VW dealers now charging $65 for radio codes

grubyuppie

TDI
01 NB ALH 5sp M/T
All dealers now have a new policy from VW to charge for radio codes.

I'm looking for anyone who has access to radio codes for a 2001 Monsoon deck that I got from upullupay that did not have a code card in the vehicle. I have the radio SN# and the NB VIN# but no code.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Have you tried calling other dealers? I called one in my neck of the woods not long ago and they did it without asking for any money. Unless it's a super recent change.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
All dealers now have a new policy from VW to charge for radio codes.
I'm looking for anyone who has access to radio codes for a 2001 Monsoon deck that I got from upullupay that did not have a code card in the vehicle. I have the radio SN# and the NB VIN# but no code.
Sometimes the code was written on the rear of the radio!

With a radio this old the dealer may get you the code for a price, but they usually want the matching VIN of the car to prove the radio was not stolen.

Last edited:

grubyuppie

TDI
01 NB ALH 5sp M/T
Have you tried calling other dealers? I called one in my neck of the woods not long ago and they did it without asking for any money. Unless it's a super recent change.

I actually called 5 different dealers in 4 different states. I was told by one dealer that it is a new policy within the past 6 months.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I actually called 5 different dealers in 4 different states. I was told by one dealer that it is a new policy within the past 6 months.
And yet the owner's manual states that the code will be provided to the owner at no charge. But, I suppose since it's not the original radio to the vehicle they have a legitimate reason for the service charge.
In the past, I've recieved the code(s) for no charge from most dealers. Policies change, seldom for the better...

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
This reminds me of when I bought my used low mile '16 VW. When we had done the deal and gone out to drive away the salesman remarked that it had both keys and they usually don't.

I told him if it didn't we'd be leaving without the car.

Anyway, I did later ask for the radio code mentioned in the owners manual. Supposed to have been on a card as I recall. He called back and said the service guy said there is none.

Idunno why the book says there is but everyone says there isn't.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
There is BUT as long as the radio is in the same vehicle as it was originally installed in it won't ask for it even if you disconnect and reconnect it (or the power.)

If not, however.....

(At least this is true for the Monsoon series -- no idea on the newer ones.)

grubyuppie

TDI
01 NB ALH 5sp M/T
There is BUT as long as the radio is in the same vehicle as it was originally installed in it won't ask for it even if you disconnect and reconnect it (or the power.)

If not, however.....

(At least this is true for the Monsoon series -- no idea on the newer ones.)
Regarding my project, the Monsoon deck is from a different NB.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you can, take it in to different dealerships, they can do it for free if they want to.

grubyuppie

TDI
01 NB ALH 5sp M/T
If you can, take it in to different dealerships, they can do it for free if they want to.
I've called 8 different dealers in 5 different states and they all say the same thing although the prices are different.

The policy is new and it is from VW and applies to all dealers. VW requires dealers to charge for 1/2 labor to provide a radio code.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, I read that. Sometimes showing up and talking to the service person will yield a different result. Believe they just input the number off the radio. They can charge whatever they want.

grubyuppie

TDI
01 NB ALH 5sp M/T
Yea, I read that. Sometimes showing up and talking to the service person will yield a different result. Believe they just input the number off the radio. They can charge whatever they want.
We did go to only one dealer in person here in Albuquerque where I have received several radio codes over the years. The other dealer is not that convenient to my location to make a trip there.
I'm reluctant to pay for a code since I don't know if the radio is operational.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, for sure. Anything over $5 for 30 seconds work seems a bit steep. Always heard of people getting them for free, imagine you have to get lucky or know someone.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It looks like a VW affiliated business, might even be a dealership. Don't give up, maybe you'll come across someone who works there and can get it for you.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I tried getting a code last summer, both dealerships I called said NO. One had me call VW corporate, who said NO.

I went with that link. Way easier than the dealership run around.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yes, i used it right after VW changed their procedure

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If it powers up and ask for code it should be fine

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
You're not paying for the code, you're paying for the technology that makes codes possible :p