VAG-COM cannot read TCM on 96 01m is the TCM dead-what else to check?

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I know 01m's are crap.

My daughter got this 96 Jetta that was intermittently having a minor shift flare problem so I did a fluid change.

Also changed out the gauge cluster since the old one was only working about 5 % of the time.

Put in a used cluster I bought and all was well for about 4 days.

Then she told me the speedometer stopped working again and there was a CEL. Had not seen any CEL's before this.
So I got out the vag-com and checked the codes.

Didn't note the actual code #'s but there were two of them.
One for warning lamp intermittent ground open, or something like that and one for vehicle speed sensor implausible signal intermittent.
So I cleared the DTC's and they stayed off.

Then I did a transmission reset using the key on, accelerator to the floor for 10 seconds then let off and turn off key.
I did this because I had changed the trans. fluid a week ago and read somewhere that this should be done after the refill and I hadn't done it.

So I start up the car, put it in reverse and the thing is chugging like a steam locomotive.

Today I went back in with the vag-com to try to look at the trans. The vag com can not communicate with the TCM. Says could not open controller.

Did I somehow fry the TCM? Is there a fuse or something that went bad that powers the TCM?

I am pretty sure the chugging symptoms is due to no control from the TCM.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Invader

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
No firsthand experience, but I have heard some issues with the TCM can be corrected by reseating the connector(s).

HTH

Tony

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pull up the back seat and check for any water damage at the TCM connector. Unless this is not an 01M but a 096 trans, in which case the TCM is under the front passenger seat. It should be an 01M though. ABA engine I assume.

Last edited:

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I guess i should have know better that to try to pull a fast one on you guys.:eek:

Yes it is an ABA. I was just desperate to get this tranny working again and did not want the post to get removed because it is not a TDI.

On a good note, the problem is solved!

Unplugged the TCM and all the connectors on top of the transmission and reseated them. Fired it up and ever thing is back to normal as far as how the car runs.

However I have not had a chance to see if Vag-com is now communicating with the TCM.

Thanks you guys very much for you help.

Invader

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
invader said:
I guess i should have know better that to try to pull a fast one on you guys.:eek:

Yes it is an ABA. I was just desperate to get this tranny working again and did not want the post to get removed because it is not a TDI.

On a good note, the problem is solved!

Unplugged the TCM and all the connectors on top of the transmission and reseated them. Fired it up and ever thing is back to normal as far as how the car runs.

However I have not had a chance to see if Vag-com is now communicating with the TCM.

Thanks you guys very much for you help.

Invader
I thought I was going crazy for a second. a B4V with an 01m... MOTHER OF GOD! I was aware that the 01m is used in many applications, just didn't think any B4s or pre-1998 :confused:

I would have posted in the "general VW discussion" or maybe "general automotive" subforum, but only for forum-etiquette. when you need to get a question answered ASAP, sometimes a guy needs to post-up and hope someone helpful like oilhammer sees it :)

no Freddie Mercury for you, sir! :D

Last edited: