won't start, clicking sound

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
Hey folks,

We picked up the Beetle in North Bay, ON in January, and drove it back to Canmore, AB. It started strong, drove quite smoothly across 3,200 kms, mileage was decent, so I'm not concerned with any glaring mechanical issues.

Then the deep freeze hit, and it hasn't started in over a month.

We had AMA try to boost it, and they said "the battery is fine, the problem isn't the battery."

When I tried to turn it over, it fluttered between dash lights and no dash lights but a clicking sound.

As the weather has begun to warm up (relatively), I've tried starting it a couple of times this week - still just the clicking sound.

What does that clicking mean? Is it simply a matter of having to wait for the weather to stay at or above 0C for a stretch before trying to start it again, or does that clicking sound indicate something...worse?

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide on this.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check that the battery cables are clean and tight. Take them off clean the cable ends and the battery terminals, reattach and try again.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Is it simply a matter of having to wait for the weather to stay at or above 0C for a stretch before trying to start it again, or does that clicking sound indicate something...worse?
Any VW diesel ever made will start fine in sub-arctic conditions if in good condition, so yup, not just a matter of waiting for it to warm up. :)

The clicking means your starter is not able to turn the engine over, and if AMA has tried to boost your car and failed they've confirmed the issue is not the battery or the connection between the battery and the battery cables (the jumper cables would have bypassed both of those)

Could be starter, , could be wiring to the starter, could be wiring to the starter solenoid, could be keyswitch. Could be the engine is actually locked. Not likely, however, if it was running the last time you parked it. :)

It probably comes down to how much you want to tinker with it vs get it running. Because there are lots of suspects troubleshooting could be a bit complex.

I guess, start with.... do you have a multimeter? If not, your best bet might be to tow 'er somewhere.

If you do have a multimeter I'd suggest starting by confirming battery voltage, and then voltage at the starter, and then voltage at the starter with the key on "Start", and then voltage at the solenoid with the key on Start.

Those 4 readings will tell you a ton about where to dig further. :) You could also do a careful look-see of the wiring connections at the big ground on the transmission case and the big 12V connection at the starter. Corrosion at either of those could cause your symptoms.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Have you tried jumping it with a very strong jump box? Clicking and flickering lights is usually a battery, i don't believe any battery test unless it is a load test, too many false positives.

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to all!

I'll tinker a bit with the battery terminals and a strong jump box. I don't have a multimeter nor know how to use one if I did. If I can't get it started, I'll probably have no choice but to tow it to a decent TDI mechanic in Calgary.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A multimeter is indispensable in diagnosing these cars and the problems that crop up. Less than $30 at Walmart mart or Home Depot for a cheap digital one. Go on you tube and learn how to use it.

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
A multimeter is indispensable in diagnosing these cars and the problems that crop up. Less than $30 at Walmart mart or Home Depot for a cheap digital one. Go on you tube and learn how to use it.
Good advice, thanks - I shall!

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to all who shared some of your time and experience.

I got the multimeter, the battery was worn down. When spring sprung, I boosted the car, it started, and picked up where it left off, driving as it was when we got it in North Bay, ON in January, and drove it across the country back to Canmore, AB (remember this detail...)

After we took it to get the out-of-province inspection and got a list of things required for it to pass, while driving it to Calgary it turned off...started again...and turn off again...

We towed it to Mid-Town Service in Calgary (the only recommended TDI mechanic mentioned on this site), to have them quote us on the work required to pass the safety, as well as to diagnose what the problem was.

They called us back saying it'd take $9,000 to repair. We asked for a detailed breakdown, and what they sent us itemized work up to ~$9,000 in parts, $4,000 in labour, for a total bill of $13,500

I'm not sure how we drove across the country without a problem and did not detect the car we were driving was in need of $13,500 in repairs.

Mid-Town did not straightforwardly address the safety work separately, nor did they specify the direct cause of the failure (besides quoting for a new alternator and battery). I'm having difficulty believing this is the best TDI service available in the Calgary area.

I'm going to post images of the safety work required, in case there's anyone out there who can either do the work required or recommend someone to us who can; and then I'm going to post the Mid-Town document just to see if anyone has any opinions of what can be put off vs what is truly necessary "right now" (I see timing belt on there, which is fine, and has been discussed in this thread; I see turbo on it...but where the safety said certain components were fine, they quoted for some too...??)

I'm just a little shocked. Hopefully y'all can either affirm that it's Mid-Town that's crazy and not me, or calm me down and tell me that this is what it's going to take for us to make/keep this car road-worthy.

Those of you staying tuned to my drama, thanks...stand by...

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
did the beetle have the emissions modification? if so, I would call a dealer to find out if the bug is still under warranty. If it is, tow it to a dealer.