Tie rod boot

ncbound44

TDI
1991 VW diesel, 2002 Jetta TDI
Hello! I just saw my front left tie rod boot it ripped. I am trying to figure out which boot is slightly more stretchy to help with getting it on. Febi or meyle? What has your experience been? Thanks!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Tie rod boot or cv boot? On the 02? If it’s a tie rod boot just replace the tie rod. If it’s the cv you’re going to have to disassemble the cv to get a new boot on.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Helpless is as helpless does: think outside the damned box.
Pre-stretch the big boot end with a pop bottle of something else for a few hours prior to installation. Problem solved.

ncbound44

TDI
Helpless is as helpless does: think outside the damned box.
Pre-stretch the big boot end with a pop bottle of something else for a few hours prior to installation. Problem solved.
I don’t appreciate your comment. I was simply asking if people had a preference. I am a female new grad who maintains her own car with limited funds and tools. I am pretty sure that is the opposite of helpless. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I've never seen new boots for tie rod outside ends. You just replace the entire tie rod end. idparts has new ones, they are left and right side specific.

Or are you talking about the inner boot? If that's the case they do make inner boots and idparts has them also. If you take the outer end off and cut the clamps holding the boot on it will slide off and the new one will likewise slide back on.

Getting the new clamps secure is a tougher job because you have limited space to squeeze the clamp pliers. Some use a heavy duty zip tie, I've done that before but it's not the best option.

You will need to measure or count threads to be sure that the outer end goes back in the same spot that you removed it from. The turns of the outer tie rod end affect your alignment.

I don’t appreciate your comment. I was simply asking if people had a preference. I am a female new grad who maintains her own car with limited funds and tools. I am pretty sure that is the opposite of helpless. Thanks.

Kudos :cool:

ncbound44

TDI
I've never seen new boots for tie rod outside ends. You just replace the entire tie rod end. idparts has new ones, they are left and right side specific.

Or are you talking about the inner boot? If that's the case they do make inner boots and idparts has them also. If you take the outer end off and cut the clamps holding the boot on it will slide off and the new one will likewise slide back on.

Getting the new clamps secure is a tougher job because you have limited space to squeeze the clamp pliers. Some use a heavy duty zip tie, I've done that before but it's not the best option.

You will need to measure or count threads to be sure that the outer end goes back in the same spot that you removed it from. The turns of the outer tie rod end affect your alignment.

Kudos :cool:
I apologize, my post was vague in that area--yes it is in the inner boot. I ended up ordering from FCP since I will be replacing my sway bar bushings which is actually how I found the torn boot--when I went to measure the bar and saw the torn boot. I also ordered an extra boot just in case. I was going to attempt to slide it over the tie rod end with a greased bag but may end up needing to mark the location of the nut with paint and count spins to get the tie rod end off so hopefully I do not need an alignment. I think I will use heavy zip ties to secure it for now and then get metal clamps on when I can borrow the clamp pliers from someone. Thank you for your help!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Paint will work, before you loosen the nut put some paint on the threads behind it. Let the paint dry and then back the nut off about a quarter turn, remove the tie rod end. Avoid moving the nut when you slide the new boot on and the old boot off. Of course you could just cut the old boot in half.

Most auto parts stores have nice heavy zip ties, I use a pair of needle nose pliers to get them as tight as possible.

One thing you may have problems with is RUST I see your'e in NY and every new york car I've ever worked on more than 5 years old has had most of the fasteners underneath frozen solid. PB Blaster or other similar product form an auto parts store helps a lot.

ncbound44

TDI
Paint will work, before you loosen the nut put some paint on the threads behind it. Let the paint dry and then back the nut off about a quarter turn, remove the tie rod end. Avoid moving the nut when you slide the new boot on and the old boot off. Of course you could just cut the old boot in half.

Most auto parts stores have nice heavy zip ties, I use a pair of needle nose pliers to get them as tight as possible.

One thing you may have problems with is RUST I see your'e in NY and every new york car I've ever worked on more than 5 years old has had most of the fasteners underneath frozen solid. PB Blaster or other similar product form an auto parts store helps a lot.
That is exactly my plan! I have PB blasted this weekend and will do again tomorrow with plan on working on it this weekend. I have a pair of diagonal cutters as well. I just have to look up what to torgue the tie rod end down to, rent the tie rod end tool from autozone, wait for the parts to come in, and steal a friends driveway, jack, and jackstands! Thanks.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Don't take the chance. You should get it aligned after any front end part replacement. Just my 2¢...

...but may end up needing to mark the location of the nut with paint and count spins to get the tie rod end off so hopefully I do not need an alignment...