Modifying with Extended Warranty?

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hey all, I’ve been wondering about this for a while. The TDI Extended Warranty covers a lot of things (i.e. fuel/air/emissions/turbo systems), but if I modify one covered part under the warranty (let’s say straight pipes, CR170 turbo, and/or tune), will doing so void only their respective parts of the warranty or void the entire warranty? I was going to ask my VW service department, but they didn’t sound too thrilled when I asked about them potentially installing a CR170 turbo, and the guy tried to scare me saying now that I showed interest in modding my TDI, VW might not cover me anymore. His scare tactic worked on me until I thought about the absurdity of it being true, lol. Anyway, I appreciate any insight you can give on this topic!

Another question: what am I risking to upgrade my turbo, tuning, and emissions delete? Is it worth the risk? Will my TDI be more prone to failure? My biggest concern is the fuel system, I’ve read the HPFP horror stories. If I do upgrade the aforementioned, is the stock fuel system more likely to fail? Should I wait until the pump fails or install a CP3? Am I better off waiting until my warranty expires?

Thank you!

futat2

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2dr
what am I risking to upgrade my turbo, tuning, and emissions delete? Is it worth the risk? Will my TDI be more prone to failure? My biggest concern is the fuel system, I’ve read the HPFP horror stories. If I do upgrade the aforementioned, is the stock fuel system more likely to fail? Should I wait until the pump fails or install a CP3? Am I better off waiting until my warranty expires?
Thank you!
If you change all that you essentially remove all the parts that you need the warranty for. At that point it no longer matters. go all in or ride it out. I am a pay to play believer, I prefer the car the way I want it now, if I wait another 50K miles I'm just gonna loose interest by that time and miss out on all the possible fun.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen SEL
New owner here of a 2012. I'm gonna wait. Put so many miles on the car, I need to maximize the warranty while I have it!

Also, my VW dealer said that I could modify things that are not covered (i.e. suspension, etc.) if I wanted w/o any effect on the warranty. That being said, I will still probably wait just to be sure!