New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Well, a lot of people don't live in places where that's an issue. In Canada, the Passat comes with a block heater. For people living in places like North Dakota, the lack of a block heater is a problem.

Heated lenses is another layer of complexity, like so many other things including sunroofs, navigation, backup cameras, airbags, seat belts, CD changers, ad infinitum.

LED lighting is more efficient than incandescent, unless the waste heat from incandescent bulbs is needed for heating purposes. So, for those who don't live in cold climates, LED is more attractive -- just like not having to pay for a block heater.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In Canada, the Passat comes with a block heater.
Is this true? I saw this posted about the '11 Jetta in Canada, too. Thought it was another myth like the glow plugs that come on when you open the driver's door. Remember that?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Or the fuel pump starting when you hit the unlock button?

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Is this true? I saw this posted about the '11 Jetta in Canada, too. Thought it was another myth like the glow plugs that come on when you open the driver's door. Remember that?
I read somewhere that a block heater is standard for the Canadian 2012 Passat. What people in North Dakota are supposed to do remains to be seen, because I haven't seen any evidence that VW is allowing buyers to add this as an option.

Edit: This is odd. A listing in Texas shows a block heater.
myturbodiesel said:
The VW Passat TDI SE ($25,995) comes with:

-17" "Sonoma" alloy wheels
-6 speed manual transmission
-fog lamps
-8 way driver power seat with power lumbar function (front-back only, not up-down) and 6 way manual passenger seat
-leatherette (vinyl) interior
-leather steering wheel, shift knob, and parking brake handle
-full multifunction steering wheel and display
-rear multilink suspension
-electric power assist steering (saves energy)
-premium 8 RCD 510 touchscreen 6cd changer radio
-bluetooth
-dual zone auto climate control
-cold weather pack (heated front seats and windshield washer nozzles)
-soft touch dashboard (higher quality plastic)
-engine block heater (standard in Canada)
-auto headlights / wipers and auto dimming interior rear mirror
-diversity antenna (gives a stronger radio signal)
-3 years/ 36,000 miles free scheduled service
If those specs are correct, it looks like all the TDIs have a block heater. Hmm...

link

Here is a Canadian specs listing.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I wonder where myturbodiesel.com got that list. If it's from a VW web site I'd call it suspect. Lots of misinformation there. Also, this may be early data that doesn't play out in production. I'm betting there won't be a factory-installed block heater. To my knowledge no VW diesel car has had one.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Or the fuel pump starting when you hit the unlock button?
Can't speak for the TDI models, but the 2006 Jetta 2.5 I just traded in would power the fuel pump when the driver's door was unlocked and opened. The sound was pretty obvious. Only ran for a second or so to pressurize the lines.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
I wonder where myturbodiesel.com got that list. If it's from a VW web site I'd call it suspect. Lots of misinformation there. Also, this may be early data that doesn't play out in production. I'm betting there won't be a factory-installed block heater. To my knowledge no VW diesel car has had one.
I've been wrong before, but I'm fairly certain the CRs are block heater equipped in Canuck land.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I've been wrong before, but I'm fairly certain the CRs are block heater equipped in Canuck land.
I can definitely confirm that my Golf TDI came with a factory block heater, and an extension cord that plugs into a receptacle in the lower grille.

You can see the cord in my trunk just to the lower left in this picture, I keep it in the little storage cubbyhole there:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Is it a block heater or a coolant heater? Where does it live? Curious because since the days of my '78 Rabbit VW has been reluctant to say they would provide or approve of block heaters. If they now have them that's great. But it seems to be a significant change in direction. I'm also wondering why they think the common rail cars need them.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It's a coolant heater, along the lines of a Frostheater, although ETKA uses the terms interchangeably.

The hose between the thermostat-oil cooler-heater core pipe and the oil cooler is replaced by the heater hardware.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
It's a coolant heater, along the lines of a Frostheater, although ETKA uses the terms interchangeably.
The hose between the thermostat-oil cooler-heater core pipe and the oil cooler is replaced by the heater hardware.
I haven't a clue what it heats, but the VW.ca website says this on its Golf TDI specifications page:
2.0 TDI, 140 horsepower engine with 6-speed manual
2.0 TDI, 140 horsepower, 6-speed DSG automatic engine with Tiptronic®
16” alloy wheels
Heatable front seats and washer nozzles
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Fog Lights
Engine block heater

Golf TDI Features & Specs

I had a look under the hood but with all the shrouds, wiring harnesses and equipment I can't see where the power line goes to.

On the grille though, this is where it plugs in, under a little spring loaded cover near the left foglight.

Cover closed:

Cover opened:

Last edited:

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
That is cool - I want that!! The fogs would be nice too while I am at it. Can we order the heater, harness & plug here in US??

I did not have issues last winter which was cold, but insurance never hurts....

bhtooefr

TDI
None
As far as the VW parts distribution network is concerned, the US and Canada are the same region, so yes.

hysterwv

Veteran Member
Really? AWD helps you see better? ;)
I agree. I'm thinking that you experience worse driving conditions in MI than he does in MD. My B5.5 is nearly as capable as my previous A6 4.2 quattro. I take it skiing regularly. I'd almost RATHER drive it to the mountain than our Expedition.

The issue I see with all weather driving is the 235/45-18 tires. Wide tires STINK. I had 255s on my Audi and they're like skates in the snow. Additionally, you can't get a long-wearing tire in a 235/45-18. Best bet of the tires available would be the Conti ExtremeContacts. I used them a few times on the Audi. Michelin Pilot Sports were just too pricey and wore out too fast.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I agree. I'm thinking that you experience worse driving conditions in MI than he does in MD. My B5.5 is nearly as capable as my previous A6 4.2 quattro. I take it skiing regularly. I'd almost RATHER drive it to the mountain than our Expedition.

The issue I see with all weather driving is the 235/45-18 tires. Wide tires STINK. I had 255s on my Audi and they're like skates in the snow. Additionally, you can't get a long-wearing tire in a 235/45-18. Best bet of the tires available would be the Conti ExtremeContacts. I used them a few times on the Audi. Michelin Pilot Sports were just too pricey and wore out too fast.
I have 235/45-17. Continental DWS. And I had an A6 4.2 at (245/45-17) one time also. And a B5.5 (205/55-16)(195/65-15 winter Altimax Artic)

Last edited:

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Is it a block heater or a coolant heater? Where does it live? Curious because since the days of my '78 Rabbit VW has been reluctant to say they would provide or approve of block heaters. If they now have them that's great. But it seems to be a significant change in direction. I'm also wondering why they think the common rail cars need them.
Some time ago, I read in a review (in this forum?) that the person driving found that the heater put out hot air right after starting the car, suggesting an integrated electric heater in the AC that's switched on while the coolant is still too cold. (This effect couldn't be achieved with coolant heating that's not plugged into the wall, could it?)

Does the new Passat have this feature?

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
Im planning on putting my deposit down this week for a Passat TDI in red.....and they are saying January for the delivery date....

:D

first VW
first diesel
first new car....
January :eek:. Hope that is overestimation!!! Ordered mine on 8/6 and was told mid-September.

Read a post that said any B4 Tdi will do the same thing. Well, true, but heated seats, 8 airbags, and an intact headliner make a car my wife is willing to drive and I feel safe hauling my 2 year old around in. Can't wait for my first new car to show up!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There's an electric heater in the cabin heater setup that sends warm air to the cockpit. I don't that has anything to do with heating up the coolant or block.

And the dealer that loaned us the Passat says he won't see any to sell for two months.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
DSG Tranny

:)

For those who might have wondered as I did, I can confirm that the new Passat
has the same overall gearing with the DSG as do the 2010 Jettas with DSG.

In other words, 2.31 overall.

The SEL Passat TDI with only 41 miles on the odometer felt very powerful
and rode rather well with the 235/45-18s which surprised me.

When will VW get with the program and give us a Passat Wagon? :confused:

:D

D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Derrel: They'd be glad to sell you a Passat-based three-row crossover whenever they actually make it. Add in a lowering kit, and it might kinda sorta be a Passat wagon...

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
There's an electric heater in the cabin heater setup that sends warm air to the cockpit. I don't that has anything to do with heating up the coolant or block.
That's was my understanding of the description. I thought about adding an electric fan heater for years while living in MA/ME, and either Webasto or Eberspaecher then made the idea legit a few years ago by offering a plain cabin-mounted 12V miniature bathroom-type heater as the bottom end of their block heater line.

So you're saying the new Passat does, too, include this feature? Cheap to implement though it may be, I'd say that is a true luxury feature. (And standard seat heaters in the SE too, right? Can't wait for winter now.)

And the dealer that loaned us the Passat says he won't see any to sell for two months.
My dealer said "60 days" if I order "now" (which was 60 days from the September rollout date), but also 60 days from whatever later date I might order. I think that means I need to call 800-VW-gives-a- if I want to get a sensible answer to that question. I still need to call them to ask if the pineapple peel (like orange peel, but much bigger) on the black demo here is just a demo thing or the way they're going to be.
Perhaps they could also tell me how stockpiling cars in Chattanooga causes more sales.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Our demo had a pretty crappy paint job, too. And I didn't think the electric cabin heater in my '06 worked very well. It wasn't that noticeable.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Electric cabin heaters are fairly noticeable....in August. Not so much in January. Its hard to drag a few kW of heat out of 1.4kW alternator. Especially when it is running at low output at low rpm.

SamJammerTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta White automatic

It looks like the Don was talking about rain, not snow, so wide tires are not at a disadvantage. I doubt the rain is any more severe in Michigan than in Maryland.