Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

DieselSmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta
Re: Stories when filling up at \"gasoline station\"

I tried to bait and 'get' someone tonight at BP
I saw a guy with a TDI filling up at the diesel pump, and when he came out I said "hey you just filled diesel in that car!," to see if he'd react quickly with something witty as many have wanted to in this thread. In any case I just got a 'yeah, so?.' Oh well, he seemed to be a nice guy and also loves the 50 cetane BP Supreme! He is on this forum apparently so whats up buddy if you read this!

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet

I too goofed and grabbed the wrong handle (green) at a BP /Kangaroo station and 200 dollars latter and a embarasment I was on my way---- in Texas Diesel is Green, in florida it is black, alway look and just don't grab!

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel

Most, but not all of the diesel nozzle handles around here, are green. I almost made the same mistake.

trouter

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Stn Wgn , 2003, mojave beige

Ours are yellow,, just like the diesel fuel containers that one can buy.,,,,,,,,,,,,but ,,,,,,,,,,some are black,, never seen a green one.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus

In Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Utah all the ones I've seen have been green...
In Finland they are green.
In UK they are green as well--check out this pic I found while looking (Doesn't show pump color, but it does show something else interesting!)
-BB

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather

When I was going to pull up to the diesel pump, a Chevy Mailbu was in front of it on the side I need to be on, one of the occupants was at the cashier's hut. I though "How rude, parking in front of the diesel pump". So I turned around and backed in along the other side. Started filling my TDI. Then I noticed the guy had come back and he was trying to fill the Malibu with diesel. He was trying to force the nozzel past the ubleaded fuel restrictor in the filler neck. I could have said something, but I just watched
. He did this for about thirty seconds, getting more frustrated all the time. Then it dawned on him. IT WAS A DIESEL PUMP
Then he opened the passenger door and told his buddy to pull up to the other pumps. Neither of them had a clue!

--Nate

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

He was trying to force the nozzel past the ubleaded fuel restrictor in the filler neck.
Man Nate, how long have you been driving diesels? You can't even spell that other kind of fuel!

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red

That Sharan looks like it has third row seating to boot. I want one, for my wife, ya, that's it, for my wife.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)

In Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Utah all the ones I've seen have been green...
In Finland they are green.
In UK they are green as well--check out this pic I found while looking (Doesn't show pump color, but it does show something else interesting!)
-BB
1. The image is not from the UK. Cars are driven on the right side of the road, and the store sign is in German.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus

Oops..my bad.
Still, Washington, Oregon, etc... Finland and apparently Germany have green pumps...
I was trying to point out the Sharan with the T<font color="red">DI</font> badge.

-BB

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI

I pulled into a station near Forest Lake, MN, earlier today. Just as i was getting started, this person pulls up with a diesel Excursion, saying it was very close to empty; she is watching as I fill up, then vent in an additional 2+ gallons. She is on the other side of the pump, and needs the same hose that I am using. I finish my business, go in and pay, and then she starts pumping on the othe side (with the readout showing on my side. While she is filling, we discuss our vehicles, including the fuel economy of both (hers gets about 18 miles per gallon, and I tell her mine gets about 40), and the mentions that she would go with a Beetle if there was a convertible that ran on diesel. She pumps in a little over 43 gallons, totalling a little over $90, and heads in to pay, and then I leave.

Dan_Ruddock

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS

If what you are saying is she paid for your fuel than you are a jerk. Dan

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI

If what you are saying is she paid for your fuel than you are a jerk. Dan
She did not start until after I paid for my fuel.

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now

I was driving on the New Jersey Turnpike today on my way home and I wanted to fill up with cheap NJ diesel ($2.09) instead of CT and MA diesel at $2.25+; eventhough I still had a quarter of a tank left.

I pull into the main part of the fueling area and almost all of the lines have at least 5 cars, except the very left pump. Having our fuel doors on the passenger side is definitely an advantage. I pull right up to the first pump. In NJ you are not allowed to pump your 'gasoline' so the guy is ready to fill me up.

I roll down my window and I start to ask where the diesel pumps are. Before I could finish he instantly points over to the truck pumps.

I pull around to the truck pumps and start filling up very slowly because it is one of those high capacity diesel pumps.

The trucker guy next to me looks at my car and asks in disbelief, "Is that a diesel?". I say, "Yup, 40 miles to the gallon".

He looks at my license plate and says, "Massachusetts?". I say. "Yes, I won't have any trouble getting home, and probably a couple weeks before I have to refeul again."

He seemed impressed.

and with that story, I hit the 50,000 mile mark today.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI

I was driving on the New Jersey Turnpike today on my way home and I wanted to fill up with cheap NJ diesel ($2.09) instead of CT and MA diesel at $2.25+; eventhough I still had a quarter of a tank left.

I pull into the main part of the fueling area and almost all of the lines have at least 5 cars, except the very left pump. Having our fuel doors on the passenger side is definitely an advantage. I pull right up to the first pump. In NJ you are not allowed to pump your 'gasoline' so the guy is ready to fill me up.

I roll down my window and I start to ask where the diesel pumps are. Before I could finish he instantly points over to the truck pumps.

I pull around to the truck pumps and start filling up very slowly because it is one of those high capacity diesel pumps.

The trucker guy next to me looks at my car and asks in disbelief, "Is that a diesel?". I say, "Yup, 40 miles to the gallon".

He looks at my license plate and says, "Massachusetts?". I say. "Yes, I won't have any trouble getting home, and probably a couple weeks before I have to refeul again."

He seemed impressed.

and with that story, I hit the 50,000 mile mark today.
And to think that I was ignored at a service plaza on the New Jersey Turnpike myself.

One interesting thing, though - the diesel prices were the same at the Lombardi plaza as they were at the southern end of the turnpike, and you can get to the Lombardi plaza pumps without paying a toll.

EZC6083

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Black

Not ashamed, proud, but think my baby's ass looks better without the letters. :0p

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat

And to think that I was ignored at a service plaza on the New Jersey Turnpike myself.

One interesting thing, though - the diesel prices were the same at the Lombardi plaza as they were at the southern end of the turnpike, and you can get to the Lombardi plaza pumps without paying a toll.
Once you're on the turnpike all service areas are accessible without having to pay a toll.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI

Once you're on the turnpike all service areas are accessible without having to pay a toll.
What I meant was that you do not have to go through a toll plaza to reach this plaza - it is north of the toll plazas on both the eastern and western spurs, and it is possible to enter from the southbound lanes and leave northbound and not pay any toll.

here it is on the map

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto

i was down south jersey and diesel was 2.05 on the pkway
but 1.89 anywhere off the pkway (rt 30 ) in pleasantville
was where i filled made it backhome to northern vt
and drove for 2 days before filling ...allways nervous
about how well southjersey fuel is winterized ..

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto

I got one in a different vein.
I was in Ireland last year .
we had rented an opal astra.
actually a nice driving car.
a gasser though.
i went to fill up at some small town station grabbed the nozzle and stuck it in the filler.
The attenadant quietly in a brough asked me if that was a diesel i was fillin..i said no.. he said you probably don't want to put diesel fuel in it than do ya..

Fortunatly i had not turned it on yet. The pumps in
ireland are not as clearly differentiated as they are here
in the states.Probably because 50% of the cars are diesel..
whew!!!

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M

Unlike a number of the stories here at least he asked before you filled instead of waiting until after.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI

Bump.

As I was filling tonight, I ran into another TDIer who had not heard of TDIClub.com (his was a 1998 Jetta TDI, over 100k miles). We talked for a bit.

Once I got back to my car after paying, a Ford F350(?) pulls up, surprised to see my Beetle at the diesel pump, wondering if it is a diesel. My engine was running, and I said it was, and asked him if it sounded the part. He was contemplating the meaning of this as I pulled out of the station.

This was at the Moto Mart on Hiawatha in Minneapolis.

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.

OMGOGMGOMGOMGOGM!!!!

This thread is stil chuggin along! Let's keep the stories coming! Oh, and TY for y'als contribution!

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red

I have been buying diesel at the same Moble station on rt1 in Plainsboro NJ for 6 years. Every Friday or so, I drive in between 7pm and 7:30pm, pull up to the diesel pump, sit for a few minutes until one of four attendants, who have not changed in the past 6 years, walk over to me and says “Sir, that’s a diesel pump.” I say, I know, please fill it up with diesel. The attendants always look at me funny until the light bulb go off with finally recognizing me. Every week for 6 years. I guess it’s good to know that my car and I are so unmemorable. Maybe I should start a new career as a private detective.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

I have been buying diesel at the same Moble station on rt1 in Plainsboro NJ for 6 years. Every Friday or so, I drive in between 7pm and 7:30pm, pull up to the diesel pump, sit for a few minutes until one of four attendants, who have not changed in the past 6 years, walk over to me and says “Sir, that’s a diesel pump.” I say, I know, please fill it up with diesel. The attendants always look at me funny until the light bulb go off with finally recognizing me. Every week for 6 years. I guess it’s good to know that my car and I are so unmemorable. Maybe I should start a new career as a private detective.
In NJ it's illegal to pump your own GAS, but the law doesn't apply to DIESEL fuel. You can legally pump your own DIESEL in NJ.

I wonder what the attendant(s) would have said and done if you simply pulled up to the DIESEL pump, got out, and then proceeded to pump your own DIESEL. Could be interesting!

TDIs are fun!

~ n1das

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI

Bump.

Too good of a thread to see shuffled down