1998 Jetta, front disc brake wear too fast...

marc_andre_n

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hello,
It is now the third time I have had my front disc changed this year... Parts are warranty, but not the time.
They last less than 5000 km!!! The car shake like hell when I put my foot on the brake pedal...
I don't feel any drag, either at high or low speed.
I do hear a sound, like a bird!, couic couic, but it has been there for years...

Does anyone has had that problem before,
What could be the reason for that, caliper, master cylinder ???
Thanks
Marc:eek:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
When you replaced the discs, did you clean down the hub correctly? Did you torque the wheel fixings correctly?
Sounds like you're suffering from DTV (disc thickness variation), and it's normally caused by a new disc not going on properly. Whilst the caliper can shift side-to-side to accomodate runout while braking, the pads continually touch the high-spot, wearing it down. Hence the disc's thickness is not even all around...
You'd need to confirm that the new discs are on properly with a dial gauge this time, disc manufacturers quote a runout figure that you must be within at fitment.

TDI X3

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 06 Jetta, 09 JSW
Had the same problem when I first purchased my 98 Jetta. The car squeaked like crazy from the front wheels. The brake pads looked fine but I didn't know how old they were and thought maybe they were glazed or something. Being lazy (and stupid) I took it to a local brake shop and had the rotors, drums, pads and shoes replaced. The following day the noise returned so I took it back and they said it was normal for the vehicle and they couldn't do anything. So I took the car home and put the front up on jack stands, removed the wheels, started the car, ran it first gear at idle and noticed a slight wobble of the rotors. I also found that the squeak wasn't coming from the brakes but from the mounting bolt that runs through the caliper; the caliper was moving in and out on this bolt and causing the noise. I then removed the rotors and ran the car again and found the problem to be bent hubs. Replaced the hubs and car is now perfect.

marc_andre_n

TDI
1998 Jetta
Tdi X3

The Hubs, that might explain front wheel bearing replacement as well (twice in the last 3 years...) ???
Thanks