MK3 Modified Rear Mount

D_Bat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Below I have a link to somebody selling a SPA 8v turbo manifold. Nothing special there except if you read the description you will see that he says in the MK2s and Mk3s you will need a modified rear motor mount and the he sells those too. That's what sparked my interest to post this here because he might sell these pre-made to people who can't fabricate and want to do a VNT swap onto their TDI. It looks like the mount is shorter and might clear everything. I'm not sure though because I've never modified a rear mount but I saw a pic of one that was cut up and I think this might work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPA-...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_18503wt_940

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Actually its funny you mentioned it. I have been making and selling these for a while. (link with pics below)

http://performance-diesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=18

I specifically started making these up for vnt15 and vnt17 hybrid guys looking for more power and fuel economy in the mk3s. Fits mk mk2 alh swap too ;). It is amazing how little metal you have after modifying a stock one and how little room you have for clamps and silicone intake pipes when you go the modified oem route. Plus a few have broken the soft cast mounts after some heavy torque events.

D_Bat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I'm going to have to say I like how yours is over that other guys. :) nice piece you've got there. I might order one even though I don't need one just to free up a little bit more room back there for ease of making piping.

D_Bat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
First place I've seen that sells it at an online store or has any sort of advertising that they sell it.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Lol, I'm making one for mine and my brothers cars too! I'm getting them done in CAD to make them fit with lots more room than the above around the compressot inlet.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Lol, I'm making one for mine and my brothers cars too! I'm getting them done in CAD to make them fit with lots more room than the above around the compressot inlet.
**thumbs up** I was planning on doing the same...minus the CAD part...

I have way more time than money!

shwagondawheels

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI 420K and truckin
Is anybody out there breaking the factory aluminum brackets? You can just get BFI inserts and grab a VR6/ABA rear mount housing from the junkyard because the rear is different from the TDIs and the inserts only fit in VR6/ABA housings but the VR6/ABA mount with the insert will fit fine in place of the MK3 TDI one and not change the motors position..

I have the BFI stealth series inserts in all three corners and I love it..

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
The brackets only break when cut to clear the VNT turbo's, I've still not managed to get past the prototype stage with mine, lol!

I used Hockey pucks for engine mounts on Mk2/3's, cost me about £10 to make all 3!!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I think I'm the only one that has had an aluminum bracket fail after cutting it. It would have never failed in street conditions. It didn't even fail at the dragstrip at Waterfest because they didn't prep the track on the hot summer day, but at a well prepped dragstrip (big hp cars were there ~1,000hp), plus it was cool out, I broke the cut mount.

Ryan, Hockey pucks on a tdi? I had Turn 2 USA poly mounts (1st company to make poly mounts for the VR6) in my DZSL SLC car and it almost vibrated off the jack stands. I couldn't imagine running mounts that stiff on the road.

Last edited:

markone

TDI
polo tdi estate
hi i have fitted the pd 150 turbo gt1749vb onto my alh polo estate and had to cut my engine mount bracket,will it break as im only going to be running about 150 bhp, many thanks.

TDIGUAN_JLC

TDI
Tiguan 4motion manuel TDI GTB2260VK
Hi, i’m from montreal (canada) and i actually search rear engine mount for swap my alh in golf mk3 1993, i think anyone can have one for me at good price? Thanks
Jeremy

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
try posting in the classifieds please. its great to see an old thread but geeze!