keeper, it's everything I could ever want in MKIV.

I searched far and wide (on the interwebz) for the perfect TDI, and my heart was set the moment I saw this one. Low miles, reasonable price, 2-door, and it was a good excuse for a mini road trip. Called the guy up and after talking for about an hour I put down a $500 deposit. One week later flew over to Phoenix, AZ and after a 5-hour energy drink and 9 hours of cracked out highway cruising, I made it back to my home in Pismo Beach, CA. Here are some pictures of how it sat the day after I purchased it:

Since I bought the TDI for fuel efficiency purposes, the engine is staying near stock (I know some upgrades improve efficiency, and I might eventually start looking into that more). Apparently the ECU has been upgraded as well as the injectors, but I'm not sure of the brands. Sooo, as I know some of you will frown upon my next statement... this build will mainly consist of sexy aesthetic upgrades

First things I purchased were:
- Smoked bumper markers
- Glass headlight lenses (I did a semi-custom Joeyish mod to a set of headlights that I bought off my friend for $16)
- And these:

V-maxx's new Height/Dampening adjustable coilovers. I just ordered these today (10/14/10) so it might be a little before they are installed. Shipping was $75 :( heavy boxes from NY to CA aren't cheap!
With that said, I am very excited to try these out as I have never had any experience with dampening adjustable coilovers before.

Soon to come:
- Wheels. I don't really have my heart set on anything yet. I kinda wanna stay OEM and get some Aristo's (I've been starting to like Longbeaches and Santa Monica's lately as well). But we'll see what happens, I also really like the new ESM BBS LM rep's, as well as a few other new wheels on the market. I might also go the staggered route. Spacers will definitely be happening.
- Window tint, not feelin the fishbowl look, I feel girly.
- Black roof and a Thule bike rack.
- 20th AE GTI Recaro seats (If i can find some semi-locally)
- 20th AE Steering Wheel
- Front and rear sway bars, already have front waiting to install.
- Either Ocean tails or the Euro look ones R/S/S/R. Haven't decided yet.
- Diesel Geek Sigma short shifter
- Skid Plate
- Rear wiper delete

Last edited:

CubbyChowder

TDI
2003 2-door Golf TDI
Pretty much first thing I did was semi Joey Mod the headlights and put new glass lenses on. They came out great:

A few weeks later...Special Delivery! (yes, I got excited and layed everything out on a towel on my floor and took pictures)

I thought it was really cute that V-maxx packaged the dampening adjusters so fancily. I felt like a highschool girl getting some diamond earrings from her first boyfriend.

CubbyChowder

TDI
2003 2-door Golf TDI
Installed the coilovers and ditched the hubcaps. Rocked it like this for about 2 weeks:

Installed this 22mm H&R Front Sway Bar to prevent axle rubbing:

I had some R32 bumpers, and decided not to go that route anymore so I traded one of my front bumpers for these Long Beaches +$140 on his end. Tires were shot, had new 225/45/17's mounted later that day. The ride height was temporary, in these pictures the front was a little higher than the rear:

Last edited:

CubbyChowder

TDI
2003 2-door Golf TDI
A few days later I got my ride height all situated and snapped some photos:

Gathered up some more goodies. Mint 3-spoke steering wheel, 15mm ECS spacers with bolts, new dogbone mounts, and some GTI tail lights (not pictured):

Pics taken on Jan 20th, 2011:

Made it into the Reader's Rides section in the February 2011 issue of EuroTuner. I realize it's not that big of a deal but I was pretty pumped on it haha

Last edited:

CubbyChowder

TDI
2003 2-door Golf TDI
[Update 2/14/11]: Finally got around to installing the 3-spoke steering wheel. Super easy installation, took about 5 minutes. It looks and feels so much better than the 4-spoke, I love it.

And one outside of my house for shiits:

3/1/11 - I bought some 20mm spacers with bolts, so I installed those in the rear and moved the 15mm's up front. I rub slightly on both front and back on bumps and stuff, but it's only on a small portion of the inner fender liner. I'm just going to cut that little potion of the liner out and all should be good

A few pics of how it currently sits with 15mm up front, 20mm out back:

The front clearance:

The back:

I also replaced my dogbone bushings with the ECS polyurethane ones. It vibrated pretty violently for the first day or two, mainly at idle and when in 1st gear. Over the next week or so the vibrations became much less noticeable and it only slightly vibrates at idle now. It's much better once they break in a bit.

A few shots of the dogbone taken apart and put back together with new bushings:

Last edited:

CubbyChowder

TDI
2003 2-door Golf TDI
[Update on 3/9/11]: I discovered yesterday that my Injection Pump is leaking fuel, and I've been researching it a bit. I am thinking about tackling it myself as I've found some really helpful DIY's on it (that youtube video is awesome) and hopefully I'll have it back on the road within the next few days.

Also received this is in the mail a few days ago, Dieselgeek Sigma 5 short shifter. I will install it as soon as my leaky pump is fixed and good to go!

Last edited:

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Glad you are here bro! I am a regular over on the tex even tho i dont post much. Now make me a good offer on my Aristos because I know you want some. :D

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Mikey! Good to see you made it over here. I go by R10TDI over at SLOVW. I'll have to try out that DG shift linkage on your car sometime. Considering one for my Mk3 (I recently converted the shift linkage to the later 02J style).

When I'm back in town after the 22nd, I'll have to give you a ring and help with that pump reseal and whatever else you need! :)

CubbyChowder

TDI
2003 2-door Golf TDI
Mikey! Good to see you made it over here. I go by R10TDI over at SLOVW. I'll have to try out that DG shift linkage on your car sometime. Considering one for my Mk3 (I recently converted the shift linkage to the later 02J style).

When I'm back in town after the 22nd, I'll have to give you a ring and help with that pump reseal and whatever else you need! :)
Hey Matt! Sounds good man. I considered giving it a shot myself but I really don't know if I'll be able to get all the necessary tools. After giving it a more thorough inspection, it seems that the leak is coming from the head seal. And from what I gather, it's a pretty straight forward replacement as long as you're careful and somewhat inclined. You were saying something about having to remove the timing belt as well as some other parts? Is that for a whole different part of the Injection Pump? Because the DIY I watched replaced the 3 main seals and you didn't need to remove the timing belt.

If I don't get access to VCDS as well as the other tools needed for the replacement, I would like for you to do it. It's basically just whichever comes first as it kinda sucks delivering pizza's in my 15mpg mini van haha. I'm also still interested in getting my intake manifold cleaned out and recalibrating my EGR if you're up for it, but that might have to be at a later time depending on my funds.

I'm installing the short shifter after the leaky pump is fixed, and you're more than welcome to take it for a spin to see how it feels. It might be a good idea to let me drive it around for a week or so to let it fully break in before you try it out.

ProStreetDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Did you use heat paint on your headlights btw??? I'm debating on doing the same style as you did.. I was going to do mine black, but with a satin clear coat. I want to do the same finish with my grill too.