1998 tdi jetta no start

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
will do on day off next week with pictures and everything I find Is there any Special tools to tear down cylinder head

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, and I can drop them off at work for you, along with the A3 manual. It's not too bad, just time consuming since you'll need to reuse the parts you remove. Let me know when you are working early next week and I'll drive them up to Manchester.

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
Well I have Tuesday Wednesday off again I could drive down to you Sunday after I get out work if that would be easier my gf has a mk3 jetta tdi also

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I have heard of 1 or 2 people doing a partial rebuild of the TDI pump. Usually, there are hard parts that need top be replaced, so the pump usually gets sent off to DFIS in Portland.

A lot of times we can do a reseal of the top cover, QA housing, and pump head.

Tony

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
I don't have the money to send it away so im gonna try to rebuild it, I figure if I can rebuild and automatic transmission this should be a piece of cake, thats not portland maine is it

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Smokey, be careful where you get parts if you attempt this. Before you buy, check with this site to be sure you aren't buying Prothe parts which are Junque. (that's just fancy junk)

And yes, DFIS is in Oregon.

I'm not sure why you want to rebuild the pump though. It has a stripped hole, but isn't that all?

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
feels good to be so close to get this car in the road and runnning under it own power
for got to tell my dad that was 3 orders of parts coming in and he freaked when he got home and there was boxes of parts everywhere with his name on them

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If the seals on the injection pump are leaking, then you don't need to disassemble the entire pump, just replace the seals on the external components. Runonbeer has a How To on this.

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
Where do you guys buy battery I called sears and advanced auto neither had, mine wont hold any sort of charge

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
i have to look at autozone which is about 30 miles away, i just checked with parts guy at vw dealership and he said they don't list one either, also while i was there my gf was getting a new windshield she had 2 bad cracks we took a 2010 jetta tdi with 25,000 miles on it i was surprised at the difference in power between her 98 and the 2010. I would go to o'reilleys but i don't believe there is any in Maine

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It's hard to compare a '98 with a 2010. If you want to try out that engine with some mods, take mine for a spin the next time we meet up. I guarantee it'll put a smile on your face.

No O'Reilly's in Maine. I bought mine from Wal-Mart (they don't make their own batteries) and have not had an issue.

I have the injection pump triangle socket if you need it. I have also replaced the seals on a few pumps with no problems.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Be warned, that if you lose your receipt, O-Reilly's will NOT warranty their battery. I guess that Mfg Date sticker is just for show. I will never buy a battery from them.

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
So I rebuilt the car it has a new head, cam, lifters, valves. timing kit, and rebuilt injection pump and more that im missing, so crank it over and some times it starts and runs for about 5 seconds and stalls, have no idea cant figure out and don't have a vagcom or anyway to figure out

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Assuming the IP is in the correct timing position, just advance the IP until it runs...within reason. Loosen the 4 bolts and push the IP towards the engine block/head.

Tony