How to remove ALH alternator pulley in car

technocrat

TDI
jetta, 2004, tan
Lesson learned the hard way about alternator pulley removal.

Are you turning the tool in the right direction? That would be counter-clockwise. To clarify, you hold the alternator shaft solid with the small bit and rotate the hollow splined tool counter-clockwise.
Fellow armchair mechanics please take note of this and understand exactly what you are loosening and what you are holding still. The longer thinner tool slides into the alternator shaft end to prevent it from turning. The shorter and wider piece with the many splines is what grabs hold of the pulley so that it can be spun off the threaded shaft. Relative to the alternator shaft, the pulley unscrews counter clockwise like the big nut it is.

If you do it wrong like I did, you may end up shearing off a piece of the alternator shaft and feeling like a fool. Add another screw-up to my wealth of experience. :eek:

sportymode

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 1.9
Discovered that the guys were using the wrong bit so we checked the pulley and alternator shaft with a mirror. The alternator shaft spline is sheared - assuming that is because we used the wrong bit. Going remove the alternator next. What is the best option - fix the alternator shaft, just replace the pulley, buy a new alternator???

jnl_public

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Regarding the 2001 TDI Jetta Tensioner:

1. I've read some posts (I believe in our forum) where it was mentioned that the tensioner has three bolts in a triangle pattern fastening it to the rest of the engine, mine appears to only have two bolts in a line fastening it. Is this normal? Before I try to remove it I am hoping to learn that I have a newer (or older) tension but in any case normal.
  2. Second, once the tensioner is removed and I'm ready to reattach it, does one re-fasten the tensioner with the bolts first and then using leverage move the tensioner backwards in order to be able to re-thread the belt around its pulley.

Thanks all!

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

1. I've read some posts (I believe in our forum) where it was mentioned that the tensioner has three bolts in a triangle pattern fastening it to the rest of the engine, mine appears to only have two bolts in a line fastening it. Is this normal? Before I try to remove it I am hoping to learn that I have a newer (or older) tension but in any case normal.
  2. Second, once the tensioner is removed and I'm ready to reattach it, does one re-fasten the tensioner with the bolts first and then using leverage move the tensioner backwards in order to be able to re-thread the belt around its pulley.

Thanks all!
There should be 3 bolts, I think one is sort of hidden.

You have to replace the tensioner before replacing the belt, it would be a real battle to get the bolts started while holding the tensioner "open".

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Discovered that the guys were using the wrong bit so we checked the pulley and alternator shaft with a mirror. The alternator shaft spline is sheared - assuming that is because we used the wrong bit. Going remove the alternator next. What is the best option - fix the alternator shaft, just replace the pulley, buy a new alternator???
I assume you meant that the female end of the alternator shaft is mangled... If that is the case, you may still be able to get the pulley off once the alternator is removed from the car... although it's not recommended, I'd use an air impact gun to unscrew the old pulley... (make sure that the splined tool is well seated in the pulley!!!)... the inertia of the armature should permit short blasts of the gun to loosen the pulley... Then you could determine if the end of the alternator shaft is beyond redemption, or you could just do the reverse to install the new pulley... keep in mind that the pulley doesn't have to be all that tight when put on, as the rotation of the engine will tighten it while running...

Good luck,

Yuri

rcolazo89

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
is it possible to revive the photos on the first post of the thread? I did my tensioner and idler pulley last night but could not figure out how to get my metalnerd tool set working because nothing would fit.

Yes, I am novice but I handled the other two with no issue but I was scratching my head because the sales guy at idparts told me the tool kit worked with alternator in car.

Thanks!

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
And as for a picture of the dimentions of the tool, here is a picture that Bear posted a few months back in Paramedicks how to thread:

So it looks like the length is 2-3/8", is that right?
oldpoopie says the length is 1-15/16"
I don't want to remove alt from car.
Exactly. The new Metalnerd tripplesquare cannot be used. Get your local Snap-On driver to give you the part shown in the the photo above. They keep them on the truck for repairs. They press the socket adapter off the old damaged shank and onto the new one. Costs about $10.
Total length from tip to end of round section is 1-15/16" Hex section is 3/8".

Last edited:

JohnDN

TDI
2001 Jetta
I had to replace the voltage regulator and pulley on my alternator just a few days ago on my '01 Jetta. Turns out that AutoZone now stocks the tool needed to remove the pulley. It's the "OEM Alternator Decoupler Pulley Puller/Installer" with OEM (the brand) Part#27275. It is in their Loan-a-Tool program, so it's essentially free to use (after returning it). If you expect this to be a one-time repair job, this is a nice option to save some money over buying the tool.

Edit:
I should mention that I did this with the alternator off of the car. I didn't try it with the alternator on the car, but I expect the tools are too long to work for that.

Last edited:

JoeDaVex

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI 5 Speed
Thanks to the info in this post I just changed the pulley in the wife's 2000 Jetta. I'm so glad I spent the $30 on the tool. It made the job quick and painless.
Total time was under an hour and I ordered the metalnerd tool and pulley both from IDparts.com for a total of $72 shipped.

Thanks to all those that went before me and documented the process so clearly.
Joe

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
Just replaced the tensioner, belt and alternator pulley on my 05 PD. The tool makes it very easy, just make sure to spray some penetrating oil between the alternator and the pulley... made it pretty easy to get the pulley off with everything in the car. Took about 5 minutes to reinstall everything, and now the tensioner barely moves as designed!

I wish changing my clutch was as easy!

Last edited:

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Pulley replacement from hood?

Hello all, here's a revival!

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI (MK5, automatic), and I have been hearing that "chattering" sound indicative of a malfunctioning alternator pulley.

I recently had it in the dealership for a warranty repair of my turbocharger actuator (thanks, emissions fix warranty!), and they told me I needed my alternator pulley replaced - although they wanted $800 for it.
Local mechanic wants $500, but looking online and reading this thread, I think I can do it myself.

Luckily, since this thread started I think that the tool to loosen the pulley is available without having to make it. I purchased this tool and I purchased the new alternator pulley and serpentine belt from Blau Parts.

However, I don't have a lift or jack stands, and I'm still learning my way around my engine. I found this BlauParts video, in which he is able to change the pulley from above by moving the fuel filter aside.

Has anyone tried replacing the pulley from above? If so, can you comment on how easy it was? Besides the tool I already purchased, I imagine I will need breaker bars to loosen the pulley, and a torque wrench to get it back to spec when I reinstall (plan to borrow those tools from AutoZone).

Thanks for the advice / encouragement!

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Hello all, here's a revival!

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI (MK5, automatic), and I have been hearing that "chattering" sound indicative of a malfunctioning alternator pulley.

I recently had it in the dealership for a warranty repair of my turbocharger actuator (thanks, emissions fix warranty!), and they told me I needed my alternator pulley replaced - although they wanted $800 for it.
Local mechanic wants $500, but looking online and reading this thread, I think I can do it myself.

Luckily, since this thread started I think that the tool to loosen the pulley is available without having to make it. I purchased this tool and I purchased the new alternator pulley and serpentine belt from Blau Parts.

However, I don't have a lift or jack stands, and I'm still learning my way around my engine. I found this BlauParts video, in which he is able to change the pulley from above by moving the fuel filter aside.

Has anyone tried replacing the pulley from above? If so, can you comment on how easy it was? Besides the tool I already purchased, I imagine I will need breaker bars to loosen the pulley, and a torque wrench to get it back to spec when I reinstall (plan to borrow those tools from AutoZone).

Thanks for the advice / encouragement!
Hey there. People were "making" (read modifying) a tool so it would fit between the frame rail and pulley on an ALH (1999 to 2003) TDI only. The triple square bit is short and allows pulley removal without removing the alternator entirely. A huge time saver. Ive not had to do a pulley on anything newer than an 06 yet so I cant speak to accessability on those.