Vibration through clutch pedal when I rest my foot

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
So after driving to work this morning (45mins all highway) I actually think it is a bit worse now with the new dogbone. Not a huge amount but maybe 10-15% more buzz feeling through at the wheel/shifter (don't think clutch feel has changed). Which isn't unreasonable I guess since the new rubber is probably stiffer than the worked-in rubber from the old mount. But if a new OEM mount is making the vibration at the wheel/shifter worse then that's telling me that the engine itself is vibrating more than it should and it is not a problem with a mount transmitting too much vibration (I only have 1 left to replace anyways). Which leaves me with what possibilities?

DMF? (always a possibility)
Poor timing? (how do I diagnose that? engine runs like butter so this seems unlikely)
Poor injection timing? (I don't have a VAGCOM but it was adjusted a few months ago by a local TDI guru and I couldn't feel a difference)
Slightly bent rod? (engine runs like butter - this seems unlikely)

Anything else?
If it's worse with the new mount, I have to agree on flywheel. There is a reason we go to single mass.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Just to update this, after doing the dogbone mount I started reading up on aligning the engine/transmission mounts properly (as shown here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=213000). My mounts were not aligned as recommended (i.e. with bolts flush with the edge of the engine-side mount; parallel on the transmission side) so I loosened both sides and shifted the whole thing about 0.25-0.5 inches towards the driver's side to make things line up as they are supposed to. After all that: no change :(.

Back to looking at the DMF. Price quoted for a South Bend Stage 2 daily with all new associated bits in there was CAD$1760 installed. Ouch. Expensive upgrade!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I've kept up on this thread, but I don't recall anyone addressing the concept of "resting" one's foot on the clutch. Yes, you'll have some vibration with that, and no, you really shouldn't ever do that IMHO.
Sorry if not helpful, but there are cheaper options out there like the LUK DMF Clutch & Flywheel Kit.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I think he's just trying to relay how he can feel it. One of my tests for a bad flywheel is wind the motor out pretty good and when you shift you can feel the heavy vibration through the clutch pedal.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I've kept up on this thread, but I don't recall anyone addressing the concept of "resting" one's foot on the clutch. Yes, you'll have some vibration with that, and no, you really shouldn't ever do that IMHO.
Sorry if not helpful, but there are cheaper options out there like the LUK DMF Clutch & Flywheel Kit.
No, I don't rest my foot on the clutch during the course of regular driving. That's just when the vibration can be felt strongly.

And the Luk 17-050 Repset is one of the options I'm looking into (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497848). It's about CAD$450 cheaper than the SB Stage II Daily. Problem is that it's debateable whether the Luk will safely hold Stage 2 with 0.216 nozzles. It's very unlikely that I will mod beyond that so I'm not worried about margin for later power upgrades, but I do want to be sure it will hold the Stage 2.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
So, an update.

Had a new IDParts Quiet Clutch + SMF Conversion kit installed. Clutch now has no vibration through the pedal. Turns out the throwout bearing was a mess, although the DMF appeared okay - or at least it was not seized. But I *still* feel the engine vibration through my wheel/shifter. The same buzz as before felt at idle and through the RPM range. I've also replaced the serpentine tensioner assembly and it made no difference (not that I expected it to - I replaced it because the shock was toast). The only mount I have not replaced is the right side, but it looks and feels new enough that I suspect it was changed when the TB was done a couple years ago (previous owner). Either way it really doesn't feel like there's anything wrong with it. So I'm really left puzzled.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
My diagnosis is it’s a diesel! Is there anyone with a diesel that can’t feel vibrations in their steering wheel and shifter? It smooths out with increasing rpm because it wants to go. Even the diesel Benz experiences I’ve had produce vibration at idle.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
My clutch pedal has a pulsating feel to it too when I engage the clutch. Newish DMF/Clutch/throwout bearing... I thought it was normal?