Engine Fault - Workshop!

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I recently had my timing belt done. No issues and the car seems to be running/driving fine. Although I do think the car's engine sounds a tad bit louder than it did before the timing belt service. Three days later, I'm accelerating from a stop sign (normal acceleration, AC is on) and I hear a "ding!". I quickly look down and see "Engine Fault - Workshop!" flash on my instrument panel. It was only there for a brief moment- 1-2 seconds. Of course I panic thinking here's the beginning of the end. I have NEVER, let me repeat, NEVER had that code flash on my car before. Yesterday, under the same circumstances, accelerating from a traffic light, just under 50 MPH, it happens again, and quickly goes away. My car has 112K miles. Car, engine have been flawless till now.
Before I call the dealership, I would like to hear from experienced "gurus" what is happening or what could have caused this. Is it possible the timing is off just a smidge? Is it possible to advance the timing like you can on gas/performance engines? The engine runs fine, torque feels good, and highway/city driving appears normal. I'm just afraid this will only get worse and then they (VW) will not honor the workmanship they did.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Do you have access to VCDS? You should check with that before going to guru/dealer.
Whoever did the timing belt should honor their workmanship, isn't dealer service warranty 12k/12 months, or something like that?
Keep us posted.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
LOL, dealer timing belts.... M&P strikes again.... :rolleyes:

But really, you should find out what DTC has been stored, and you'll need a suitable scan tool for that. It *might* not be related to the timing belt job, but I still very much doubt they did the job correctly... most don't. And now we've found out they are doing M&Ps on commonrail cars when the HPFP tooefs. Nice. :mad:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
There is now a code set and it must be read. Timing (injection) is an electronic function on your engine and really not adjustable. Since your timing belt was recently changed and in view of what you've shared I tend to think that the physical relationship between cam and crank is out of specification. This will show up as a torsion error on VagCom. Just remember that (0) could mean either a true torque value, or could also indicate out of range.

I might add that while there is no evidence that valves and pistons are presently touching, I would warn that they may be perilously close to doing so. Please don't take this chance as any contact is fatal.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I'll scan my car today with VAGCOM. Hopefully it will show the codes it displayed. Thank you for the responses. I'm not happy this has surfaced. I'll post the scan results.
What would need done/checked to see what is going on? Does the engine/belts need reset or realigned?

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
scan results

Summary from the scan I did this afternoon. There's some other info (part no, labels, revision, coding, VCID, freeze frame, etc.) that I left out. I can post the entire data output if you think it's necessary.

01-Engine Status: Malfunction
1 Fault Found
00022 - Bank 1: CMP Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P0016 - 00 - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
It would appear that cam and crank are out of range with each other. Not a good sign.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
So the computer knows the cam and crank are out of sync, and all it does is flash a momentary warning??!! I think that at least turn on the CEL,if not prevent the engine from even starting.

jgueld

TDI
09 JSW
hey ... had "P0016 incorrect correlation - intermittent" after TB. Readjusted the physical cam-crank relationship and everything's well after 20,000 kliks. Was a hassle having to redo the "relationship" but at least I didn't have to take the motor mount off again. Hope this helps.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
tdiatlast- I'm not sure what the warranty workmanship is. I'll find out tomorrow or when the dealer calls me back.

philngrayce- yes, the fault/code only lasts or displays for 1-2 seconds. I don't notice any change in power or acceleration, no noises, etc. It happens so quickly. When I gave the dealer the print out from VAGCOM, he said when they (VW) see the G40 / G28 codes the car almost always goes into limp mode and/or you lose power.

Does the dealership have the capability to put the car on a "dyno" and put the engine through a rigorous test? I would think after a timing belt service there is a fairly intense test/check to ensure the work was done properly and the engine is running like it should when it was new from the factory. I know this is "common sense", but I expect nothing less.

Driving a loaner (new Passat with V6) until the verdict comes back....

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, they botched the job... as I suspected. Morons.... :rolleyes:

Why do people even bother to take their car to a dealer for this? Isn't there already enough bad stuff well known about this kind of thing????

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
tdiatlast-

Does the dealership have the capability to put the car on a "dyno" and put the engine through a rigorous test? I would think after a timing belt service there is a fairly intense test/check to ensure the work was done properly and the engine is running like it should when it was new from the factory. I know this is "common sense", but I expect nothing less.
Dealer's don't put cars on dyno's after performing TB work (or anything else for that matter). They don't even have dyno's at dealer's locations. And if they did, I am positive everyone who brought a car in for service would get charged for a dyno run..hehe!

What they do is make sure the paint marks are dry and the car starts and runs before handing it back to you.

The way dealer's service departments work is fully explained in hundreds of threads here. I'l leave it here.

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
They don't even have dyno's at dealer's locations. And if they did, I am positive everyone who brought a car in for service would get charged for a dyno run..hehe!

Not to mention, every "tuner" with a cold air intake and a cat-back exhaust will be lined up around the block trying to see how many HP their mods didn't add.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The Dyno idea is kind of funny.

Running a car on a Dyno does put considerable stress a car. Could you imagine someone with an A3 having their T/B done and then having the car come apart on the dealers "proof of maintenance" Dyno run?

Service Adviser: "Ah sir, your T/B job went well, but you will need a new engine because your car threw a rod during the proof of maintenance Dyno run."

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I was thinking the same thing. Typical dealer doesn't give two hoots about how well a car runs. Just test for the obvious after work complete and git 'er back in the parking lot. No one will care for your car better than you. TDI's: it's not just a car, it's an adventure.

oilhammer

TDI
I've gotten sick TDIs from dealers a lot that ran awful, but so long as the scan tool said everything was OK, they said it was fine... :rolleyes:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
The problem with dealers is they're a business first and time is money. If you worked for the dealer as a tech and thought of your work as a 'labor of love'... you probably wouldn't last long. Pursuing "problems" there was no evidence for other than your opinion (or experience by your definition) would not endear you with management. The excuses they come up with to cover their sloppy work are what get me the most. Some of the stories I've overheard in the service dept. waiting room to hapless customers take politics to whole new depths.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
TB service (repair?) update

Appreciate all the comments, comedic anecdotes, "told you so", etc. I had originally planned to take my car to a local VW/Audi/BMW guru shop, but another VW TDI friend of mine recommended this dealer. Anyways.....
-
Took my car back in last week. TB service was practically re-done. Belt, tensioner, rollers, etc. all removed and rechecked. Work was done by VW Master Tech. Engine sounds "normal" again. Power, torque, etc. all feel the same/normal.
-
In another 110K miles I'll respond to the Service questionnaire about how satisfied I was with the work performed on my car. Then, and only then, will I be able to accurately answer how well the TB service really was.
-
Back to driving more, worrying less. (fingers crossed)
:D

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
A good buddy of mine once said most dealerships have one really good mechanic. Unfortunately, he's not the guy working on your car. He's the guy fixing the valve job, transmission rebuild or, in this case, timing belt that one of the other mechanics screwed up.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Hope your problems with the TB change are solved. Hope you don't need to "keep us posted"!!!!

Fahrspaß TDI

TDI
2009 2.0 CBEA Jetta
Adjusted timing to fix fault workshop

I replaced my timing belt and after i had a similar problem :confused: When I horsed the car a little the Engine Fault workshop would turn on. I watched a youtube video from my turbo diesel.com and i believe they made an error, the the cam pully, you MUST make sure the correct tool will fit in, in the video the guy said you can use something smaller (it has to be close) Well that will cause your fault engine light to come on, I should have known better. I adjusted the timing in the car using the correct pin (use caution on the pin, some are too big and get stuck in the head. I had to pry and twist to get mine out) The car runs great now! No fault or any problems. Seems to run better too.:D
Use caution using this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAi667H7M2Y