www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 5th, 2018, 07:33   #31
wispassat

Fuel Economy: 40

UPDATE: its now 2/5, cars been parked at dealer since 12/19. VW Customer Care calls every Friday afternoon to tell me they have no answer yet! seems to be random with these TDI's. and they have not isolated the issue with the programming. I am currently in a 2017 CC so I have no complaint's other than getting 26 MPG compared to 38-40 with my TDI. Some issues are the wife cant drive the loaner, which I will be addressing with the dealer today, and the fact IT ISNT MY CAR! It does not seem to be a high priority for VW as I don't think it is affecting that many cars. This whole thing is very frustrating. I was told by the dealer they have 5 TDI's parked behind the shop right now with the same issue. Is anyone else thinking Class Action lawsuit?

2006 Jetta TDI 312,000 miles
2013 Passat TDI 47,000 miles titanium Silver - Black interior
wispassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:08   #32
KERMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaric1.9TDI View Post
1. What kind of tune do you recommend, is it the stock tune before the fix or something like stage 1 tune?
2. Will it affect the warranty that VW provided together with the fix?
3. If it does, can the tune be removed and set back to VW fix tune in case there is a warranty cover issue on the car?
We'll tune it with the qpro and instantly fix the car, even if it has an existing SCR lock preventing it from starting. Flash the tune, done. Problem solved.

Never in more than 10 years of doing this, ever had anyone report a single
dealer warranty problem.

Qpro means you can remove the tune anytime you want, though you won't want to.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 05:38   #33
Bloomy

Just wanted to add that my 2013 Passat is doing the same thing. AdBlue warning comes on with either a 100 or 200 mile warning. Took it in once and they did the regen, reflash twice to get it to clear. Came back on six days later. Kept driving it and the AdBlue warning went away with the CEL staying on VCDS gave me the P204F. The CEL has left as well now. I will keep driving it until I see VW has a fix for it. I do have to say my service department has been very good. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs except for warranty work, so I had very little interaction with them until now. We are however entertaining trading it if this continues. The question is what to get.......

Bloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 10:21   #34
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

I just got a call from VOA about those of us who have had the fix done and are still having problems offering to buy back the vehicle. We'll see what happens.
Old February 14th, 2018, 20:05   #35
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

Kerma has the real fix
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:22   #36
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
Kerma has the real fix
Probably so

Meanwhile....

I received another call from VOA she said that the offer still stands to buyback my car. Supposedly the fix is stuck with the people in Germany and there is no ETA on it. When I pushed her she said I should be able to pick it up from the dealer acknowledging that there is currently no fix (not that there may not be one in the future) and that I am willing to drive it with the CEL. I also received an e-mail from her with her contact info in case I want to do the buyback.

At this point I will pick it up once I can coordinate that with the dealership. I will probably then work on getting a tune done to deal with the problem once and for all.
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:32   #37
ssaric1.9TDI

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
Probably so

Meanwhile....

I received another call from VOA she said that the offer still stands to buyback my car. Supposedly the fix is stuck with the people in Germany and there is no ETA on it. When I pushed her she said I should be able to pick it up from the dealer acknowledging that there is currently no fix (not that there may not be one in the future) and that I am willing to drive it with the CEL. I also received an e-mail from her with her contact info in case I want to do the buyback.

At this point I will pick it up once I can coordinate that with the dealership. I will probably then work on getting a tune done to deal with the problem once and for all.
Will you please keep us posted once you get the tune and let us know how it is?
Old February 19th, 2018, 13:51   #38
bcasmus

I am having the exact same problem now with my 2014 Passat. I opted for the fix & payment in August 2017. Drove the car substantially for the first time in November and got no more than 70 miles down the road before the 200 miles till death warning came on. It was thanksgiving and nothing was open, so we opted to drive the car for the long weekend. Despite the CEL light being on, the car did restart even after 400 miles of off and on driving over 4 days. It worked fine except it DRANK fuel. I lost a minimum of 10MPG. Took it into the dealership on Monday and they put a new NOX sensor in and turned it back to me.
Fast forward to this past weekend when we drove the car out of town again, same issue. Took the car in and that is when I learned of this "pending" fix from VW. They offered me nothing - no timeline, no loaner, nothing. I'm suppose to drive from Nebraska to Galveston, TX next month non-stop and I'm thinking I'm basically doomed. Is there anyway for me to reset this piece of garbage on my own?
bcasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 05:20   #39
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasmus View Post
I am having the exact same problem now with my 2014 Passat. I opted for the fix & payment in August 2017. Drove the car substantially for the first time in November and got no more than 70 miles down the road before the 200 miles till death warning came on. It was thanksgiving and nothing was open, so we opted to drive the car for the long weekend. Despite the CEL light being on, the car did restart even after 400 miles of off and on driving over 4 days. It worked fine except it DRANK fuel. I lost a minimum of 10MPG. Took it into the dealership on Monday and they put a new NOX sensor in and turned it back to me.
Fast forward to this past weekend when we drove the car out of town again, same issue. Took the car in and that is when I learned of this "pending" fix from VW. They offered me nothing - no timeline, no loaner, nothing. I'm suppose to drive from Nebraska to Galveston, TX next month non-stop and I'm thinking I'm basically doomed. Is there anyway for me to reset this piece of garbage on my own?
As all of the previous replys say there is nothing that can be done within the VW realm. You can reset the CEL but it will keep coming back. The only potential solution is to tune the ECU and see if that doesn't cause the CEL to go away. I am picking my car up tomorrow and have the tune on order to try.
Old February 20th, 2018, 15:43   #40
bcasmus

Quote:
As all of the previous replys say there is nothing that can be done within the VW realm. You can reset the CEL but it will keep coming back. The only potential solution is to tune the ECU and see if that doesn't cause the CEL to go away. I am picking my car up tomorrow and have the tune on order to try.
Which tune did you order?
Old February 20th, 2018, 16:42   #41
d2freeman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Keep us informed, in a few more months my warranty is gone and I will be looking for a tune as well. Let us know if it fixes any of the other "fix" issues.
d2freeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 09:31   #42
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Their standard ECU tune, they only have 1 that I saw and they talked about. I've also ordered the DSG tune but am waiting for them to get the unit back before they can ship it to me.
Old February 21st, 2018, 12:57   #43
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You'll love the car all over again, Bill.

Funny, the EPA pushes for "fixing" the cars to run "cleaner", then in order to get the cars to even work remotely correctly they have to turn to an aftermarket tuner, and I am *pretty sure* they will be "dirtier" than when they left the factory in the first place.

And it isn't just Volkswagen. EPA pushes, the owners push back... harder.

BTW, the second my SCR/DPF/EGR equipped Sprinter so much as farts, it is all getting deleted too. Not playing that game. I hope it doesn't, but I bet it will.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 05:02   #44
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
You'll love the car all over again, Bill.

Funny, the EPA pushes for "fixing" the cars to run "cleaner", then in order to get the cars to even work remotely correctly they have to turn to an aftermarket tuner, and I am *pretty sure* they will be "dirtier" than when they left the factory in the first place.

And it isn't just Volkswagen. EPA pushes, the owners push back... harder.

BTW, the second my SCR/DPF/EGR equipped Sprinter so much as farts, it is all getting deleted too. Not playing that game. I hope it doesn't, but I bet it will.
Yep when I had my '05 F350 PowerStroke dually the first thing I did to it was to do a cat-back delete and install a MBRP dual exhaust (2 - 5" pipes instead of 1 3" pipe) followed by a DiabloSport tune.

Imagine my love when my MPG went up by 2 MPG on the highway while at the same time gaining 100 HP and 250 Ft/Lb of tire burning umph!
Old February 24th, 2018, 15:32   #45
bcasmus

I spoke to VW of America Thursday about a pending fix on these cars. The lady I spoke with was extremely helpful and stated that VW is expected to announce the first full week of March the fix. Nontheless, I've gone ahead and also opted for engine and DSG tuning.