FS: MK IV Bora \ Jetta OEM Xenon HID Headlights Replicas, Great Quality!

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver

Put them on the car last night. Fitment is a little tight, as the connector on the passenger side light, hits the hard plastic intake pipe coming up from the intercooler.

Levelers seems to work fine though.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i got mine mostly on too, but i think i might do away with the 10-10pin adapter harness to get some of the wiring out of the way. i wired up the levelers to work with the rheostat (thanks david!) and they work great. one of the leveler motors was popped out of its socket when i took it out of the box but was an easy 5 minute fix. overall, i think the quality looks very good, we'll see how they look at night, but i'm happy so far. just really want to do away with the extra wiring that's going on...

i also had an issue with my larger custom IC pipe with the ballast wiring hitting the silicone elbow, but i flipped the ballast upside and was then a non-issue. the wiring harness coming out of the headlight however does hit the IC tube a bit. :)

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Put them on the car last night. Fitment is a little tight, as the connector on the passenger side light, hits the hard plastic intake pipe coming up from the intercooler.

Levelers seems to work fine though.
Anxiously awaiting light output and beam pattern review (esp. compared to e-codes and stock lights)

TIA

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
Anybody notice the beam\lens bouncing over bumps? I have a set and the lights seem to bounce. I checked all the bulb connections are tight. Same goes for all the adjustment knobs, they are all tight to. Still have bounce over rough terrain. :confused:

vancity

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2001
Anybody notice the beam\lens bouncing over bumps? I have a set and the lights seem to bounce. I checked all the bulb connections are tight. Same goes for all the adjustment knobs, they are all tight to. Still have bounce over rough terrain. :confused:
All I can say is double check the D2S bulb is secure, this could cause the bulb to bounce. It may look secure, but if you disconnect the red plug from the D2S bulb, you should not be able to move the bulb.

eyeguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat Wagon TDI
I think after my drive this evening through a bit of a snow storm on stock lights, I'll be ordering up a set of these. Stock Jetta lights stink!! We all know that, but they may be the worst of any car I've owned. I had originally planned on a few other upgrades for power, but I put my safety ahead of performance!

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
All I can say is double check the D2S bulb is secure, this could cause the bulb to bounce. It may look secure, but if you disconnect the red plug from the D2S bulb, you should not be able to move the bulb.

Trust me its secure. What I've noticed is the whole internal chasis (projector and High Beam) seem to move ever so slightly. My wifes OE projectors in her Passat do the same thing.

You can actually see them bounce if you have the lights on and give you hood\fender corner I nice firm pounding to simulate rough roads :D.

Maybe I just need new struts\shocks? They are original factory units and have just under 180k miles. Seems to ride nice enough for me ?

Anybody else notice?

Nick

Last edited:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Trust me its secure. What I've noticed is the whole internal chasis (projector and High Beam) seem to move ever so slightly. My wifes OE projectors in her Passat do the same thing.
If the whole assembly is loose, then it kinda sounds like one of the adjusters is disconnected.

I know an the height adjuster on mine was disconneted, and burpod had issues with one of the headlight levelers in his being disconnected. If it were a height adjuster like mine you would have definitely noticed, since it would cause the light to point at the ground. But if it were the leveler thats disconnected, it would act exactly the way you describe.

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
If the whole assembly is loose, then it kinda sounds like one of the adjusters is disconnected.

I know an the height adjuster on mine was disconneted, and burpod had issues with one of the headlight levelers in his being disconnected. If it were a height adjuster like mine you would have definitely noticed, since it would cause the light to point at the ground. But if it were the leveler thats disconnected, it would act exactly the way you describe.

Leveler? Leveling motor connection? I've verified more then twice that all adjusters I could see were in their respective ball sockets (horizontal and vertical) and the connection on the leveling motor.

Its really quite annoying. I got tired of taking the front bumper off after a while :cool:

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
I'm going to look at alternate ways to better package the lights rather than the custom fitted styrofoam trays and double boxing. I see if alot of bubble wrap will help solve the issue of adjusters getting knocked loose in transit.

Thanks for your comments.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi

You can actually see them bounce if you have the lights on and give you hood\fender corner I nice firm pounding to simulate rough roads :D.

Maybe I just need new struts\shocks? They are original factory units and have just under 180k miles. Seems to ride nice enough for me ?

Anybody else notice?

Nick
is the leveler arm not connected or broke, this could cause the bounce.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
is the leveler arm not connected or broke, this could cause the bounce.
If one of the leveling arms was disconnected, the whole headlight would point down, so it probably isnt this.

If everything in the headlights are secure, and tight, sounds like either the screws holding the lights on are loose, or the frame on the car holding the lights maybe loose. Maybe trying putting on your original lights and see if your lights bounce.

But, I had mine on the car for over 6 months now, and there is no bouncing at all. Everything is firm.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
Please be patient I'm asking some of my customers to post some beam pattern shots of their lights.

I offer a full refund including shipping fees if you are not satisfied with the lights!

In terms of quality, here is an independent review of some of the different HID Ballasts out there. The ones sold here are equivalent to item #10 in the review, you can beat them with a hammer and they still work!

http://www.mobilehid.com/philips-review.htm

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
could you throw a step by step on how to do this up? been curious about it....leveling motors that is...

i got mine mostly on too, but i think i might do away with the 10-10pin adapter harness to get some of the wiring out of the way. i wired up the levelers to work with the rheostat (thanks david!) and they work great. one of the leveler motors was popped out of its socket when i took it out of the box but was an easy 5 minute fix. overall, i think the quality looks very good, we'll see how they look at night, but i'm happy so far. just really want to do away with the extra wiring that's going on...

i also had an issue with my larger custom IC pipe with the ballast wiring hitting the silicone elbow, but i flipped the ballast upside and was then a non-issue. the wiring harness coming out of the headlight however does hit the IC tube a bit. :)

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
Here is an updated photo of the beam pattern. It does flare up abit to the right, and is not as horizontal like other brands such as Morimoto, but it does a great job at lighting up street signs on the side of the road, just like it was designed to do.

The projector is very similar to the Bosch designed one as on the BMW E46, compare the two.

Photo borrowed from HID Planet of a BMW E46 Projector, here is the link:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...Murano-FX-IS-e46-LR3&highlight=cutoff+pattern

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
A picture of the beam pattern with mine:

The picture vancity posted in his last post is a really good picture, and better represents the beam pattern than mine does. In real life mine look almost identical, and in my picture you can see the cutoff of the left headlight matches the cutoff from his photos.

Here is a video of the levelers in action, going down then back up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adLzfvC3oc

They work exactly the way you would expect and I am very pleased with the light output. The light is really even, and the color isnt far off standard halogen bulbs, so they really illuminate the road well.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/

hopya

TDI
Jetta
Leveler? Leveling motor connection? I've verified more then twice that all adjusters I could see were in their respective ball sockets (horizontal and vertical) and the connection on the leveling motor.

Its really quite annoying. I got tired of taking the front bumper off after a while :cool:
Recheck the ball and socket joints again make sure none are lose. Everything should be tight and compare it to the other light. Ed will sort things out for you!

Last edited:

red2002

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Put mine in and they worked great, nice and bright and good cut off on low beam. Lights up the shoulder well so I can see the damned deer that we have so many of.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
Put mine in and they worked great, nice and bright and good cut off on low beam. Lights up the shoulder well so I can see the damned deer that we have so many of.
Thanks for your feedback!:)

I only have 3 chrome sets left!

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
well, i am wanting new lights and have been looking on the vortex only to find there is someone in my hometown selling these. nice

two questions - can i get 6000k bulbs and can i come pick these up and save the shipping?

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
well, i am wanting new lights and have been looking on the vortex only to find there is someone in my hometown selling these. nice

two questions - can i get 6000k bulbs and can i come pick these up and save the shipping?
You can certainly come by and pick these up in person and save on the shipping costs! Sorry, I dont carry other bulbs. Some place like the Retrofit source or similar vendors have a really good price for a pair of 6000K bulbs though.

vancity

TDI
Jetta 2001
All the chrome sets are now sold! I still have some black sets available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.