www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 7th, 2018, 04:30   #1
Matthewhovis

Fuel Economy: my record: 51mpg
Default Re-setting to original pre-emissions scandal settings?

Has anyone successfully reset their TDI to pre emissions scandal settings? We have a 2010 sportwagon that was totally ruined by the new modifications. We want our old car back, can it be done?
The car only gets 28 mpgs, has lost 40% of power, and worst of all it regens the diesel participate filter every time we drive it.
I am wondering if there are any aftermarket re-maps available?
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:22   #2
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Not legally permitted. It sounds like a problem with specific cars not affecting every one after the fix. Edit: I haven't read this forum in a while, seems like those doing the fix have fallen into two camps, fairly minor differences and nuclear war. Shrug.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; February 7th, 2018 at 11:28.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:48   #3
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

You have a problem with the vehicle that either showed up coincidentally with the fix, or was pre-existing but revealed by the fix.

Plenty of aftermarket re-maps are available, but they won't fix something that's broken.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 12:06   #4
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
You have a problem with the vehicle that either showed up coincidentally with the fix, or was pre-existing but revealed by the fix.

Plenty of aftermarket re-maps are available, but they won't fix something that's broken.
I agree
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 15:37   #5
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I have the stock tune file for my car. I could probably reflash it using my Powergate, but I’d rather have a stage 2 tune.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 05:04   #6
Diesl
Veteran Member

Have the DPF loading checked. Are you driving such short distances that the DPF burnoff never finishes?
Old February 8th, 2018, 05:14   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
Have the DPF loading checked. Are you driving such short distances that the DPF burnoff never finishes?
Bingo. You have to let it finish, otherwise it will just keep trying and wasting fuel.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:04   #8
Matthewhovis

Fuel Economy: my record: 51mpg

The car is driven two hours a day, to and from work. I would think that would be sufficient time for the dpf to regen. I have been looking into the Malone stage 1. Anyone have it that can give feedback?
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:28   #9
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Bingo. You have to let it finish, otherwise it will just keep trying and wasting fuel.
A couple times this past month I've noticed the fans going full blast for a good 5+ minutes after I've turned the key off and started to walk away.

Is that indicative that the regen was just getting started, in the middle, or cooling down at the end? I never know if I've just missed one or if it just finished, but I sure do hear this happening a *lot* more frequently than my pre-fix 2012. I don't even remember hearing that ever in my 2012 and I drove that for years. I've only had this post-fix 2015 a couple months and it almost seems like a weekly basis.

I've even hopped back in and drove back on to the freeway for a few miles round but I don't know if that did any good.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 09:51   #10
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewhovis View Post
The car is driven two hours a day, to and from work. I would think that would be sufficient time for the dpf to regen. I have been looking into the Malone stage 1. Anyone have it that can give feedback?
That isn't enough necessarily. If those hours don't coincide with a regen then it won't complete at times. I use VAG DPF to monitor mine. Even with a 45 minute one way drive I find it usually happens when I get ready to stop. It pays to monitor this to insure it regens for the health of the system. The few dollars it costs to do this vs the hassle of not knowing and having something happen is worth it to me. Once you see how often it happens you can plan a little better for them without excessive time or effort.
Old February 13th, 2018, 11:43   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post

I agree with this. Fixed cars don't regen significantly more often than pre-fixed cars, and the FE loss, if any, is minor. It's also possible that something went awry with the fix. I'd take it back to the dealer and let them know what's happening.
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:17   #12
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Fixed cars don't regen significantly more often than pre-fixed cars
That's surprising you believe fixed cars don't regenerate more frequently. The entire scandal was about the emissions systems not operating as much or even at all under daily driving circumstances.

It seems pretty clear that the software fix is increased regens with more adblue consumption and different shiftpoints. The power exists, but it's more difficult to get to (with a DSG, at least). It's much more difficult to hop from light to light now than before. The pedal is spongier, but exactly as one would expect if one was in an economy mode.

Anyway, meeting the extreme position of, "my car is ruined" with, "nothing substantive has changed" seems silly.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:37   #13
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I said "significantly." They may regen more often, although we haven't experienced that with the fixed cars here at IDParts. What we definitely haven't seen is a significant increase in fuel consumption. The combination of more fuel used and more frequent regens indicates to me that there's something wrong with the OP's car.
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:00   #14
demagxc
Veteran Member

I also do not notice "significantly" more regens. I did notice the car allows a regen to begin sooner after it is initially started. I have not noticed a huge jump in the number of regens.

I am only one data point but the "more adblue consumption" seems to be insignificant and not noticeable. Up until my lost oil change I had been topping off the DEF at every oil change. I decided to see how long it actually lasts post fix, and skipped the top off at my 60k service. I am pushing 63k now and still haven't received the low DEF warning. To me this says the average driver will never notice the increase.
demagxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:26   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I have a little over 6k miles on my new left over 2015 Beetle and haven't had the warning for def come on yet. My old 2013 Passat made it at least 10k between fills. I will see if this one does.