Wagon owners: you put anything on to protect your rear bumper step?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I'm a big hatchback/wagon guy and I've always had something to protect the rear bumper for when things are being put into/pulled out of the cargo area. Most vehicles have a factory option for this but not the MK4 Jetta Wagon. Anybody have a good solution for this?

I'm thinking of either cutting a matte black piece of vinyl, or maybe even Plasti-Dipping something there. Any better ideas?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Mine has some kind of laminate clear plastic sticker type thing on it. It looks pretty bad, though.

Interested in what you come up with!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I installed 3M clear paint protection on (her) 2015 GSW. Almost invisible, and very durable, but not the same as a solid protector. You can get it cut to fit by model year, but it's not cheap for the good stuff.

One of our members used to sell the sill and bumper covers (gerwazy) but he hasn't been active in about 4 months. You might check out his thread.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I have the film on the hood of my wife's new Subaru. It works fine for small stone chips, but I wouldn't use it for the bumper step. It gets too much damage for a film to last. Just buy one of the countless rubber/plastic guards that are available on the market.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I have the protection piece from a mid-2000's Honda Pilot

You can kind of see it here

I will need to trim it and find some way to adhere it, but that's my plan ... it's one of MANY projects that have not moved very far over the last 5 years.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I have the protection piece from a mid-2000's Honda Pilot

You can kind of see it here

I will need to trim it and find some way to adhere it, but that's my plan ... it's one of MANY projects that have not moved very far over the last 5 years.
You have one that you have fitted up against the Jetta Wagon bumper? Fit is good?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
You have one that you have fitted up against the Jetta Wagon bumper? Fit is good?

Yes, I have one.

I did a physical compare to both a shorty bumper and a 2003 & up bigger bumper. One will require less work than the other, but both will require the bottom (mating side) to be smoothed (or holes drilled in bumper cover!??!) and most likely that downward lip to be removed.

I should look for other examples.

This is not a "plug and play" solution.

There is also a couple options that "fold out" from the cargo area and cover the rear bumper. I have 1 from an Audi A6, that I should check out too.

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
My clear plastic sticker was probably there since new so it's all cracked and nasty looking.

I might paint it with bed liner. My wagon is dark green so I don't think it can look that bad.

Plasti dip will work until you slide something on top of it. It'll rub right off.

cfa5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5sp
i bought my protector at canadian tire,said it was for mini van works great. been 9 yrs still on.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
My wagon has the film on the rear bumper. You can get the thicker stuff or see if another film is available at local vinyl/graphics shops that's either clear or the same color as your paint. I haven't seen any pieces that fit on top of that part of the bumper, such as a plastic piece, but maybe they had something in europe? Another suggestion is to tape it all up, trace out the shape you need, use a razor/xacto knife to cut that shape out(carefully) and then spray on a bedliner type of material. You can do rubberrized or one that's a bit more slick and is more similar to plastic. It's the same as a fender liner product for cars/trucks or offroad use. Some are more textured finish and some are smoother. It's definitely thicker than vinyl film, but should be more durable. I don't think you'll be using it as a step, so good quality film would be my pick, but you've got choices.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I bgt a new Alltrack and went on Amazon which has both chrome and black rubber self adhering units the fit what ever car or wagon you have . Mine is black rubber or vinyl and has been on 2 yrs and looks like OEM. I think it was $60.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
I went back and forth on a protector for jr's golf... there was so much other stuff going on with both the rear and front bumpers I went ahead and sprayed them. Went extra thick with the clear where that step is, so can buff out when bad things happen. It should last as long as the car will so I'm not too worried about further protection.