Engine Fault Light.

Morg

Since buying my 96'MK3 Golf TDi 8 months ago,I keep having the engine glow plug lamp flash, letting me know there is a fault on the management system.
I think the fault is on the engine' brake safety circuit because it only flashes when the brake pedal is left alone and instantly goes out when the pedal is pressed, this repeats every 5 minutes or so if the pedal isn't pressed.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this fault and could steer me in the right direction, if not an engine wiring diagram would be very useful.
Many thanks,
Ian M.

Morg

Brodie,
I have neither cruise control or ABS.

Morg. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brodie:
Morg,

Strange one eh? Do you have cruise control or ABS?

I'll Email a wiring diagram soon.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
I'm having problems with the wiring diagram so there may be a delay.

However I notice that the brake pedal switch (as distinct from the stop lamp switch) has a multiplug with two wires. These both go to the ecu and are linked in the diagram with most of the main engine sensors. I think the ecu gleans much information from the fact that you have your foot on the brake. It knows than you haven't got your foot on the throttle for instance, in fact the revs will die if you try this, you can't "toe and heel" a TDI! The brake switch is probably what tells the ecu to shut the fuel pump off during coasting as well. So I think you may have to bite the bullet and get a 1552 check. Look for an independant VW place though. I'm told that some of the latest Snap on or Sykes code readers will check most things on a TDI.

You can check the brake pedal switch with an ohms meter (although I doubt if that is the problem) Only do this with the ignition off and the multiplug off.

[This message has been edited by Brodie (edited April 23, 2000).]

valois

Banned
The brake pedal has 2 switches, F and F47. Both have to be synchronized to trip at the same time. If not, they are supposed to triger an emergency running situation with the ECU. It sounds like one of the switches is never opening.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Ah, I have that in my book too. The other swictch refered to is the stop lamp switch which I found hard to believe.

"The brake pedal and brake light switches must be syncronised to avoid engine running problems" It says. But why?