3.0 TDI Gen 2.1 Fix & APR Stage 1 tune ????

BoilerBrad

TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
3.0 TDI Gen 2.1 Fix & Tuned ECU's

Can anyone speculate on how the ECR will work with the ECU tune?
Will the software part of the fix overwrite the ECU software?
In regards to the hardware mods, will the tune even be relevant? If not, do you think ECU manufacturers would work on an update?
Thanks!

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No speculation on how the tune might work, but I would speculate that no tuning company is going to put much $ into creating a tune for a shrinking market item like our dying or dead 3.0 TDi. And risk pissing off the EPA and CARB...

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
No speculation on how the tune might work, but I would speculate that no tuning company is going to put much $ into creating a tune for a shrinking market item like our dying or dead 3.0 TDi. And risk pissing off the EPA and CARB...
We'll be on top of it and do have a lot of customers on this platform. Deletes of course do not pass any kinds of emissions testing and aren't road legal, so it's up to the owner to break the law and risk trouble with the EPA if they wish to do so. Mark has analyzed the changes in injection mapping, regen frequency, urea injection etc on the EA288s and behavior on the ea189s as well. The same will apply to the newer 3L fix, and depending on how long it takes alientech to update the tools we should have fresh files on the market within a few weeks.

BoilerBrad

TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
We'll be on top of it and do have a lot of customers on this platform. Deletes of course do not pass any kinds of emissions testing and aren't road legal, so it's up to the owner to break the law and risk trouble with the EPA if they wish to do so. Mark has analyzed the changes in injection mapping, regen frequency, urea injection etc on the EA288s and behavior on the ea189s as well. The same will apply to the newer 3L fix, and depending on how long it takes alientech to update the tools we should have fresh files on the market within a few weeks.
That's great to hear. How big of an ordeal is it going to be to remove all the crap the dealer will put on (physical and ethereal)?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
My crystal ball hasn't been working too well lately; we'll be on top of it, but have no way of predicting what we'll have to do. On EA288s it was just a simple re-flash, on EA189s we had to bench-flash one of every ECU type to build a database of files.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Wife won't pull the trigger immediately after the fix but has agreed to a $699 trust account so that after 6 months we can buy the tune or dissolve the "trust" depending on post fix driving impressions

Turboneon1997

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6sp Man.

Thank goodness. I have been waiting to get this done because of all this mess.

Obviously my track only Cayenne diesel will need a delete... It will pay for itself with all of the ADBlue savings

BoilerBrad

TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Any updates? I just got the fix today. Interested in the DPF delete and stage 2 from Malone.

GIACUser

TDI
2014 A8L 3.0 TDI
Any updates? I just got the fix today. Interested in the DPF delete and stage 2 from Malone.
I put the Malone Stage 2 tune on my A8L 3.0TDI that had the dieselgate fix done already and did none of the deletes you can do for max power outcome of the tune. Did this a few weeks ago.

The results are absolutely stellar. Much more power than pre-fix. Really turned the car into a beast and it is now a lot faster than my 4.2 A8. Would highly recommend the Malone Stage 2 tune.

I ordered the Flashzilla installer and the tune. Once you get the Flashzilla installer you use it to copy and send your stock file to them and they return a Stage 2 tune. Owain and Mark actually gave me my tune same day!! Tune uploads in about 15min (you just need Win laptop).

I have applied many different tunes to my forced induction cars over the last 20 years and this tune by far has provided the greatest increases I have ever seen. If you enjoy performance get this tune, it really transforms the car. Malone did a stellar job on this.

Last edited:

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I put the Malone Stage 2 tune on my A8L 3.0TDI that had the dieselgate fix done already and did none of the deletes you can do for max power outcome of the tune. Did this a few weeks ago.

The results are absolutely stellar. Much more power than pre-fix. Really turned the car into a beast and it is now a lot faster than my 4.2 A8. Would highly recommend the Malone Stage 2 tune.

I ordered the Flashzilla installer and the tune. Once you get the Flashzilla installer you use it to copy and send your stock file to them and they return a Stage 2 tune. Owain and Mark actually gave me my tune same day!! Tune uploads in about 15min (you just need Win laptop).

I have applied many different tunes to my forced induction cars over the last 20 years and this tune by far has provided the greatest increases I have ever seen. If you enjoy performance get this tune, it really transforms the car. Malone did a stellar job on this.
Great write up. I miss my old 4.2 and this tempts me to have Malone tune my TDI.

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI

Thanks for the review, im really considering getting a stage 2 tune. Can you comment on how the shifting is between gears with the tune? Fuel mpg?

Last edited:

BoilerBrad

TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I ordered the delete kit and stage 2 tune from Rawtek today after a few email volleys with Owain from Malone. I'm hoping the install is fairly straightforward. Anyone that's installed the downpipe yourselves, what were your experiences like? I must admit I am no master mechanic. I maintain my family's fleet of bikes and can change my own oil/filter, but only done one exhaust related job (a cat back bolt-on). Do you have any tips other than those listed on Malone's site?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
lots of info here on the forums.. search egr delete..or malone tune..stage 2 etc..check out tdi enhancements forum

McFuzz

TDI
A6 TDI

How is your transmission handling it? Wonder if the A8L has the same one as the A6 since the drivetrain is, more or less, the same... I've been on the fence on getting the tune but I am warrantied up the wazoo and a bit paranoid :(

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
How is your transmission handling it? Wonder if the A8L has the same one as the A6 since the drivetrain is, more or less, the same... I've been on the fence on getting the tune but I am warrantied up the wazoo and a bit paranoid :(
Very happy I found this thread. I have been doing my research for a Malone Stage 2 for a '16 Audi A6 3.0L and chatted a bit with Owain.

After reading this and asking him questions specifically about the transmission my concerns have been eased and I'm ready to pull the trigger on this.

Now do I get the flashzilla or go to the shop that is 10 minutes from my house and have professionals do it.....

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
I would go with the pro
Only thing I'm debating, but still researching, is if Malone makes an Eco tune for my car and if thats worth having two tunes on hand to switch between. One for fun and one for long trips.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you can afford it is is handy at times to have the tool to do it yourself instead of having to schedule with someone else. Makes what you want to do with tune swapping easier as well.