Rust repair help. Side skirts. Wheel well corners.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Yeah, I’m sure the stuff needs to be diluted to get it through the nozzle, of the aerosol cans.

I’m thinking the cans might be better for the doors, so it doesn’t clog the weep holes. It’d also creep into the seams and pinch welds better.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
the best underligning for these cars was to strip them down to bare metal, and weld all the seams up, then POR, then Epoxy primer, and a nice coat of truck bed ligner HOT applicaiton.

i have had great sucsess with rubberized under spray, that cheep stuff from auto zone. next to no prep other than wire brush or wheel, rust converter, and 4 coats the first of them being put on as a light dusting, then with a chip brush you brush it around, i dont like how it ends up finished just sprayed on and is MUCH tougher if you go brush over it when wet. it also helps with it being even. for the price, its great and the areas i have done, i have never seen it go bad.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I deal with a lot of rust, on my old Rabbits. I’d never use undercoating. It gets breached, moisture gets under it and rust is happening and you’d never know it. My project car looked good, until I started removing the undercoating.... there was cancer everywhere.

I paint, then seamseal the weld. That’s it.

If you’re doing POR, then you don’t need epoxy and vice versa. They’re both encapsulators. I’ve used POR and still saw rust bleed through. I’ve used Eastwood products and saw the same. Nowadays, I just use Rust-Oleum.

FWIW, Napa is running a 20% discount on any 3 items. I picked up 3 aerosol cans of FF, for under $26. I may go back for a gallon.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I deal with a lot of rust, on my old Rabbits. I’d never use undercoating. It gets breached, moisture gets under it and rust is happening and you’d never know it. My project car looked good, until I started removing the undercoating.... there was cancer everywhere.

If you’re doing POR, then you don’t need epoxy and vice versa. They’re both encapsulators. I’ve used POR and still saw rust bleed through. I’ve used Eastwood products and saw the same. Nowadays, I just use Rust-Oleum.

FWIW, Napa is running a 20% discount on any 3 items. I picked up 3 aerosol cans of FF, for under $26. I may go back for a gallon.

-Todd

That's a good value, Autozone sells these retail for $11-12 last time I knew. I'll be picking up some more of this tomorrow!

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most places I checked seemed to be $10 per. If you want a case of 12, eBay was the best price at around $94 shipped.

Be sure you place the Napa order online and pick up in the store, otherwise they charge you $1 for a bag to stuff. They didn’t let me stack the AAA discount on top of the 20% discount. The sale ends 10/31, so there’s plenty of time.

I was watching some YouTube vids and many people were using a standard undercoating gun, and it was fine. I doubt there’s anything special about the official FF gun. I found a cheap gun with a flexible wand (and decent reviews) for about $14 shipped, on eBay. I’ll wait until I order the gallon, before buying the gun.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The deal got better. The prices dropped overnight; gallons went from $40 to $35 and cans went from $10 to $8. The 20% off still applies to any 3 items.

I wasn’t sure how long the price would be valid, so I ordered 2 gallons and 1 can. The 20% didn’t show in my cart, but it was still honored at the store. My can wasn’t there, but I still got 20% off.

Gallons become $28 and cans $6.40. I somehow only paid $27 per gallon...

They wouldn’t adjust the price I paid for yesterday’s cans, saying I’d need to go back to the original store...

Guess I’ll be ordering that undercoat gun, tonight.

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
The deal got better. The prices dropped overnight; gallons went from $40 to $35 and cans went from $10 to $8. The 20% off still applies to any 3 items.

I wasn’t sure how long the price would be valid, so I ordered 2 gallons and 1 can. The 20% didn’t show in my cart, but it was still honored at the store. My can wasn’t there, but I still got 20% off.

They wouldn’t adjust the price I paid for yesterday’s cans, saying I’d need to go back to the original store...

-Todd
Clad something good came out of this thread...:rolleyes:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

-Todd
I noticed the prices were cheap, I couldn't figure out if that was pre or post 20% off so I didn't say anything.

I'd love to have a gun setup but doing only really a couple vehicle each year can hardly justify having it I would just end up coated in the stuff myself along with the bottom of the car.

Off to Napa tomorrow!!

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Todd, you are saying that you just paint the undercarriage of the car and spray on fluid film and that's it?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Surface rust, on stainless steel or chrome, that's not structural, has not bubbled paint or caused the metal to swell and flake, and is thus causing concern from a looks perspective.

Not even the same ball park as the rust in your pictures, sadly. :)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Todd, you are saying that you just paint the undercarriage of the car and spray on fluid film and that's it?

Not necessarily. I paint what I weld in, leaving no bare metal. I pay particular attention to the weld bead, to ensure there aren’t any missed pinholes. If the factory e-coat is good, I leave it alone, but it gets painted over. I then seam seal the weld bead.

I’ve never used FF, before. I’ve read people use linseed oil, gear oil, etc.... anything that’ll shed water, and stay on the metal. They act as “displacers”.

My truck will get FFed first. I’m seeing rust bleeding through the, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.... Big Blue, needs to live.

The Rotbox may not get any love. It’s pretty bad, lol. The rockers are Shutz and paint... if I tap them with my foot, they crumble. I was thinking of taping over the gaping holes, then painting for aesthetics. It’d at least keep road debris from going in...

A valuable video about removing rust by soaking parts in a water based chemical bath:
https://youtu.be/bfRXd3CcNl4

Are you planning on dipping your car?

The rust on your car isn’t structurally bearing, so just attack it with a grinder and knotted wheel, until you come to clean, sound metal. Paint over it, and the holes will act as a visual theft deterrent, along with the planned security system.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Pretty good example of what I mentioned about undercoating and why I don’t use it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvl9nt57Kg

-Todd