New to Me 2014 Sportwagen TDI

CrispySonOfA

TDI
2014 JSW w/ Malone Stage 3
Hello! Thank you for reading!! I just purchased a 2014 Sportwagen TDI. I am familiar with diesels as I own a Sprinter that I maintain myself for my work truck. I fell in love with it and had to get a diesel for my grocery getter.

This wagon just turned 120,000 miles and I want to do the Timing belt a few thousand early(as I understand it should be changed at 130,000) The transmission is also due for service and I was thinking I would do the 40k maintenance as well. Is there anything extra I would be smart to do now when I am wrenching on it? Going to do the timing belt, all filters, service tranny and oil change. I was going to buy most of the parts through IDparts although their TB tool kit is a bit steep. (might go ebay)

Are there any write ups that are reguarded as good for the transmission and timing belt job? Might as well just watch an oil change while im at it (I have a feeling its a little non traditional)

What tools should I purchase in addition to the pins for TB job? I'm thinking an oil pump would be necessary to refill transmission?

Also the 40k service kit at ID parts has 2 options for fuel filter
-434a
or -434b

What is the difference???

Any thoughts?

I appreciate the insight very much!!

Last edited:

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
The transmission oil change can be done without the tool. I take the battery box out to get at the filter. Remove the filter and then go underneath to drain the oil from the transmission by taking out the stand pipe and then the drain plug. Measure what comes out. It should be 4.6 liters. Put the drain plug and stand pipe back in. Get a vinyl hose and put it in the hole where the filter was. Attach it to a funnel and slowly pour in 4.6 liters of the correct oil. Put filter in and reattach anything else that was removed and you should be good to go. What I just wrote is from memory and the last time I did this was from about half a year ago so some of the details could be off a bit.

If you want it done properly the dealer has the tool to put the oil in from the bottom and they will check the level at temperature with the car running.

CrispySonOfA

TDI
I appreciate the reply! I saw a video where they were monitoring the temperature of transmission as they drained and when it got to a certain temp they put the plug in and added fluid. I will do some more research on that process. I have been really loving the car so far. Was hoping that I could do it properly without taking it to the dealer. Thank you so much!

CrispySonOfA

TDI
Does anyone have any insight on service for my TDI? Do I need to pop the valve cover and inspect or adjust anything? I’d parts recommends a valve cover gasket with the timing belt kit and I wasn’t sure if it was time for a valve adjustment?? Any insight is appreciated I’m a guy that like to do my own maintainance and will go above and beyond recommended to ensure trouble free operation. Thank you!!

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
the different fuel filter part #s are for the different fuel filters used in the Mk6 JSW. i’m not the official change date, but my ‘14 JSW has the late style filter (434b). idparts has good photos on the service kit page that shows the difference in the fuel filter canister lid, which tells you which filter element you need.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
It being a 2014, chances are it's a "late style" filter. As ewdy said, there are pics of the two types of filters on the idparts page.

A word of advice: don't skimp on maintenance parts. Avoid knockoff brands and stick to the OEM stuff that idparts carries; it costs more for a reason and I don't think profit is it.

Besides, you're only doing the TB stuff once for the next 130K and you'd rather not have to go back in there early or because something breaks and takes out the TB with it; just not worth the potential savings. You're saving enough coin if you do it yourself, and can so properly.