Injector Pump Calibration????

TDI
1.9 alh new beetle
I have a 03 VW Bug TDI with about 110K miles on it. Belts etc were done at about 90K. Just recently it started running rough and coughing black smoke. Son replaced the injectors. Still running rough and coughing black smoke, but evens out above 2500 RPM. Took it to the mechanic that did the belts and all the service on it. He has had it a week and is now telling me that the injector pump needs calibration?? Is this BS or does this happen. I am recently widowed, my husband dealt with automobile stuff in the past. Please help! Not sure what to do!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Sounds like somebody did not do the belt properly.

Get it to somebody who can double check the timing.

What injectors did your son put in it? Where they properly adjusted, if not this won't help matters and will make diagnosing more difficult.

The odds are you need the cam and injection pump properly timed, given the fact the belt was just done the odds are something is not set properly.

DB

TDI
1.9 alh new beetle
Thanks for your reply-It happens that the guy who did the belts was the guy who had the car. He has had it for over a week and not been able to figure out the problem other than saying "we think the injector pump needs to be recalibrated", but doing nothing because he didn't know how to do it. SO I took the car elsewhere. They were pissed-but too bad! The new guy comes highly recommended and is a certified diesel mechanic. He has resolved similar problems with other VW bugs which he says was resolved by re-calibrations of the injector pump. But they are checking it out. I feel much better since taking it back from the other guy. However, what a OX(&*$# jerk -the interior of the car is covered in grease and will need a major scrubbing.

On a happier note-I would like to take a minute to say I love the VW Bug TDI. In fact I just purchased a 2010 Audi A3 TDI. It is awesome. I could not bear to part with the VW TDI Bug especially since the dealer was not giving much on trade in and my son can use it instead of his truck (also a diesel). I love the TDI's however, maintance and repair work has been a real nite mare here in South Florida. Even the VW dealership has been a nite mare. It will be sometime before I need anyone to work on the Audi other than service. Hopefully I have found a decent diesel mechanic for the VW.

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE-I will keep it in mind.